PDA

View Full Version : poisonous plants?

sweets
17-05-2009, 10:57 AM
I had some lupins growing in my garden last year, just before my inspection i chopped the flowers off as id read somewhere that they are poisonous. when the inspector was looking at my garden i told her what i had done and suprisingly she said 'what a shame i bet they were lovely' she then went on to tell me that when she was little they had a laburnam tree in their garden and that no one ever ate it!
Problem is my lupins are coming up again and i don't really want to get rid of them if i don't have to. My older mindees play out while i am in the kitchen and know not to eat plants and the little one only goes out when i am with her.
Do you think i could just risk asses them and leave them growing?

youarewhatyoueat
17-05-2009, 11:08 AM
I may be wrong but I thought the poison was from the seed pods when they finish flowering, worth checking

christine e
17-05-2009, 11:15 AM
I tought it was the seed pod too but have just had a quick google and this came up

http://www.littlebaby.me.uk/docs/Handout%20-%20Safety.pdf

go to page 4 and lupins are listed as a plant that MAY cause sickness but have a look at others there fuschia, snowdrops and the potato plant!

Do a bit of research via google on the seed pod being posionous and if we are right then cut them back when they start to seed do your risk assesment and talk about educating the children not to touch or pick the plants. I am sure dafodils are also poisonous and geraniums.

Cx

Princess Sara
17-05-2009, 11:20 AM
I have lupins and fuschias in my garden. Risk assess and don't worry about it. The benefits of the children watching them grow and watering them far out weight a little tummy upset if you haven't taught them not to eat them!

Most plants will just cause a bit of tummy upset, the ones you need to worry about are the serious ones, and even most of those need a huge amount to cause real damage.

miffy
17-05-2009, 11:25 AM
I agree with the others - risk assess and teach the children not to pick/eat them and why

Our responsibilty should not be about removing all risks but educating the children in how to keep themselves safe

Miffy xx

michellethegooner
17-05-2009, 11:47 AM
great advice already given, I would risk assess, and teach kiddies not to eat.

sweets
17-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Great thanks for advice everyone, i will risk assess them and leave them but i may cut the flowers off when wilted to avoid the seed pods! they are one of the few flowers in my garden so really don't want to dig them out!