PDA

View Full Version : How to charge

Rasharoon
05-12-2007, 11:03 AM
Hi
I've just had a call from a potential client (is that the right word??) enquiring about looking after her daugher (aged 3) 1 morning OR afternoon per week term time with then 3 or 4 sessions in the school holidays. I quoted her £4.00 per hour on the phone but for the small amount of time I would have the mindee, is this the best way of working it? There maybe the odd time that I would have her eldest daughter (aged 7) during school holidays but I'm led to believe that these visits will be few and far between due to holiday clubs etc, so again, how do I charge/contract her:confused: :confused: :confused: ?
She is coming to visit next week so would like to be prepared.
Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Rachelle

Rasharoon
05-12-2007, 11:04 AM
Whoops. Got a bit carried away putting a smiley in (doh).

Banana
06-12-2007, 09:09 AM
Have you set a minimum hours policy?

I know Angel doesnt do any less than 8 hours. And others have different amounts.

I personally would charge a minimum of 5 hours.

If you are asking about additional care and what to charge,,, I dont know if you can unless she is giving you set days that she needs. If its only 1 afternoon/morning a week at the moment I dont know how she would feel about paying a retainer for potential extra days?

Am i answering your question at all or have I not understood? Im not sure I am answering what you were trying to find out

xxxxxxxxxxx

angeldelight
06-12-2007, 09:17 AM
I think what you are charging for the 3 year old would be fine and maybe sticking to Lanas rule that you do no less than 5 hours a week so even if you only work for 3 hours they would have to pay you for 5 hours

The other daughter - well not sure what you mean here does she expect you just to drop everything and have her other daughter when she needs you ?
That might not work to be a good thing because say if you get another contracted child in the meantime and you had to let this parent down - she might be funny with you

Even if she only wants a few hours a week for the older daughter I would make sure they are contracted hours so she must pay you every week to keep the " place open" for her daughter - if she does not need or use your services that is up to her
But she must still pay for them to keep the place if you see what I mean

Not sure if I have explained that very well seem to have rambled

Angel xx

Pipsqueak
06-12-2007, 11:29 AM
I think Angel and 'Nana have explained it well.

I had a parent who wanted chop and change days and hours too (at one point) and it ended up being a very hard situation. I did not have minimum hours in place at that time and I ended up losing out.

I would pin the hours/times/days down on a contract.

Rubybubbles
12-12-2007, 02:17 PM
good advice given about minimum hours! I've always lost out to school runs because of this!

The main thing I guess is that you don't want to turn down other people for such little time!