PDA

View Full Version : will anyone admit too.....

sweets
16-05-2009, 02:23 PM
will anyone admit to being rubbish at a particular part of childrens play? I am great at making things from duplo and construction toys, i can make a brill train track and am quite handy at arts and crafts. but when it comes to imaginative play i am RUBBISH! I can pretend to be hairdresser or a doctor or vet ok but when i comes to being a fairy prancing around a forest ( which is all my 4 year old wants to), or trying to make up a story up i am useless.

just wondered what everyone else is rubbish at?:laughing: :laughing:

FizzysFriends
16-05-2009, 02:25 PM
drawing!! They ask me to draw things so they can colour it in and im rubbish at it!

mushpea
16-05-2009, 02:32 PM
i am rubbish at the imagination thing to, i always think its more of a personal thing cause we all imagine differently, its the small world type iamgination play i am rubbish at so i tend to let them do small world play on their own. I set up the house with the people in it and suggest things like 'oh look at granny burning the toast' but the rest i leave up to them.
as for the drawing they just look at mine and laugh:blush:

Daddy Day Care
16-05-2009, 02:36 PM
will anyone admit to being rubbish at a particular part of childrens play? I am great at making things from duplo and construction toys, i can make a brill train track and am quite handy at arts and crafts. but when it comes to imaginative play i am RUBBISH! I can pretend to be hairdresser or a doctor or vet ok but when i comes to being a fairy prancing around a forest ( which is all my 4 year old wants to), or trying to make up a story up i am useless.

I can be a fairy prancing around the forrest if its just me and the kids, but should there be another adult in the room I cant do it.

Perosnaly I'm rubbish at most arts and crafts, i cant draw, cant paint, cant make things, have no imagination how to use household things in art.

sue m
16-05-2009, 02:37 PM
I haven't got a creative bone in my body! :eek: :(

emler
16-05-2009, 02:39 PM
I'm with Sue :laughing:

sweets
16-05-2009, 02:41 PM
[QUOTE=Daddy Day Care;424400]I can be a fairy prancing around the forrest if its just me and the kids, but should there be another adult in the room I cant do it.

i'm sure we would all like to see you do that!:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

haribo
16-05-2009, 02:43 PM
im rubbish at knowing about boys toys right now lol ive minded so many girls recently iv got really out of touch with things boys like last week i minded the brother of my lo and he was excitedly jabbering about ben 10 and star wars and i was nodding and smiling like i knew what he was on about:panic: :panic: i will have to brush up before i mind another boy haha. i dont know what im rubbish at really ill try and pretend to be most things as long as theres no adults there :blush: couldnt do most of the stuff i do in front of adults lol i think kids are just happy if we join in and give it a go :laughing:

haribo
16-05-2009, 02:46 PM
daddy day care you got there before me:laughing: :laughing:

watgem
I can do the whole imagination thing except if another adult who isn't a childminder friend is present, then i clam up and can't do much at all! I don't like doing cooking but am not really sure why.

georgie456
I'm pretty terrible at any kind of role play. I can be a patient for when they are playing doctors or a customer if they are hairdressing but that is it!!! My worst nightmare is a pretend tea party!!!!!

Princess Sara
16-05-2009, 02:53 PM

Neither have I.

I could prance around as a fairy all day long though!

haribo
16-05-2009, 02:55 PM
I'm pretty terrible at any kind of role play. I can be a patient for when they are playing doctors or a customer if they are hairdressing but that is it!!! My worst nightmare is a pretend tea party!!!!!

thats what my two los do all day long if they get chance i just got a tea set for them with cake they can"cut" and they adore it lol they must bring me a hundred cups of tea a day then watch whilst i go yyyuumm thats delicious they never get tired of it :laughing: :laughing:

singlewiththree
16-05-2009, 03:30 PM
I get bored playing shops and teachers etc and just can't get to grips with it, but building bricks, train track, art and craft and games I'm fine with. :)

michellethegooner
16-05-2009, 03:32 PM
I can be a fairy prancing around the forrest if its just me and the kids, but should there be another adult in the room I cant do it.

Snap lol I just feel stupid when another adult there lol

aly
16-05-2009, 03:51 PM

Perosnaly I'm rubbish at most arts and crafts, i cant draw, cant paint, cant make things, have no imagination how to use household things in art.
I'd pay to see that :laughing::laughing::laughing:

drawing for me too lol

huggableshelly
16-05-2009, 03:56 PM
I cant draw but the internet and colouring books make up for for it.

i guesss its the paperwork I am rubbish at as I would rather have fun and play all day than deal with paperwork and logging stuff.

pinklady
16-05-2009, 04:03 PM
I'm just really bad at fitting as much into my days as you guys do!:blush:

Blaze
16-05-2009, 04:37 PM
drawing!! They ask me to draw things so they can colour it in and im rubbish at it!

I am rubbish at this too...I print things out for them to colour on request to get around this!:D

julie w
16-05-2009, 04:50 PM
My mindees were playing 'buses' with some little chairs when my DO popped in. She kept telling me to sing 'the wheels on the bus' to the children. Now, even my dog cringes when I sing, and I even avoid weddings in case there's singing lol, so just the thought of singing anything in front of her made we want to curl up. I just couldn't do it. (I do sing with the children when we are alone). Mind you, my DO then proceeded to sing every verse to the children. :blush:

Mouse
16-05-2009, 05:03 PM
Defintely singing!

I'm very enthusiastic, but not very good! It's fine when it's just me & the kids, but if there's another adult there I'm dreadful!

miffy
16-05-2009, 06:07 PM
Defintely singing!

I'm very enthusiastic, but not very good! It's fine when it's just me & the kids, but if there's another adult there I'm dreadful!

Me too!

Pet hate - when it says "sung to the tune of............" I can't do that at all :panic:

Miffy xx

beckyteddy
16-05-2009, 06:09 PM
You guys have made me feel sooooooo much better! I thought it was just me!

I really can't do pretending games with small world people and animals. I like setting it all up but I hate making them "talk" to each other. I'm quite happy to run around playing "Whats the Time, Mr. Wolf" at the park in front of anyone who cares to watch and I can draw quite well and sing fairly well, but ask me to help a hippo have a proper conversation with a dinosaur, and I'm lost!

I'm sure I did it as a child, I clearly remember playing Cindy's and Barbie's with my friends for hours. I think we used to make them have sleepovers, and I'm pretty sure they all had bad American accents! :blush:

sweets
16-05-2009, 06:25 PM
That's just what i do beckyteddy! i set the game up then leave them to it.
If they ask me to join in, then i do for a minute then tell them theres a job that i really need to do! lol:laughing:

sue m
16-05-2009, 06:37 PM
Again, it must be an age thing, I'd have felt embarrassed when I was younger but give a wotsit anymore lol. My lo makes games up in his head all the time and I have to sit in his racing car and fasten my seat belt and jump into the water (off the sofa onto the floor) and swim and then dry myself!!! He loves me for it! :laughing: :D

Daddy Day Care
16-05-2009, 06:39 PM
[QUOTE=Daddy Day Care;424400]I can be a fairy prancing around the forrest if its just me and the kids, but should there be another adult in the room I cant do it.

i'm sure we would all like to see you do that!:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I was going to say, I could video myslef donig it and i'd show you, but then id have to kill you.

Butttt after aly saying she'd pay to see it hmmm i could do with the extra money lol.

Gareth
xx

nell57
16-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Me too!

Pet hate - when it says "sung to the tune of............" I can't do that at all :panic:

Miffy xx

Same here, cant even sing in tune in the first place:o

I've become very good at miming when at toddlers, especially when other adults are about:D

Lady Haha
16-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Yes, it's definately the singing for me too!!! Can't bear it when I've taken 15month old to toddlers and we all have to sit in a circle and sing 'Bye, bye, xxx, we're really glad you came' for every single child!!!

Rubbish at role play too! But I am in my element when it comes to arts and crafts! I love sitting down with them making stuff!

sue m
16-05-2009, 06:47 PM
[QUOTE=jodie;424406]

I was going to say, I could video myslef donig it and i'd show you, but then id have to kill you.

Butttt after aly saying she'd pay to see it hmmm i could do with the extra money lol.

Gareth
xx

LOL, you could be on to something there Gareth!! I might have paid too but you're younger than my sons so it just wouldn't be right :cool:

Spangles
16-05-2009, 06:51 PM
Some pretend play I can do like shops and doctors etc although I find it a bit boring after a while (that's bad isn't it!).

I can also do pretend play with little people and even cars that can mysteriously talk!

I'm a bit boring I think because I enjoy more educational type things! I'm a gemini and apparently this is quite typical of my star sign!

I am completely hopeless when it comes to playdoh and stuff. I only ever make snowmen, elephants, people and faces, I have no skill or imagination for this. I love colouring and could colour for hours by my son's not interested! Typical! Another reason I'm useless at arts and crafts is because I can't bear the mess so I find it all too stressful!

My goodness, I've just read this back and realised what a rubbish and boring childminder and mother I am!

Poor Benjamin!

Daddy Day Care
16-05-2009, 07:02 PM
[QUOTE=Daddy Day Care;424579]

LOL, you could be on to something there Gareth!! I might have paid too but you're younger than my sons so it just wouldn't be right :cool:

Hey but life would be boring, if we did everytihng that was "right"....ill sort a vid out and get it priced up :laughing:

Gareth
xx

sue m
16-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Oh that's just the same as me!:o

sue
16-05-2009, 09:44 PM
singing!!!!!!!!!! hate it, as one of my little ones love singing, if its just me and them l will go for it but very out of tune!!!!!!!!!:blush: but when other adults are in ear shot,:eek: and get very :blush: :blush: :blush: always have.

Gizmo
16-05-2009, 09:51 PM
singing!!!!!!!!!! hate it, as one of my little ones love singing, if its just me and them l will go for it but very out of tune!!!!!!!!!:blush: but when other adults are in ear shot,:eek: and get very :blush: :blush: :blush: always have.

I think we are twins my dd2 is 2 and and says mummy please dont sing :blush:
but I am a great fairy prancing about the garden:laughing:

ORKSIE
16-05-2009, 10:00 PM
I am rubbish at this too...I print things out for them to colour on request to get around this!:D

I am good at printing stuff to colour if that what they want:thumbsup: I include KUW by encouraging the children to print their own pictures:thumbsup:

aly
17-05-2009, 10:45 AM
Hey but life would be boring, if we did everytihng that was "right"....ill sort a vid out and get it priced up :laughing:

Gareth
xx
do you think we could claim that back too??

:laughing::laughing:

PixiePetal
17-05-2009, 10:52 AM
I don't like singing except for when we are at home.

Hate sand - why does it have to get everywhere?! Kids have to play in it when we visit somewhere as I won't but it.

I get irritated with kids when baking but hold back from doing it all for them and keep my mouth shut :blush: Takes some doing when the ingredients are flying all over the place :rolleyes:

But I do love crafts, being outside and giving cuddles so it's not all bad at my house :thumbsup: :D

ajs
17-05-2009, 11:13 AM

me neither

absolutely rubbish at arts and crafts i can do imagination till the cows come home but as for drawing nah

sue m
17-05-2009, 11:15 AM
I am SO glad it isn't just me! Thought I was a rotten childminder! I spend hours looking on sparklebox etc and print things off but never seem to use them :eek:

FizzysFriends
17-05-2009, 11:18 AM
I only sing in the car or in the house with children only

merry
17-05-2009, 02:36 PM
I hate imaginative role play, and imaginative play with small world toys, I've always found it tedious and slightly creepy and didn't like it even as a child. I don't mind watching the kids doing it but don't join in, they always put on weird American accents and are constantly making things argue and fight - it does give you quite an insight into their home lives at times! Everything else I like, though toddlers and paint is a combination that makes me uneasy :laughing:

:)

wellybelly
17-05-2009, 02:51 PM
The younger children can draw anything better than me! Im so embarrased. I could actually stick my picture up with the kids and it would pass as a childs!

vix84
18-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Baking ... Ive got no concept of weight and measures, and then I end up eating most of it before the mindees get to take it home:panic: :)

mandy moo
19-05-2009, 10:51 AM
Well thats my laughs for today:laughing: thanks ladys and gents..
Gareth in a tutu, a pink one at that, well I never
Small world play, oh heck
singing, uh oh
toddlers and painting, is it sunny out side?
Cooking, ooh its sunny lets go for a walk
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Im not that terrible, honest:D

Andrea08
19-05-2009, 12:37 PM

and thats why we have no ink left lol

wish i was a fly on the wall when "daddy " is a fairy :D

tell the truth i h8 messy play, and crafts use to love it but not anymore? and i cana draw to save my life.

a tea party is cool esp when i got my Ofsted inspector to join in hehehe

grindal
19-05-2009, 12:46 PM
I have just read this thread and laughed a lot:laughing:
I am rubbish at MESS. I hate MESS. My kids make loads of it - my mindee is great cos he is only 7 months and sits where he is put and plays with what is in front of him and doesnt even move!!
Maybe childminding is not the right career choice for me:blush:
Grindal

OrlandoBelle
19-05-2009, 12:52 PM
My mindees were playing 'buses' with some little chairs when my DO popped in. She kept telling me to sing 'the wheels on the bus' to the children. Now, even my dog cringes when I sing, and I even avoid weddings in case there's singing lol, so just the thought of singing anything in front of her made we want to curl up. I just couldn't do it. (I do sing with the children when we are alone). Mind you, my DO then proceeded to sing every verse to the children. :blush:

I'm exactly the same! I can't sing in front of people. I sing to mindees when I'm on my own. Don't know if I am imagining it but i'm sure they give me funny looks!! Lol. If I sing i front of my DS (aged 9) he rolls his eyes at me and tells me to be quiet! Just how bad am I??? Lol.

These past few weeks have been a nightmare as we've had to go to church to have our banns read for the wedding. So far I have been miming the hymns, but god knows what i'll do when I'm at the alter with the vicar in front of me. Don't think i'll get away with it!!!:panic:

HomefromHome
19-05-2009, 01:09 PM
this has made me chuckle!!!
i love arty farty crafty stuff - can do that for hours - can help wi imagination stuff, happy to be a bod in the thick of things....
but i cannot and will not read books or sing in front of another adult - rhyme time would be a living nightmare for me!!!!!
luckily we do lots at home just me and the mindees but i still get embarrassed !!!!!! :D

Daddy Day Care
19-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Well thats my laughs for today:laughing: thanks ladys and gents..
Gareth in a tutu, a pink one at that, well I never
Small world play, oh heck
singing, uh oh
toddlers and painting, is it sunny out side?
Cooking, ooh its sunny lets go for a walk

Im not that terrible, honest:D

I find pink brings out the colour of my eyes :eek:

Like others have said singing isnt good for me either, at tots groups I cant get away wiv miming being the only male they notice if im not singing. My daughter loves singing and when ever were out walking somewhere we always have to sing whilst we walk. Dont complain to much because she walks faster when shes singing, but got to the stage now when i hear wind the bobbin up I jsut wanan cry.

Gareth
xx

mandy moo
20-05-2009, 06:53 AM
I find pink brings out the colour of my eyes :eek:

Like others have said singing isnt good for me either, at tots groups I cant get away wiv miming being the only male they notice if im not singing. My daughter loves singing and when ever were out walking somewhere we always have to sing whilst we walk. Dont complain to much because she walks faster when shes singing, but got to the stage now when i hear wind the bobbin up I jsut wanan cry.Gareth
xx

emmadines
20-05-2009, 06:58 AM

im the same, Im very crafty and cam make pretty much everything when I put my mind to it but imaginative play Im not that hot on......:S

jess
28-05-2009, 07:32 PM
mine is singing too! quite happily sing at the music group we go to cos im drowned out by the other adults, at home on our own too, but was singing 1 finger 1 thumb once when my neighbour joined in over the fence stating that I sounded like I needed some help!:blush: