PDA

View Full Version : OU E123 TMA1 result

sarah707
05-12-2007, 11:25 AM
For those of you who know me, you will know I have just started my E123 with the Open University and was underwhelmed, to say the least, with the way the first assignment was marked

Anyhow, just to let you know, after a great deal of thought (not wanting to upset a tutor who will be marking my next 2 essays!) I have emailed her and simply said...

'Hi, how are you? Can you please tell me how much of my result was dependent on my punctuation please? Thank you'

Hopefully that will not upset her too much and I'll be able to move on and get the next one finished! I will let you know what she says...

Banana
06-12-2007, 09:20 AM
Have I missed a thread on this Sarah?

Have you been unfairly marked for your assignment?

xxxxx

sarah707
06-12-2007, 10:30 AM
Hi Lana and thanks for your concern... not sure if I got cross about the marking on a thread or did it by pm with others on the course... it was towards the end of the other forum

I don't know whether I've been unfairly marked or whether I've just got the world's pickiest tutor... that's why I've asked her the question. Hopefully her answer will tell me whether I need to find ££ before Christmas to pay back Cheshire's funding for the course or whether I carry on cos I'm not a happy bunny TBH

angeldelight
06-12-2007, 10:32 AM
Sorry Sarah I missed this

Hope you are ok and hope you get it sorted out ?

Angel xx

buildingblocks
06-12-2007, 11:01 AM
i missed this thread on the old board. That seems unfair if they are being picky about spelling (I wouldn't satnd a chance then)

lov EKate

Polly2
06-12-2007, 11:04 AM
Hi Sarah

I missed this too sorry

She should be fair and tell you why she marked it the way she did - I can't imagine you getting a poor grade in anything. You are always seem to think of everything, and you put so much work into everything you do

I can tell this by all the books on your web site - the one I bought is fab!

Anyway hope you sort this out soon

Love hollyx

Pipsqueak
06-12-2007, 11:22 AM
I hope you get it sorted soon Sarah. Some assessors/tutors/verifiers can be so obtuse/bull headed etc about things - you should have been told clearly at the start of your course if you needed to pay special attention to certain things.

sarah707
06-12-2007, 11:23 AM
Hi guys thanks for your support - it wasn't spelling - it was full stops! I don't put full stops at the end of my paragraphs.. never have.. it's just my style of writing... she's marked the whole thing like I'm a 7 year old in her class and put them all in for me, in pencil

And questioned a semi colon I've used.. and added some brackets I didn't think were necessary... and on and on it goes! I really feel she's been unnecessarily picky

However, if this hasn't affected my overall mark then fine... it's pass or fail after all when you get the end result... if it has, then I'm officially very cross!

Polly2
06-12-2007, 12:54 PM
Too right!

I would be cross too - let us know how you get on

Hollyx

lindylou
06-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Hi Sarah its Linda has your tutor emailed you back yet and have you calmed down yet after your initial outburst .
I would not worry i bet you get 93 for your next one.
luv Lindax

loopylu
06-12-2007, 08:01 PM
Hi Sarah,

Hope you get it sorted out. I start my E123 in February, hope I don't get the same tutor!!

nannan
07-12-2007, 04:24 PM
Hi Sarah,
Hope you get it sorted out, I am waiting to get my E123 TMA back not sure how I got on but will find out soon enough, any way hope you can get it sorted,

sarah707
07-12-2007, 06:21 PM
Well I got a reply... the pencil marks she made throughout my work for punctuation (mostly full stops) are not marked... they are 'something to work towards for the next assignment.'

Not sure if I feel better or worse!! Definitely feel like a 7 year old in her class now!

Not one to throw the baby out with the bath water, I will dutifully punctuate my next essay to within an inch of it's life... and use lots and lots of full stops! I will practice faithfully. Every sentence I write from now on will have a full stop at the end. It is, after all, the right thing to do. I have been told so by a primary school teacher. I will just be grateful she didn't use red pen :D .

Polly2
08-12-2007, 05:58 PM
You go girl!!!

That last post was immaculately punctuated :D I must say!!!

love Hollyx

nannan
09-12-2007, 05:39 PM
I received my results back, quite happy with the result, I received a clear pass, but I'm not sure how the E124 is going to go yet, should receive that back hopefully before christmas, :clapping:

Banana
09-12-2007, 06:37 PM
Well done on passing Mandy :clapping:

xx

sarah707
09-12-2007, 06:58 PM
Congratulations Mandy!

http://bestsmileys.com/thumbs/3.gif

lindylou
09-12-2007, 07:28 PM
Hi Sarah just received my E124 back i got 63 the same as what i got for E123 I thought i would a bit dissapointed have to try harder for the next ones.
Finding it a bit hard doing the 2 together as well as childminding fulltime.
I also worked in a youth club the other night helping my son out bad move was so tired the next day for work.
Lindaxx

susi513
09-12-2007, 07:30 PM
Well done Mandy. Glad, Sarah that your essay wasn't marked down for lack of full stops, I suppose she thought she was being helpful pointing this out??

Haven't got mine back yet ... I'm dreading finding out what's been written on mine.

nannan
09-12-2007, 07:35 PM
thank you for the congratulations, I was pleased as it was my first assignment in ages that I had completed,
I know what you mean Linda about the hard work when doing both courses together, and childminding and running a home and everything else we do, just waiting on my E124 now, I will be happy if I get the same marks for that as I got for the E123.

Niecynoo
10-12-2007, 12:59 PM
Hi every1,weel done. Sarah I will call you when I get my E124 result, I went through every comment that was on E123 tma1 and interested to know if it helped/better grade for e124. Different tutor so will be interesting......

susi513
14-12-2007, 04:46 PM
I've still got a while to wait for my result. Tutor just emailed to say she's not finished marking yet and then she's still got to send them off to OU before they come back to us.

Kelly
14-12-2007, 09:49 PM
Just wanted to say well done, and good luck to those of you still waiting for results, I started last year and am waiting for the results of both E123 & E124 ECA's due in on the tomorrow.....

Niecynoo
15-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Clear pass for E124 Tma1 so not too bad, how did you get on Kelly have you heard yet xxx

manjay
15-12-2007, 01:39 PM
Clear pass for E124 Tma1 so not too bad, how did you get on Kelly have you heard yet xxx

Well done you!!

Amanda xx :clapping: :clapping:

Banana
19-12-2007, 04:35 PM
Yes, well done thats brilliant!!
x
xx

Kelly
19-12-2007, 07:28 PM
Well done to you all that have received your results and passed. I completed both E123 & E124 in October and received my results on Sunday and passed. I just wanted to say that I got 63 in all my assignments and to be honest was really pleased with that result. In addition to childminding four children, looking after my own two and running a cub scout group I found finding time to study really hard. I didn't find my tutorials particularly helpful and unlike to nurseries you do not have anyone to bounce ideas off.

I just wanted to wish you all luck, your doing really well. Keep up the good work :thumbsup:
Kelly

susi513
21-12-2007, 12:46 PM
Got my E123 back - I passed hooray

so relieved to find out b4 xmas. Apparently I shouldn't have stapled the pages together though. Oops.

angeldelight
21-12-2007, 12:50 PM
Well done Susi

Angel xx

deeb66
08-01-2008, 09:19 PM
Catching up on threads made whilst I was on holiday.

Well done to everyone that passed.....congratulations