PDA

View Full Version : doing my 1st self assessment....HELP!!!!

applesmum
18-05-2009, 07:50 PM
Hi All
No doubt a daft question but here goes....
just filling in self assessment - allowable business expenses - do I put thees, amount I take for my wage in the "Wages, salaries & other staff costs" box?

Also part of my income for the year was maternity allowance - is this tax exempt and if so how do i show this on the form?

Thanks in advance!
Jo xx

TheBTeam
18-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Hi, can't help with the maternity bit, it might be wise if it isn't covered in the explanatory notes to give them a call.

As far as your wages for childminding, what your income is less your wear and tear 10% plus other business expenses is your wages (net profit)

So you write in your gross income, your expenses (inc w/tear) and this leaves your net profit, you do not write anything in the wages bit, unless you have an employed assistant.

Chatterbox Childcare
18-05-2009, 08:03 PM
You should have your gross income from childminding on the self employed form and then total expenses of the business under expenses

I don't know where but the maternity benefits will go in the main form. Call the IR help line and they will guide you through it or have a look at the online notes.