PDA

View Full Version : a quick question regarding hand towels

mozarella
13-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Do you have to provide individual handtowels for children?

FizzysFriends
13-05-2009, 07:45 PM
They use flannels here they are easier to wash but they dont share. They only use them once as to not cross contaminate.

miffy
13-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Yes! :)

Miffy xx

Nix
13-05-2009, 07:48 PM
Yep...we have a whole rainbow of colours!:D

emler
13-05-2009, 07:52 PM
Yep...we have a whole rainbow of colours!:D

yes same here

sarah707
13-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Yes! I have face flannels as well stacked at the back of the loo.

My friend has a paper towel dispenser.

Another friend has kitchen towels on a roll and teaches the children to tear one piece at a time.

They should go in a lidded bin :D

Daftbat
13-05-2009, 07:59 PM
I use paper towels already torn in to sections in a basket in the bathroom

Polka Dots
13-05-2009, 08:00 PM
I use a paper towel dispenser that was a freebie with kitchen roll (cheaper than proper paper towels).

madasahatter
13-05-2009, 08:26 PM
I have a row of pegs near the sink each with a child's photo and name above it. They each have a guest sized towel which I wash at the end of each week.

Blackhorse
13-05-2009, 08:36 PM
I have a row of pegs near the sink each with a child's photo and name above it. They each have a guest sized towel which I wash at the end of each week.

see that is what I wanted to do. One towel each that gets washed every so often but was told at the induction training not to do this but to use either paper or one off little towels....:mad:

sweets
13-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Mine have their own towel too, i got some thick tea towels from dunelm with different animals on, they are the perfect size and the children all know which is their animal.
I did'nt like the thought of using paper or kitchen towel as i think its a bit of a waste! i try to eco as much as poss.
Ofsted were happy with this when i had my inspection and even commented that the animals were cute! so do whatever works best for you.

Amaranth
13-05-2009, 08:52 PM
I use paper towels due to the number of kids that come each week. I work with hubby and we have 24 kids on the books at the mo :eek: , so using individual towels for each would be a nightmare! :laughing:
Having said that, if we didn't have as many mindees, I would certainly use small hand towels, i agree with you Jodie, it is a bit of a waste using paper towels. I keep trying to think if there's anything I can use the used ones for. I hate things going to waste.
Hubby used to laugh at me for some of the things I wouldn't let him throw away 'because they might come in useful for craft!' but he's nearly as bad as me now! :laughing:

sweets
13-05-2009, 08:55 PM
24 children! don't think dunelm has that many animals :laughing: :laughing:
I think i would use paper towels in your position too! ive only got 3 chidren on books at mo so using towels is manageable. Saying that the 3 year old i have usually just uses his trousers to dry his hands on :laughing: Don't think mrs ofsted would like that!

Amaranth
13-05-2009, 09:03 PM
24 children! don't think dunelm has that many animals :laughing: :laughing:
:laughing: LOL :laughing:
I think I would struggle to find 24 different animals that the kids would recognise :laughing:
I think i would use paper towels in your position too! ive only got 3 chidren on books at mo so using towels is manageable. Saying that the 3 year old i have usually just uses his trousers to dry his hands on :laughing: Don't think mrs ofsted would like that!
I have a few trouser wipers too! The best thing is, they think you don't know they've done it, but they have great big wet handprints all over their trousers/ skirts :laughing: :laughing:

sweets
13-05-2009, 09:07 PM
The trouser wipers are better than the just shake thems! at least you don't get sprayed with water at each hand wash::laughing: :laughing:

Was thinking though, surely you have room for 24 little pegs and towels in your bathroom! lol. ask your hubby to fix some up. :laughing:

Amaranth
13-05-2009, 09:29 PM
I wish I had a bathroom that big. I wish, I wish, I wish.
The pegs would be going all the way down the hallway if we put 24 of them up :laughing: :laughing:

Megan
13-05-2009, 09:34 PM
I do have individual handtowels (little ones for little people) however we have been told to use paper towels from now onwards!

Megan

littletreasures
13-05-2009, 09:40 PM
I have different coloured individual hand towels for the children. They are on seperate hooks with the children's photo above. All 6 children know which colour is theirs and they get changed every day.

They are golf towels from towelsrus.co.uk and cost £3 each. I have 5 of each colour so spent a lot of money on them. At my last inspection 3 years ago Ofsted said this was fine. After spending that sort of money I am not going to change it!!

Blue Boy
14-05-2009, 07:45 AM
We also have a peg rail with the children's pictures on and face flannels for them to use they are just the right size. They are boil washed at the end of each week. If you have an Ikea near you you can packs of ten for next to nothing.

Love
Mick xx

OrlandoBelle
14-05-2009, 07:57 AM
I have a peg rack in my downstairs loo with the child's name and photo above each peg. They have their own face cloth which gets changed everyday. These are small white squares with a different coloured loop on the to hang them up. Perfect for drying little hands on!

When I had my pre-reg, the inspector told me I should provide a towel for each child.

Bushpig
14-05-2009, 08:38 AM
I use paper towels already torn in to sections in a basket in the bathroom

Ditto! Works well I find.

anneriddington
14-05-2009, 12:27 PM
I use Ikea flannels, they are in packs of 10 I think and have coloured tags on them so each child knows which colour is theirs. The are cheap and it works really well

Carol
14-05-2009, 12:55 PM
I bought guest sized towels from Ikea 39p each and my daughter has put the childrens names on each one. At a Food and Hygiene course at moment and was told towels have to be washed every day if the child has used it.

Carol xx

beerheaven
14-05-2009, 01:04 PM
I have a hand dryer - paid with grant money a few years ago!

I use IKEA flannels for any little ones who are initially afraid of the dryer.

vix84
14-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Can anyone tell me where the cheapest place is to buy paper towels? Even if its a long roll that I can then cut up into sheets and put in a basket?

I have enough washing to do without extra towels at the moment!

Im guessing you cant recycle them either?

nokidshere
14-05-2009, 04:36 PM
I use one towel for everyone :)

If they have just washed their hands, what exactly are they going to pass on??

sarahlou
14-05-2009, 04:38 PM
i have paper towels so there are no towels in the toilet so no cross contamination:)

OrlandoBelle
14-05-2009, 04:38 PM
I use one towel for everyone :)

If they have just washed their hands, what exactly are they going to pass on??

You'd be surprised! My little white towels turn green at the end of each day because the little darlings don't wash the Kandoo soap off properly! I have to stand over them now to make sure they do it properly!

nokidshere
14-05-2009, 04:43 PM
You'd be surprised! My little white towels turn green at the end of each day because the little darlings don't wash the Kandoo soap off properly! I have to stand over them now to make sure they do it properly!

Even better :thumbsup: If you are supervising them then there is even less risk of cross contamination than when they do it alone :D

I cant think of anything of the top of my head that could be passed on from freshly washed hands - might have a google ;)

mammumof4
14-05-2009, 05:25 PM
at my pre reg a few years ago i was told i could put a pack a baby wipes in my down stairs loo for washing hands, with a lidded bin. (i have no sink in there)

Chimps Childminding
14-05-2009, 05:30 PM
We were told that even if you had a peg with a child's photo above it, you couldn't rely on children using the right towel, so single use or paper towels were best. I have a stack of the Ikea flannels in a basket, the children use them once then pop them in the lidded bin to be washed!:thumbsup:

HENNY
14-05-2009, 05:41 PM
I bought some coloured sucker hooks from Argos and each child has two one for a flannel and the other for a small towel ( I've made two from one ordinary hand towel).I put their photo and name above and have sewn loops onto the towels/flannels so they can hang them up.:thumbsup:

Toothfairy
14-05-2009, 06:45 PM
I bought a pack of hand towels from the childrens dept of Ikea.
All the towels are white but each one has a different coloured loop to hang them up with. So each child has their own colour loop. They were very cheap, about £3-£4 for a pack of 5. So I bought a few packs.

I just pop them into the wash each night. :thumbsup: