PDA

View Full Version : daily mail today...

rebjay123
11-02-2008, 10:49 PM
In the daily mail dabate bit today www.dailymail.co.uk is the for and against the new EYFS. Beverley Hughs( dept for childrens schools and families ) says as a defense " our early years framework simply points people working with children to the possibility many children of that age might show an interest, and suggests the kind of mobiles,wind up radios and other toys might harness that interest " when asked about children being forced to be taught ICT skills by Childminders,nurseries etc.
I find this extremely insulting and have written to tell her so! Arghhhhhh

sarah707
12-02-2008, 08:12 AM
It makes it very difficult for those settings and parents who do not believe in teaching ICT or having ICT equipment available ... I agree. I know some parents who do not have televisions or computers and do not want their children to have access to these things, for whatever reason...

In these circumstances, though, eyfs does give a sort of a get-out - we have to prove we are meeting all areas of the curriculum in other ways. There is a section produced specially for eg. Steiner and Waldorf school settings (on the cdrom I think I saw it), saying they are to show they are meeting the needs of each child by alternative means if they choose not to follow eyfs...

I think it will be hard though and eyfs also makes it clear that it is compulsory - nobody has a choice, which is a little contradictory... but then we are used to that aren't we! :laughing: