PDA

View Full Version : double buggy question

mozarella
15-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Sorry posted this on new registration rather than here, so sorry if you have read that on the other forum

Was looking at getting a double maclaren buggy but it says maximum weight is 15 kilos.

William is 9 month and already 10 kilos. How long would he fit in it, i was hoping it could last until a child is 3 years old.

Which have you got and can they take more weight?

Moz

pinklady
15-05-2009, 11:27 AM
I've got the Maclaren double buggy (techno twin) and my mindee is 1 and ds is 2 1/2. My mindee is VERY big for his age and weighs more than my son and they are both fine int it. All I will say is that it is extremely heavy to push. I feel like i've been to the gym after the school run!:blush:

Nix
15-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Maclaren buggies are meant to be good and have an excellent reputation. I have a mothercare one and push two girls both aged nearly two. It's fine but hard work up hill as it only has little wheels.

Sure there are lots of people out there with other makes who'll let you know what they think. I think the three wheelers are popular...:D

Mrs.L.C
15-05-2009, 11:48 AM
The twin out n about nipper is good and easy too push with heavier children in it

charleyfarley
15-05-2009, 11:52 AM
I have the same buggy as Esther and I know how she feels.

I have a 18 m, 2 1/2 yo and a 3 1/2 it copes with them fine complete with buggyboard for whichever one that wants to walk.

It is hard going and heavy especially up hill, just call me popeye :D

Tbh I'm not that keen on it now but can't change it as I've only had it since September :blush: and hubby would go mad.

Carol xx

Zoomie
15-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread, but can anyone make any suggestions for heavier children, in a tandem buggy (ie one in front of the other).

I am aware of the jane twin and p&t, but the prices are :eek: :eek: :eek:

HomefromHome
15-05-2009, 12:22 PM
i've had tandems and side by sides....
i personally find side by side are easier - i currently have a mclaren twin traveller - i think the weight restrictions are to cover their own backs (so you dont sue!) so perhaps just keep an eye on weight - it is per seat so if you have a younger one and a toddler it evens itself out!

like a previous member i have a 1, 2 and 3 yr old - i use a buggy board on mine too - buggy boards dont tend to fit tandems as well as side by sides. only thing i have to do is loosen off the catches for the buggy board so they can turn when i fold the buggy.

i do get quite a few looks if seen with the double and buggy board!! i would lurve that double one that has a toddler seat that's detachable to the front.... but alas, i dont have over £500!!!!!!!
:D

Zoomie
15-05-2009, 12:49 PM
The reason I ask, is I want to bring the buggy inside my house, and a side-by-side won't fit through the door.

Mrs.L.C
15-05-2009, 01:35 PM
I looked into the Jane power twin but theres not much room for legs and if u had a toddler in the front they would prob be able to touch the wheel with their feet. Phil & teds dont seem to give much space in the seat at the bottom either

Havnt come across a nice easy to push tandem

Some side by sides will fit through standard doors so worth measuring the width of door and trying to get a buggy no wider

PixiePetal
15-05-2009, 01:55 PM
I got a Jane Twin two from ebay for £265. Love it. Room for 2 easily, smooth to push and fits in my front door ( main reason for getting tandem if not I would have got an 'out n about' )

It came with 2 cosy toes (worth £50 each) and a baby car seat that can click in the back seat (would have been £150) oh and matching changing bag!

Handle is quite high so not good if you are very short! :laughing: I am 5' 4' and thats short enough:)

I have a maclaren side by side too. Will keep it for if I need to put it in a car. Will not go in my front door but better if you need to get it in and out of a car - I don't drive.

PixiePetal
15-05-2009, 01:58 PM
I looked into the Jane power twin but theres not much room for legs and if u had a toddler in the front they would prob be able to touch the wheel with their feet. Phil & teds dont seem to give much space in the seat at the bottom either

Havnt come across a nice easy to push tandem

Some side by sides will fit through standard doors so worth measuring the width of door and trying to get a buggy no wider

I didn't get the power twin as reviews said about childrens feet touching the wheel.

My front door measures 65cm and Twin Two is 64cm I think, just squeezes in :thumbsup:

pinklady
15-05-2009, 04:02 PM
The reason I ask, is I want to bring the buggy inside my house, and a side-by-side won't fit through the door.

My Maclaren side by side fits through my front door and most other doorways. :thumbsup:

mozarella
15-05-2009, 04:24 PM
I went to John Lewis today and looked at the maclaren and out n about, the lady told me the buggy board doesnt go on double buggy !!!

The Juggler
15-05-2009, 04:27 PM
I know loads of minders who use buggy board on double buggy. I think most children up to three or even four would be fine in a double - though pushing might be hard work. My lighter four year olds often hop in the buggy once one side is empty for a ride home on the school run and have never broken the buggy yet.

I have a very narrow front door and can't get any double in but I couldn't push the tandem as have dodgy elbow!

PixiePetal
15-05-2009, 05:10 PM
My Maclaren side by side fits through my front door and most other doorways. :thumbsup:

But not my front door :laughing:

pinklady
15-05-2009, 05:17 PM
But not my front door :laughing:

That's annoying!:mad:

watgem
16-05-2009, 03:03 PM
I have a cossato double buggy which fits fine through my narrow front door and will take bigger children, although this does make it heavy to push, and it doesn't lay completely flat for tiny ones, but I have been very pleased with it, it has roomy baskets under, is sturdy and well made, quite big wheels . I'm not sure which model it is but it has curved struts at the back so am not sure if it would take a buggy board:)

michellethegooner
16-05-2009, 03:43 PM

Mine too have no probs with it at all