PDA

View Full Version : Fire questions

Demonjill
17-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Where did you all get your fire blankets? Im confused with all the sizes you can get etc.:blush:

Does it have to be a qualified electrician to fit mains smoke alarms or can handy hubby do it?

Chanelle
17-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Where did you all get your fire blankets? Im confused with all the sizes you can get etc.:blush:

Does it have to be a qualified electrician to fit mains smoke alarms or can handy hubby do it?

Brought mine from B&Q and hubby fitted it o the wall .

michellethegooner
17-05-2009, 10:21 PM
bought mine from ebay and fitted it myself

fire alarms hubby did

sophiestars
17-05-2009, 10:24 PM
My blanket came with my NCMA pack when I joined. i saw some today in Matalan of all places!

Ally
17-05-2009, 11:36 PM
I got my blanket from the NCMA when I joined them. Smoke alarms can be just the normal ones from the DIY stores or even better get the Fire brigade to come and do an inspection of you place and any smoke alarms you need are fitted free and last up to 10 years!

Ally

Pedagog
18-05-2009, 07:09 AM
I got one from ebay, and also one with my NCMA pack. Don't buy one, as they are the same as B&Q's but twice the price.

Smoke alarms just get the local fire service out to do a home fire safety check, don't say you are a childminder as in some areas you would not qualify for free smoke alarms.

Demonjill
18-05-2009, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the replies.

i do hav normal battery smoke alarms but was told by CC on course that I need mains fitted one too thats why I was asking if it was ok to get hubby to wire it up. I can manage battery ones myself. Fireservice wont fit mains one free.
Is there a BS or kitemark on the NCMA fire blankets that I could check off against cheaper versions?

Many thanks:thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
18-05-2009, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the replies.

i do hav normal battery smoke alarms but was told by CC on course that I need mains fitted one too thats why I was asking if it was ok to get hubby to wire it up. I can manage battery ones myself. Fireservice wont fit mains one free.
Is there a BS or kitemark on the NCMA fire blankets that I could check off against cheaper versions?

Many thanks:thumbsup:

I believe that under law now any electrical work needs to be carried out by a qualified electrician and they will give you a certificate to prove it. If you sell your house these will need to be produced or you could have a full electrical survey asked for and this is expensive.

I am looking into purchasing linked smoke alarms as my husband works for an electrical wholesaler. If you are interested pm me and I will get you a price.