PDA

View Full Version : is it wirtten on your certificate that you have an assistant

mozarella
13-05-2009, 03:07 PM
I saw my mentor today and she has her assistant written down. I have an assistant but just for an extra pair of hand.

Could it be because her numbers have been uped due to her assistant?

Also can you leave a child with assistant if you want to go to gp and not take all teh children providing you have a permission form?

Blue Boy
13-05-2009, 03:50 PM
When our son turned 16 last August we had to get the required CRB check done on him and got him registered as an assistant as he goes to college and is at home at least once a week. This does not mean that our numbers are increased. It states on both our certificates" May at times agreed & confirmed in writing by parents, leave an assistant in sole charge of the children (Early Years Register)". This certificate was issued on the 8th January this year and as far as we are concerned is still valid. I do believe that Pauline put down a thread stating that it now says somewhere that you cannot leave children with an assistant, we have checked with ofsted and they say we are ok.

Hope this helps?

Love
Mickxx

shopshelleyd
13-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Hi

You cannot leave children with an assistant on their own unless they have paediatric first aid. This came up at my inspection and even though I had parents permission to leave children with assistant (my husband) they said (spent an hour checking with Head Office to be sure) he cannot be left in sole charge unless has first aid (must be paediatric).

Shelley

mozarella
13-05-2009, 06:33 PM
oh that's a shame, i registered her as an assisatant part to help me with appointment and stuff

Will call ofsted anyway

shopshelleyd
13-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Well if they tell you can leave without having first aid get it in writing. They pointed out to me in the EYFS document where it says "At least one person who has a current paediatric first aid certificate must be on the premises at all times when children are present" p26 on Statutory Framework under Illnesses and Injuries.

My inspection report sounds so awful because I had left my assistant for 10 mins with a child who was asleep while I took another to nursery. My report reads that childrens health and safety is compromised!

Shelley

estrelas
13-05-2009, 08:02 PM
Well if they tell you can leave without having first aid get it in writing. They pointed out to me in the EYFS document where it says "At least one person who has a current paediatric first aid certificate must be on the premises at all times when children are present" p26 on Statutory Framework under Illnesses and Injuries.

My inspection report sounds so awful because I had left my assistant for 10 mins with a child who was asleep while I took another to nursery. My report reads that childrens health and safety is compromised!

Shelley

Ok so if i register an assistant, can i leave him in the room with mindee while i put my daughter to bed?

shopshelleyd
13-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Yes, fine to leave children with assistant as long as you are in house, I presume within sight or sound in case there is a problem.

Out of interest my new certificate they sent after my inspection still says, assistant may be left in sole charge with parents permission. I have argued with OFSTED that they need to amend this to add on as long as have paediatric first aid but obviously got nowhere!

rickysmiths
13-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Yes, fine to leave children with assistant as long as you are in house, I presume within sight or sound in case there is a problem.

Out of interest my new certificate they sent after my inspection still says, assistant may be left in sole charge with parents permission. I have argued with OFSTED that they need to amend this to add on as long as have paediatric first aid but obviously got nowhere!

It does state in EYFS that First Aid is needed. Out of interest my dh is Registered as my Assistant, he had up to date First Aid, Safeguarding Children, Designated Persons Child Protection which we did together and is about to to Food Hygiene. He only works with me in the holidays and a very little in the late afternoon because he is a full time teacher. I just thought it was a good idea that he did the training.

shopshelleyd
13-05-2009, 10:37 PM
Yes I agree in an ideal world hubby would do training but he had just done an aquatic first aid course because he helps out with scouts groups etc doing kayaking but not good enough (about 1 hour short of paediatric training apparently). Also he only registered so I could help out one mum for 1 hour a week just for this year on the school run. It has caused us so much hassle and I was only doing a favour. If he worked with me more often then would definitely do all training etc. To be honest in an emergency situation he would be far better than me, I am sure I would just panic and forget everything, he is really calm and good like that.