PDA

View Full Version : Can I claim for a fence?

Lady Haha
16-05-2009, 11:41 PM
Hi, I know everyone is talking about what they can claim for last year, but I'm ahead of myself now!

I really need a fence on one side of the garden as the one thats there is only about three foot tall and a picket fence.

It would cost me a fair amount to get some one in to build a proper fence so was wondering if I could claim for it? Just that it would't be used solely for childminding would it!!! Could I claim a percentage perhaps?

becki21
17-05-2009, 12:21 AM
Hi, I haven't been a childminder for long so someone else might correct me but I think you need to ask yourself, would you have got this new fence if you were not childminding? If yes then I dont really think you could claim for it, or at least not the full amount, but if not then yes you should be able to claim for it
HTH

michellethegooner
17-05-2009, 12:58 AM
hmmm dont think u can claim 100% of it but like becki said u have to think about whether u would have got it if you werent c/m.

personally If I was REPLACING a perfectly fine fence because it wasnt high enough for c/m then I would prob claim 100% but I would argue my point with ir on the grounds that I only needed the NEW one because of minding if they didnt agree iyswim,

hth I'm sure someone will be in with PROPER advice lol

miss mopple
17-05-2009, 05:49 AM
I was told by a tax inspector that we cant claim fencing as its classed as a home improvement.

huggableshelly
17-05-2009, 07:01 AM
I claimed 50% for one panel 2 years ago in the high winds, i couldnt allow the children to play outside without it and personally i like my neighbours so it could have stayed down a bit longer.

I have had a complete new fence down both sides of the garden now andd not claimed any of it through my books as it was done through choice not as a need. I did call to ask if I got my garden done out in a safety surface and fake grass for cm purposes could i claim it back ... the answer was no as cm's are not expected to make such drastic changes.

Tatjana
18-05-2009, 06:49 PM
I've had to change parts of my fence because they had a few holes in, the holes didn't bother me or my family and i wouldn't have changed them if it wasn't for cm.

I'm going to put down 100% as it's not a home improvement that i wanted or needed.

xx

sue m
18-05-2009, 06:58 PM
I'm having a fence put up purely for my childminding. I hadn't give it a thought that I could maybe claim. It's going to cost me £150 and I definitely wouldn't have it if I wasn't minding. I don't like having it fenced off and it's not a home improvement. Mine will be a 3' one as well. If I didn't have a fence, the children could get straight out and onto the road IF I wasn't looking for a moment :eek:

Thanks for bringing this up. :clapping:

Chatterbox Childcare
18-05-2009, 08:12 PM
If you need a new fence for your garden to be safe then you can claim 100%.

Lady Haha
19-05-2009, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone! I will go with the answers I wanted to hear!::laughing:

Apart from the children being able to get out, I was also worried about things coming from the other side! My neighbour is lovely and we chat over the fence sometimes. But, I was doing the dishes and watching the kids through the window when I noticed the neighbours friend chatting to the kids. That was all very innocent, she was just asking what bugs they had caught etc, but it did cross my mind that 'adults unknown to children had access to them' and decided then a new fence would be a good idea!

Andrea08
19-05-2009, 10:33 AM
on one of my inspections ofsted said she didnt like my front wall (brick) as it was a little low... could i add a fence on top:eek: no i ruddy well carnt do you know how much that would cost??? and it wouldnt fit and look bad..

so ive saved up almost £3000 and the builder is building a new High brick wall with new gates :) so mrs ofsted will be happy

100% will go in my books as i was happy with my little wall b4!!

Chatterbox Childcare
19-05-2009, 05:28 PM
on one of my inspections ofsted said she didnt like my front wall (brick) as it was a little low... could i add a fence on top:eek: no i ruddy well carnt do you know how much that would cost??? and it wouldnt fit and look bad..

so ive saved up almost £3000 and the builder is building a new High brick wall with new gates :) so mrs ofsted will be happy

100% will go in my books as i was happy with my little wall b4!!

What rubbish - she cannot tell you to build a wall. I would keep the money. If you go ahead, make sure you have something in writing from Ofsted otherwise the IR could refuse your expense

Andrea08
19-05-2009, 05:34 PM
in 6yrs ive never had my expenses looked at lol,

its like 40p a mile rubbish,,

my 7seater car was costing me £60 wk in petrol (not deisel) and it was all drop-off n pick-ups and outings with the mindees as i had a little car for personal use, well im not havin a lousey 40p mile when it was costing £1 a mile in petrol when the fuel went up,,

it was all buisness use so why couldnt i put it through my books as so?
told parents i only get 40p a mile and it was costing me a lot more to pick up etc and they didn't care :panic:

dont use the 7 seater unless i realy need to now x x

Chatterbox Childcare
19-05-2009, 05:38 PM
You may have not been asked for your accounts but if you are and they do not add up you are charged:

the tax owed on 7 years (this is how far they go back and if you haven't got the paperwork they will estimate it)

additional fines

additional interest

I know what you mean about the car and that is why I do depreciation and not .40p per mile.

At the end of the day the IR have the upper hand - just saying have backup with the wall from Ofsted saying that it is required.

TheBTeam
19-05-2009, 06:29 PM
I haven't got any wall or any boundary fencing on my front garden, as long as the children are not left to play out there alone, then i do not see how a wall can be an issue! I have an enclosed safe back garden and would claim for fencing to keep this so, but i live where there are restrictions on any front garden fencing etc and so generally the houses aren't allowed to put them up.

I have never even been asked on my inspections or my dh's recent one about what we do to ensure the children are safe on the front garden!