PDA

View Full Version : anyone do term time only?

chels55
14-05-2009, 10:45 AM
i think im about to lose my full timer and will then be left with term time only children. Im a single parent and rely on the working tax credits so will i lose these as i will only be working 38 weeks a year

sarah707
14-05-2009, 11:02 AM
It depends on how many hours you work averaged out through the year, not on how many weeks of the year you work.

Add up your hours per week, times them by 38 weeks you are working to get the total working for the year... then divide by 52 to get the average ... I think. Sums are not my strong point I might have to edit this later LOL!

You need over 18 hours average a week to get tax credits I think... best ring them and check when you know your totals. Don't ask them to make any changes at this stage though, just check your figures and what you are entitled to if your hours change...

You never know what's around the corner.

Hth :D

angeldelight
18-05-2009, 06:40 AM
Oh hope something else comes along soon

Angel xx

singlewiththree
18-05-2009, 07:18 AM
I'm term time only and a single mum. I start properly in Oct and I will be getting paid monthly rather than just term time by direct debit. I will be working 50hrs a week. I hadn't thought to change my hours to be honest I had just thought about the money side. Will look into that too. I do have adhoc holiday care too.

michellethegooner
18-05-2009, 07:22 AM
I do offer term time only, but also I do holiday cover as well so I usually find my hrs go up in the holidays,

Mrs.L.C
18-05-2009, 12:24 PM
I thought if you worked 16 or more hours a week you could claim?

My friend spoke to them as she thought her hours were going to drop to less than 16 a week and they told her she could carry on claiming for 3 months so im sure if you are working at least 16 hours a week term time , you should be ok but I would contact them to check

What Sarah suggested- working out an average seems like a good idea so you can give them that as well

sophiestars
18-05-2009, 07:34 PM
Yes you can definitely do an average of hours over the year or even 6 months. Also it is 16 hours you need to work to claim. I know this as I had the same problem when working in a Creche. I wasn't quite doing 16 hours a week even after averaging it out over 6 months so couldn't get the childcare element for my own children - hence why I am now childminding - no childcare issues!!

louloudi
19-05-2009, 08:57 AM
I'm in the same situation as you yet I've only got 20hrs a week term time only , Not sure what this would work out as if I divided it by 52?
Anyway, at the moment I'm entitled to claim income support as they allow you to keep 2/3rds of your income.
Maybe you could go to the jobcentre and get an appointment with a lone parent advisor so you could discuss your options

Mrs.L.C
19-05-2009, 12:01 PM
I'm in the same situation as you yet I've only got 20hrs a week term time only , Not sure what this would work out as if I divided it by 52?
Anyway, at the moment I'm entitled to claim income support as they allow you to keep 2/3rds of your income.
Maybe you could go to the jobcentre and get an appointment with a lone parent advisor so you could discuss your options

I think theres about 38 weeks in term time so you would do 20 x 38 / 52 which is just under 15 hours but if you were to ahve a child just some days in the holidays you would be over 16

Blackhorse
19-05-2009, 01:20 PM
what about the hours we spend doing paperwork etc?
that is part of our working week isn't it?
can that not be added as well??
I know we only get paid when kids are here, but being self employed you usually work more than simply the hourse you are being paid for

or is this nonsense?

Mrs.L.C
19-05-2009, 01:39 PM
I know we only get paid when kids are here, but being self employed you usually work more than simply the hourse you are being paid for

or is this nonsense?

I totally agree

Rubybubbles
19-05-2009, 01:50 PM

or is this nonsense?

:laughing: nice try

louloudi
20-05-2009, 07:50 AM
seriously

I thought if you were claiming tax credits you could add a few for paperwork etc.

I'm sure someone posted this before

mandy moo
20-05-2009, 09:50 AM
Id love to do just term time:)

FizzysFriends
20-05-2009, 09:52 AM
Put some ads out for holiday care in the summer holidays, how about advertising what trip/outings you are going on and having activity sessions?

The Juggler
20-05-2009, 12:32 PM
I think theres about 38 weeks in term time so you would do 20 x 38 / 52 which is just under 15 hours but if you were to ahve a child just some days in the holidays you would be over 16

I do some term-time only it's 39 weeks term time but 1 week of that is inset days so you would need to offer full-time care for an additional week or they would need to find an alternative. I have teachers so I work anyway as they are all in school.