PDA

View Full Version : settling in period

devoncm
12-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Hi guys,
ok ive not had that many enquiries for a while and im going to florida for two in just over two weeks so any enquiries i do get i really dont want to be saying no to,as i can have them after, i had a call today to look after a 10 month little boy so not to lose out on having this mindee i have said to come by for a visit next week and we could possibly do a settling period so to speak before i go, she will only need me probably 9-5 2 days a week, now im not sure if a settling in period is required as i could just have him for the two days needed until i go, what would you guys do and if you done settling in period would you charge the same or less?

hope ive not confused you too much

Marie

deeb66
12-02-2008, 01:13 PM
Hi Marie

I know it is only for 2 days a week but I still think that you need to do a settling in period as it will still be for 8 hours which is an awful long time for a 10 month old baby.

This baby will be just at that age where his is having seperation anxiety and will more than likely not like being seperated from mum.

If I were in your shoes I wouldn't do a settling in before you go away on holiday as there will be 2 weeks before you have him again and to him it will be like starting over!

If you do decide to start the settling in period before your holiday I would recommend that you have him for a couple of hours to start with working up to the full 8 hours.

I usually have a child for 2-3 hours the first couple of times and then decide how to proceed from there but usually progress to giving lunch and having afternoon sleep with me.

I know that it may seem a bit slow but i usually find that this works really well for both me (especially my ears ;) _ and the baby/child!

As I have quite an extended settling in period....yes I do charge my normally hourly rate for the hours that the child is with me.

Hope this helps

son77
12-02-2008, 01:22 PM
I took on a baby last nov who was 6 months at the time.

I did 2, 2 hour settling in sessions free of charge.

Found that was plenty.

The only seperation anxiety he gets now is when he has to leave & go home!!

deeb66
12-02-2008, 01:24 PM
I took on a baby last nov who was 6 months at the time.

I did 2, 2 hour settling in sessions free of charge.

Found that was plenty.

The only seperation anxiety he gets now is when he has to leave & go home!!

Yes I usually find that sort of time wshould be enough for a 6 month old but the baby is 10 months old.

They are usually tougher to settle in at this age as they have spent more time with mum.

Having said that not all of them are like it so maybe this one won't.....

son77
12-02-2008, 01:29 PM
I totally agree with you dee.

You just have to play it by ear sometimes as they are all so different. xx

LittleMissSparkles
12-02-2008, 01:55 PM
hope it all goes ok before your hols and little one settles in well xxx

devoncm
12-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Thanks for advice, i think i will say i will have a couple hours a day for every few days to start with before i go away then when i come back have him for couple hours again and see how he is and take it from there, wish i told his mum to come by this week now so he could come for longer but never mind next tuesday isnt that far away.
ill keep you posted.
thanks guys, you been a great help even if i just read what oters put its helping me alot

Marie

deeb66
12-02-2008, 02:20 PM
OK Marie

Glad we could help

Good luck