PDA

View Full Version : Registering with the information commissioner's office

sarah707
18-05-2009, 05:40 PM
I have just posted this on my new website ... but I thought it might be a useful reminder here as well :D

Data protection and the Information Commissioner’s Office

If you keep details about other people (including staff, families or children in your care) on your computer, you may need to notify the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) that you are a ‘data controller’ for data protection purposes.

You do not need to inform ICO –

• If you keep paper records;
• If you keep necessary records for accounts purposes only;

You might need to inform ICO –

• If you keep records of a sensitive nature on your computer or an external hard drive;
• If you make reference to individual staff, children or families as part of completing your SEF (this would not normally be necessary though);
• If you keep photographs from which the children can be identified on your computer or an external hard drive;
• If you upload photographs from which the children can be identified for processing;
• If you keep observations or planning which contain information about a child’s –
o Health;
o Behaviour;
o Development on your computer or an external hard drive;
This affects childminders in England and Wales.

Contacting the ICO
• Follow the online system to check whether you need to register with the ICO. You can find it here - www.ico.gov.uk;
• Ring the Notification Helpline for more advice - 01625 545740.

Cost and completing the forms
• Notification costs £35 a year. Diary the date you need to pay next year;
• Do not forget that the £35 payment is tax deductable;
• To describe the kind of data you hold on your computer, you should use template N894 – Nursery School / Playgroup / After school Club in the Education Section.

Minstrel
18-05-2009, 05:42 PM
:thumbsup: Thanks Sarah

The Juggler
18-05-2009, 06:59 PM
Thanks. I just registered before Christmas. Thought I was organised keeping it all on computer then realised I had to register. However, my writing is sooo bad, its worth i so I can read the records and obs I keep!

Do they not send you a reminder?

moogster1a
19-05-2009, 06:57 AM
What the hell......
are people actually complying with this stalinesque rubbish?
madness.

sarah707
19-05-2009, 07:01 AM
What the hell......
are people actually complying with this stalinesque rubbish?
madness.

Yes of course, it's the law!

No way do I intend to run my business illegally :panic:

£35 is a small annual price to pay for peace of mind. :D

moogster1a
19-05-2009, 07:02 AM
I've just noticed; and paying for it!!!!

moogster1a
19-05-2009, 07:03 AM
tell me the reasoning behind it. I can't see any practical use behind this extra bit of beauracratic nonsense.

sarah707
19-05-2009, 08:08 AM
The reasoning is that it is the law.

If you keep any information about or that could identify parents / children / employees on the computer then you must comply with the law.

As a forum, the owner and moderators are dedicated to informing members about things they need to know.

If you do not agree with it, then by all means break the law. We can only inform.

Sorry but I fail to see your problem?

estrelas
19-05-2009, 08:13 AM
tell me the reasoning behind it. I can't see any practical use behind this extra bit of beauracratic nonsense.

just basic common sense really isn't it?

moogster1a
19-05-2009, 08:49 AM
You can't explain a nonsensical law by saying " it's the law". I want to know the practical use of this and why we should pay for it?

estrelas
19-05-2009, 08:57 AM
You can't explain a nonsensical law by saying " it's the law". I want to know the practical use of this and why we should pay for it?

Why don't you look it up, its the Law end of.

Sarah as a moderator is just informing us of things we need to know.

If your quering a law, then look it up and complain to them. The end outcome will be the same, its something we have to do, whether we agree or not.

Andrea08
19-05-2009, 09:00 AM
hi i was told by paying for the registration etc that you are responsible for the data you hold and at all times take care of it ,,

just like when the goverment lost every1's tax credit information:D

its part of safeguarding information , to say you will be responsible and take care of the information , not pass it on or loose it (i think?)

angeldelight
19-05-2009, 09:04 AM
Thank you Sarah for the information

Angel xx

Zoomie
19-05-2009, 10:33 AM
Thank you Sarah, for the information too, but not the bill :(

Bendalina
20-08-2010, 10:28 PM
Just reading through for info for NVQ 3 CCLD and its staes that this now includes paperwork? as well as info stored on a computer. Just wanted to add, couldnt see if somebody had already done so or not. thanks for your valuable information guys :clapping:

green puppy
21-08-2010, 08:37 AM
Thank you Sarah, the link says the page can't be found though?

ORKSIE
21-08-2010, 08:53 AM
I have already done this.

Thanks Sarah xxx

Pauline
21-08-2010, 09:06 AM
Thank you Sarah, the link says the page can't be found though?

This is an old thread GP so it could be that the page has been moved on their website.

linda2girls
21-08-2010, 09:18 AM
I emailed them last month, just to get something in writing from them. This is their reply and my questions below. I have decided to register with them.

Dear Ms Tate,

Thank you for your email of 19 July.

We can confirm that any childminders who use a digital camera to record the development of the children, and / or process on computer observations of children’s development, health or behaviour, will be required to notify.

If any data regarding education or childcare are processed using any type of electronic device, notification will be required as these are not exempt purposes. For details of the exemptions please refer to our on-line Notification Exemptions – self-assessment guide at http://www.ico.gov.uk/what_we_cover/data_protection/notification/do_i_need_to_notify.aspx

They can start the application process on-line at http://www.ico.gov.uk/what_we_cover/data_protection/notification.aspx or by telephoning our Notification Helpline on 01625 545740.

Regards
Notification Department

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 19 July 2010 09:10
To: Notification@
Subject: Registering with you

I am a childminder and recently went to a childminder’s meeting where registering with the ICO was discussed. Many of the childminders seemed unclear as to whether or not they needed to register with you. I wondered whether you could answer the following questions and I could take your response to the next meeting. Do we need to notify you in the following circumstances:-

1. Taking photos of children on a digital camera or mobile phone and then immediately printing them off on a Panasonic Pogo and deleting them. - Yes

2. Storing photos on a computer – no children’s names. - Yes

3. Storing photos on a memory stick – no children’s names. - Yes

4. Storing observation reports with photos and children’s name on a computer or memory stick. - Yes

Thank you in advance for your help.

Linda Tate

ChocolateChip
21-08-2010, 07:42 PM
Thanks for that Linda, and Sarah!
I had been told that as I don't hold any records on pc, and don't put names to photos that I wouldn't have to register but it seems as I use a digital camera that I do, so thanks for clarifying!

charlie potato
21-08-2010, 07:54 PM
Thanks for that. I'm sure i've never been told this before at my ICP training.:o

rharrison43140
21-08-2010, 08:12 PM
How odd that you should mention this - I only asked this question at my ICP a month or two ago! Lol! Thank you Sarah - you lot are always on the ball and have the answer. I should have just asked you guys because my tutor didn't have a clue really!
I've registered now though - I'd rather be safe than sorry! :)

suchagoodgirl
21-08-2010, 10:31 PM
The problem I have is that only the minority of childminders are registering themselves. Most childminders don't know about the digital camera rule, and many that do laugh it off as ridiculous. It's more expensive than renewing your ofsted registration. IMO it needs to be universal. I would suggest that ofsted gave the ICO a full contact database of childminders so it could automatically send all childminders a notification.

Except they can't because of the Data Protecion Act. Oh, the irony!!!

marzi
22-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Am I right in thinking that if you took the photos for obs on an old film camera and popped it into Boots or similar for processing you would NOT have to register? Even though you would be basically handing over the photos of mindees to strangers? :rolleyes:

green puppy
22-08-2010, 09:34 PM
This is an old thread GP so it could be that the page has been moved on their website.

Thanks Pauline, didn't even notice the date!:blush:

Pauline
23-08-2010, 06:51 AM
Am I right in thinking that if you took the photos for obs on an old film camera and popped it into Boots or similar for processing you would NOT have to register? Even though you would be basically handing over the photos of mindees to strangers? :rolleyes:

Yup you got it!

Hand them over to a load of strangers and you are fine, keep them safe and secure of your computer that no one has access to and you have to register with data protection :rolleyes:

love381
23-08-2010, 07:46 AM
Just reading through for info for NVQ 3 CCLD and its staes that this now includes paperwork? as well as info stored on a computer. Just wanted to add, couldnt see if somebody had already done so or not. thanks for your valuable information guys :clapping:

Does anybody else have any information about it only being on paper?! That will mean that ALL childminders will need to then! x

Pauline
23-08-2010, 11:04 AM

If that is the case then I stand corrected, it would also include photos printed from old style cameras.

blue bear
23-08-2010, 12:03 PM
I rang today to register, the lady on the phone said only info stored on computer and related items (digital camera etc) she tried to talk me into buying an old type camera to save me the cost of registering - bless her!!

Pauline
23-08-2010, 12:33 PM
I rang today to register, the lady on the phone said only info stored on computer and related items (digital camera etc) she tried to talk me into buying an old type camera to save me the cost of registering - bless her!!

Excellent, thanks for clearing that up Fifi :thumbsup:

charlie potato
24-08-2010, 12:54 PM
I might have to dig out my old camera haha:p

Jilldavis
04-10-2010, 08:20 PM
I contacted the ICO today and apparently if all you do is use a digital camera to take photos for observations and use a portable printer to print them off (thats not even uploading them to a pc) you need to obtain data protection registration for just using an electronic device (ie digital camera). Pure madnesss, if you use an old fashioned film camera then you dont have to. Someone please explain to me why this is and what I or my parents gain from such registration. How do the ICO police the people who register with them, surely it is a false sense of security as no-one will be inspecting us against their criteria.
I have just posted this on my new website ... but I thought it might be a useful reminder here as well :D

Data protection and the Information Commissioner’s Office

If you keep details about other people (including staff, families or children in your care) on your computer, you may need to notify the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) that you are a ‘data controller’ for data protection purposes.

You do not need to inform ICO –

• If you keep paper records;
• If you keep necessary records for accounts purposes only;

You might need to inform ICO –

• If you keep records of a sensitive nature on your computer or an external hard drive;
• If you make reference to individual staff, children or families as part of completing your SEF (this would not normally be necessary though);
• If you keep photographs from which the children can be identified on your computer or an external hard drive;
• If you upload photographs from which the children can be identified for processing;
• If you keep observations or planning which contain information about a child’s –
o Health;
o Behaviour;
o Development on your computer or an external hard drive;
This affects childminders in England and Wales.

Contacting the ICO
• Follow the online system to check whether you need to register with the ICO. You can find it here - www.ico.gov.uk;
• Ring the Notification Helpline for more advice - 01625 545740.

Cost and completing the forms
• Notification costs £35 a year. Diary the date you need to pay next year;
• Do not forget that the £35 payment is tax deductable;
• To describe the kind of data you hold on your computer, you should use template N894 – Nursery School / Playgroup / After school Club in the Education Section.

sarah707
04-10-2010, 09:06 PM
I contacted the ICO today and apparently if all you do is use a digital camera to take photos for observations and use a portable printer to print them off (thats not even uploading them to a pc) you need to obtain data protection registration for just using an electronic device (ie digital camera). Pure madnesss, if you use an old fashioned film camera then you dont have to. Someone please explain to me why this is and what I or my parents gain from such registration. How do the ICO police the people who register with them, surely it is a false sense of security as no-one will be inspecting us against their criteria.

This is a very old thread you have found from May 2009.

The position for childminders is much clearer now than it was then.

Now we know that if we use any kind of electronic device (computer, camera etc) then we MUST register as we are classed as a data handler.

I am sure many childminders agree with your sentiments , however ours is not to reason why.

:D

Pixie dust
05-10-2010, 08:07 AM
The position for childminders is much clearer now than it was then

I only spoke to my DO about this 2 weeks ago and she told me no not to bother but I do use a digitial camera and my laptop :(

Pixie dust

ORKSIE
05-10-2010, 10:57 AM
I have registered.....and please correct me if im wrong ( i know you will:D :laughing: ) ....................

I thought it was any personal details you have on Mindees and their families that are kept on paper or on the computer as well as as photos, even those kept in LJ's.

xx

mayberry
11-02-2011, 06:52 AM
Think this needs to be brought up again as lots of childminders have not registered :thumbsup:

Dawn x

mushpea
11-02-2011, 07:09 AM
ok here come the thickie childminder:rolleyes:
just to clarify;
i use a digital camera and print the pics on my pogo and then also store them on an sd card but do not store them on my computer,,, do i need to register?

The Juggler
11-02-2011, 07:41 AM
ok here come the thickie childminder:rolleyes:
just to clarify;
i use a digital camera and print the pics on my pogo and then also store them on an sd card but do not store them on my computer,,, do i need to register?

yes:thumbsup:

mushpea
11-02-2011, 06:10 PM
Well i rang them today and this is how it went
me; of what benifit is this to me and the children in mysetting
them;none
me;where does the money actualy go
them; towards the paper work
me; what is the money i pay for
them;its a legal requirment
me; yes but what is it actutaly for
them; because its a legal requirment
me; so how does it help me
them; 'big pause' if your camera gets stolen and pics go on the internet you can ring us
me; will you help take the photos of the internet or does this cover my back in anyway
them; um no
me; so whats the point
them; its a legal requirment

then they went on to talk about the freedom of information act and as the explained it to me people could find out who i am from the internet which to me causes a confidentiality issue for myself and if people have acces to my personal information then anyone could visit my setting.
yes my details are on the goverment website but only my phone number and email address not my home address.
so now I am not sure wether to pay or not,, I do not want my details on any website or there for people to gain by using the freedom of info act as to me this poses a risk to my family and the children in my care and also i dont want to pay because as far as i can make out all this money does is pay for the running of their office and i have to pay cause its a legal requirment??

sarah707
12-02-2011, 09:33 AM
as far as i can make out all this money does is pay for the running of their office and i have to pay cause its a legal requirment??

Absolutely!

But because it is a legal requirement we are breaking the law if we do not register.

Rock...hard place...childminders :(

barbarella68
12-02-2011, 12:20 PM
A simple solution then- I will not take photo's it may be only £35.00 but it is unnecessary. I will draw the children doing what they are doing.:laughing:

Minstrel
12-02-2011, 12:22 PM
A simple solution then- I will not take photo's it may be only £35.00 but it is unnecessary. I will draw the children doing what they are doing.:laughing:

:D :D :laughing:

SYLVIA
12-02-2011, 07:58 PM
I bet we all end up registered and then Ofsted tell us not to bother with obs and photographic evidence anymore. It just goes on and on! Maybe each parent could give us their camera to take pictures on and then take them home and print them. Lets just pay and put up with it