PDA

View Full Version : Panic stations!

ExBlondie
18-05-2009, 06:14 PM
Some of you may know ive been registered since march but not had much luck so far getting any phone calls but today i logged into facebook and another childminder had sent me a message saying a lady wanting someone to look after her two little boys but she didn't have the spaces so passed the details on to me :eek:

I rang her about half an hour ago and we had a little chat and then suggested about her comming round to see me so we could talk more freely and answer any questions etc

So now im panicing but excited at the same time! Im not keeping my hopes up to much but just rememebering that it all good experience even if i don't get anything from it.

What should i have ready for when she comes round?

Thanks in advance! lol xxxxxx

Daftbat
18-05-2009, 06:23 PM
Keep your hopes up as high as you can!!!!!

I would have ready my folder with my certificates, policies,CRB info etc.

I would have my registration cert ready and insurance cert.

Get some toys out which are suitable for the age group.

I do a parent pack with copies of policies etc

Just relax and encourage the parents to ask questions - sometimes they are unsure of what to ask so i often give them an overview of myself, things like what pets we have, whether we smoke, and what kind of things i would do with the children when with me. As you are new then don't forget to push forward your best experience - being a parent (sorry, i am presuming you are).

You will find most parents feel as nervous as you so try to put them at ease - offer a drink to them and the child.

Good luck with everything - i am sure you will be fine.

Let us know what happens:thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
18-05-2009, 06:27 PM
ooh how exciting and well done.

first of all take a breather and relax.
If you are just having a really informal chat you will need to have information about your fees, contracts and settling in. You might want to show her your portfolio any references you may have, experience, training certificates etc.
You want to get info from her (and write it all down) - hours/days, what her expectations are of you as a Setting, ages of children etc etc

If she is interested then you can arrange the next chat to include going through your p&p's a bit more indepth such as your fees and payments, complaints, safeguarding, health and hygiene etc. You can go through contracts together and the other documentation and arrange some settling in sessions.

good luck:thumbsup:

emler
18-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Good advice already given - I just want to wish you good luck. Let us know how it goes :thumbsup:

Tatjana
18-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Pleased to hear you have an enquiry! Good luck and let us know how you get on:thumbsup:

xx

Gizmo
18-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Hope it all goes well. Good luck :thumbsup:

mozarella
18-05-2009, 07:45 PM
Hi

That is great news, first of all do not panic, if she found it hard to find someone then you have more chances. And be yourself.

I had my first visit last week and got the job, like you I was panicky but i decided to be myself, made the house cleaned but friendly and welcoming with toys etc ... interacted with the children.

I got a folder to show the family with all the polices, certificate etc, what I planned to do, and explaining that although I was new I had lots of childcare ecperience and extremly motivated ...

But most of it went with the flow, we just clicked togather

Good luck

Moz

Demonjill
18-05-2009, 08:56 PM
Thats fab news.:thumbsup:

The best thing you can do is to get down to the childs level and interact with some toys etc

Good luck:thumbsup:

michellethegooner
18-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Great advise already given, the most important thing I think is how you interact with the child,

good luck

Zoomie
19-05-2009, 12:39 AM
It is a bit nerve racking, but just remember to be yourself, and go down on the floor and play with the children (let them come to you though).

I would leave my paperwork on a table so that parents have that to look at it if they are a bit awkward about what to ask etc.

So when are the parent's coming round ???

ExBlondie
19-05-2009, 07:27 AM
Thank you all and i am trying not to panic but i keep thinking of things i need to do and feel like i don't have much time to do it in lol They are comming round next wednesday but were away this bank holiday weekend which couldn't be worse timing lol

Ive been thinking about activities to put on for the children and maybe to have a dvd on in the background or cbeebies?

I plan on having a welcome pack for parents to have and keep but only if they agree to sign due to the printing costs etc but you would give them something to take away while they are still deciding what to do?

Penny i don't have my own children but im going to use my experience with my partners nephews and my best friends children who ive spent a lot of time for and they was both my references for ofsted.

I must admit she didn't seem phased when i said i was a new childminder but when she asked if i had my own children and i said no she kinda said oh right and there was a slight pause so i hope that won't be too much of an issue :panic:

pinklady756
19-05-2009, 08:06 PM
Good luck, will cross my fingers for you.