PDA

View Full Version : Messy Play

grindal
18-05-2009, 12:34 PM
I keep reading things about this - and it is the sort of thing I used to do with my own 2 boys - however my mindee (who is only 8 months old) puts anything and everything you give him straight in his mouth. Can anyone suggest some mouth friendly messy play - cant help thinking a mouthful of glitter, talc, gloop, oats, dry and cooked pasta (actually that one would prob work:rolleyes: !) will not be very good for him?! Does anyone do messy play with little ones?
Grindal

huggableshelly
18-05-2009, 12:38 PM
porridge ...... its gross and looks horrid when it dries in the hair lol but it sure is great fun and ediable

home mabe playdough .... ediable but will taste disgusting so he shouldnt want to try eating it again

dried cereal .... yep messy and crumbs everywhere but still safe might be better with rice crispies or cheaper cornflakes rather than fancier sharper flakes

jelly play .... fun to eat and play with

errrrrrrrr others will be in with more ideas my brain has just locked up!

grindal
18-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Thanks for them - I quite like the idea of porridge although DS1 is convinced we do not have any cos I told him we had run out when i could not be bothered to cook it for him this morning:blush:

Grindal

tulip0803
18-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Gloop is fine as it is just cornflour & water.

Angel Delight ( not our one :rolleyes: the stuff you mix with milk).

Jelly.

custard.

Water.

Home made playdough - salty but all natural ingredients salt should make it taste disgusting:D

Porridge/Ready Brek

Yoghurt

Anything edible and messy:D

huggableshelly
18-05-2009, 12:47 PM
oohhhhhhh i've not done yoghurt!

custard is way cool ... not done that for a while either

helenlc
18-05-2009, 12:52 PM
Gloop (cornflour and water) This is great stuff! If you put some on your hand and keep it still the gloop will drip right off. Yet if you keep moving your hand, it becomes firm until you stop moving, then it drips again.

Jelly is definitely a good one - we did this last week at childminder drop in.

Mashed potato - let it cool obviously, we use a economy packet instant mash, you can put food colouring in too

Baked beans/tinned spaghetti - straight from the tin

grindal
18-05-2009, 01:02 PM
Yoghurt!!!!
My DS1 and DS2 do their own messy play with this every tea time:laughing:
Am getting the idea that food based messy play is the way to go.
Grindal

The Juggler
18-05-2009, 01:32 PM
or handpainting.

just plain old water to splash in. add some food colour and strip down to nappies!

estrelas
18-05-2009, 01:38 PM
ooooooooooooooooooowww

i'm gonna make gloop today, never done it before !!!

michellethegooner
18-05-2009, 01:40 PM
some great ideas there to keep you going :laughing:

Toothfairy
18-05-2009, 03:22 PM
I can recommend the Jelly idea, this keeps them happy for ages. :thumbsup:

tulip0803
18-05-2009, 03:53 PM
Yoghurt!!!!
My DS1 and DS2 do their own messy play with this every tea time:laughing:
Am getting the idea that food based messy play is the way to go.
Grindal

For a little one that puts everything in their mouth it is best as you do not have to worry about it being eaten by mistake. IYSWIM:D