PDA

View Full Version : Greenhouse

Annie321
12-02-2008, 05:06 PM
Ive just moved house and gained a greenhouse. All the glass is intact, and it seems a real shame to take it down. Anyone got any cheap!! ideas on how to make it child friendly. ??

Mollymop
12-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Can you fence the area off a bit, so it's out of bounds? But then that is not cheap really is it

Is there anyway you can make that area of your garden out of bounds?

Maybe you could sell it if you don't want it, that is cheap.. and you could earn some money out of selling it:laughing:

sarah707
12-02-2008, 06:39 PM
Ofsted really don't like greenhouses! :(

angeldelight
13-02-2008, 08:32 AM
I personally would not have a greenhouse where there are children around unless it was out of bounds to them

I know a child who slipped and fell through one 2 years ago and died it was horrible and the grandparents who were looking after their grandchild still do not forgive themselves

I think they are too dangerous

Angel xx

charleyfarley
13-02-2008, 08:53 AM
OMG that's awful Angel some times people just don't see the danger in things.

It's the same with ponds, how many people have ponds in their garden without them being covered.

When we were little my m&d had a full glass door in living room.

Anyway one day our dog jumped up at my brother and bro went straight through the glass, luckily he didn't get even one cut.
That's how easy these things happen.

I think you really should fence it off with a lockable gate if you want to keep it.

Carol xx

deeb66
13-02-2008, 08:55 AM
I have to agree with the other ladies.

I personally do not like greenhouses either......

If you want to keep it you will definately have to fence it off so that the children can't get anywhere near it.

mjw
13-02-2008, 02:13 PM
I have a greenhouse and we have put a picket fence around it plus a trellis on one side to grow plants up. Never had a problem from ofsted about it. Children know they are not allowed in it and show no interest. Its just a matter of being sensible. They have to live in the real world where there are dangers but they know the boundaries. we can't take all dangers away in the environment or they will never learn.

Heaven Scent
19-02-2008, 12:17 PM
I agree with mjw having been responsible for health and safety in nurseries on and off over a 20 year period and been on more courses than I can count on two hands it is not our responsibility to wrap children up in cotton wool and restrict them from life experiences it is our responsibility to prepare them for all aspects of life and to give them the skills to help them to keep themselves safe as they grow older.

As I said in another thread it is your home at the end of the day and so long as you take all measures possible to make the area safe and make the children aware of the dangers and so long as they are properly supervised then and you've prepared a thorough risk assessment with an effective action plan on how to control any risks then you are entitled to enjoy your greenhouse if you should so wish.

I'm afraid a fence or some sort of hedge is all you can do here to keep it out of bounds of the children but you must also ensure that you keep the people who use the greenhouse safe is to repair any accidental damage that occours as soon as it happens.

If the greenhouse is managed properly there is no reason that you can't let the children experience it under thorough supervision.

Celine McGuire:cool:

Annie_T
27-02-2008, 07:32 PM
fence it off or get rid of it, i hate them and they are dangerous for any child especially the 'whats that' children

Tily Bud
27-02-2008, 08:01 PM
I agree you could fence it off or replace all the glass with clear perspex or cove the glass with clear safety film :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

michellethegooner
28-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Me personally I would get rid anything with that much glass in it would terrify me with kids.. yes you could fence it off with a lockable gate. but like I said I would get rid I just keep getting horrible visions or a child throwing a stone and glass flying everywhere ohhhh no ta ... just my opinion though

Michelle x

disney
17-03-2008, 02:11 AM
i have a green house and its at the bottom of my garden , we fenced it off & have a lock on the gate you can see it but my children have never tried to go in . i have told them they are not allowed and they understand this just like my other rules .they are always watched in the garden and are never left alone .:)