PDA

View Full Version : Washing little ones' hands

sophiestars
14-05-2009, 09:18 PM
Hi just a quickie - i have 2 mindees aged 14 mths and one aged 7 mths, will ofsted think it's acceptable to wash their hands before eating with baby wipes rather than in the sink with soap and water? It's a bit tricky at the sink as they are so small.

Thanks Sophie

huggableshelly
14-05-2009, 09:31 PM
how about a nice fresh wasm flannel instead that you have soaked in soap solution then encourage them to try and dry themselves with a towel but with your assistance

then use the same for cleaning them up after .... its cheaper than wipes and you are still using soap.

rickysmiths
14-05-2009, 10:04 PM
For the older one you could buy a small bowl that you could use on the table for them to start to wash their hand independently.

michellethegooner
14-05-2009, 10:06 PM
I always use a flannel and warm soapy water, I find it better for the skin tbh, even the lo doesn't mind the warm flannel but she hates being wiped with baby wipes

sophiestars
14-05-2009, 10:28 PM
ok thanks guys, so if mrs ofsted was here, I would have to use a different flannel for each child is that right, and what about the water would i have to change it for each child as the germs from the first 2 will be in there when I wash the 3rd or is that a bit over the top?

rickysmiths
14-05-2009, 10:31 PM
ok thanks guys, so if mrs ofsted was here, I would have to use a different flannel for each child is that right, and what about the water would i have to change it for each child as the germs from the first 2 will be in there when I wash the 3rd or is that a bit over the top?

A flannel/towel for each child. Yes fresh water for each child.

sophiestars
15-05-2009, 06:51 PM
ok I'm sticking with baby wipes until they are a bit older then. It's enough hassle getting all of them sat down , strapped in and their lunches sorted without having 3 bowls of water on the table for them to knock over too! plus 3 extra towels to wash every day!

sue
15-05-2009, 10:11 PM
ok I'm sticking with baby wipes until they are a bit older then. It's enough hassle getting all of them sat down , strapped in and their lunches sorted without having 3 bowls of water on the table for them to knock over too! plus 3 extra towels to wash every day!

Yes l agree, when they are old enough to reach the sink with a foot stool then l start to encourage them to do it themseves.