PDA

View Full Version : oops I did it again!!!

michellethegooner
13-05-2009, 01:20 PM
I had an enquiry yesterday for 2-3 days, so I rang mum back & said I had a space... then she said 2 of the days would be sat & sun :eek: 8am - 5pm and she would pay £70 a day.. so I said yes, pop round and we can have a chat etc so she is supposed to be coming round tomorrow.

Now the problem is I haven't worked wkends for several years and even then it was only a sat from 12-3

After speaking with my kids, I asked them to be honest & they both said 'no' they didnt want babies here the wkend as that is our time. which is fine, but now I have to ring mum back and tell her I cant do it.

I don't want to tell her that I said yes without thinking about it or discussing with my family, but even if my kids had said yes I probably still wouldnt have done it as wkends are my time and I couldn't face a 7 day working week :eek: its ok when it occasional wkend minding but not long term.

Any ideas how I can say no without sounding unprofessional???

FussyElmo
13-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Think I would be honest with her and explain that your children dont want you to do it. Say you didnt expect them to mind so strongly and that you would hate for her child to feel that they werent welcome in your house:)

michellethegooner
13-05-2009, 01:35 PM
thought I might have to be honest... eek ok going to call her NOW!!!

Demonjill
13-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Good luck with the call Michelle. Hope she is understanding.

You are quite right to keep your weekends.:thumbsup:

CCJD
13-05-2009, 02:56 PM
I often find it hard to think quickly enough on my feet when I have an enquiry. The danger about saying yes/no straight away is that either you take on something you can't manage or turn away something (that with a little thought) you actually could have done. I try to get into the practice of knowing the hours I can defintely do. If any enquiry falls outside this I say that I need to have a proper look at my numbers as I would hate to say yes and then find I couldn't and I will ring them back. That way I can give the enquiry proper consideration.
I don't know why, but I hate saying no (even when there is no way I can help??) but saying I will ring them back has definitely helped me not falling into this trap.
Hope parent was ok but I agree with you, couldn't go back to working weekends for all the money in the world!!! You need 2 days off !

Nix
13-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Hope the call goes well...how nice that your children are able to talk to you honestly about how they feel:D

Besides 8-5 for £70 isn't enough!!:D

emler
13-05-2009, 02:59 PM
I hope the mum was ok when you called her. I wouldn't want to do full days at the weekend either so I can understand you not being keen.

michellethegooner
14-05-2009, 09:49 AM
first I rang another c/m who gave me details of ANOTHER minder lol who .. wait for it ........

works mon-sun 6am-12pm :eek: :eek: :eek: I dont know this minder personally but she is advertised on netmums so I rang mum up explained about my family commitments and that I have to take their views into account, she sounded disapointed as she hasn't found anyone who will do wkends... until I gave her this other minders details, although I did explain that I dont know the other minder, so I couldn't personally recommend her and pointed her to netmums to view her advert...

anyway glad I done it now...

and yes I need to think before I speak lol hopefully I will the next time hmmmm:rolleyes:

katickles
14-05-2009, 10:01 AM
I had an enquiry just before having dd2 it would have been for 3 out of 4 saturdays, I explained taht i would need to speak to hubby & then after the talk decided it wouldn't be fair on our family time either.

i am so pleased I did now though as by the time Saturday is here I am soooooooooooooooooo glad of the day off!!