PDA

View Full Version : How do you take on your under 5's? Full timers? part timers? mixture of both?

Polka Dots
13-05-2009, 08:55 AM
What combination do you have for your 3 under 5's? Do you accept full timers only or a mixture of full time and part time? Have any of you with full timers found parents wanting to reduce their days due to the current climate?

I currently have vacancies for a full time and part time [monday & friday] place. Then I'd have another vacancy available in September when my DD starts school. I've had an enquiry for a child to start in September for 3-4 days a week. Ideally I wanted to fill the place with a full time child. I guess what I would like to know is do you think I'm being unrealistic and should take on more part timers? :o

Hebs
13-05-2009, 09:29 AM
i had 2 full timers (siblings) and when they left my income stopped

now i don't mind having 1 full timer and the rest part time so when 1 leaves it doesn't impact me quite so much :thumbsup:

rickysmiths
13-05-2009, 09:37 AM
I have 2 full timers 7.30am/8am and two part timers one 2 days and one 3days and I have a variation to have another one 2 days a week. I have always had a mixture. In an ideal world full timers would make life more straightforward but it doesn't work like that.

However if I have the space I never turn away, even if I make it clear that it may be a short term arrangment until a more full time child comes along because you never know what might happen. One 6mth old I took on for 3hrs on a Friday afternoon turned into 2 full 10hr days and it looks like a third day from Sept!

FizzysFriends
13-05-2009, 09:48 AM
All my mindees are part time, so my eggs aren't all in the same basket.

Polka Dots
13-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Silly as it sounds I hadn't though about the flip side if a full timer left. I'll try for one full time and make up the numbers where I can with part timers.

grindal
13-05-2009, 09:58 AM
Both DS1 and 2 are under 5s so I only have 1 available space for another under 5. I considered myself lucky for getting a full timer, but having read what other people are saying, maybe it is better to go down the part time route!
Grindal

FizzysFriends
13-05-2009, 09:59 AM
Silly as it sounds I hadn't though about the flip side if a full timer left. I'll try for one full time and make up the numbers where I can with part timers.

I think in this climate its good to be open and take whats available. The problem with holding out for a full timer is you could be waiting years.

uf353432
13-05-2009, 10:18 AM
I initially thought I would want full time for my only under 5 space - but the way its worked out I am getting all part tim enquiries which actually suits me much better. Now that I have started I value the time I get to spend with juts my own kids more - and whilst i'll try and accomodate every enquiry I get - I am actually quite pleased when its for term time only or only 3-4 days or 1 afternoon a week etc. I quite like the variety.

FussyElmo
13-05-2009, 10:54 AM
Both DS1 and 2 are under 5s so I only have 1 available space for another under 5. I considered myself lucky for getting a full timer, but having read what other people are saying, maybe it is better to go down the part time route!
Grindal

Im the same two of my spaces are taken up by my own children. I have filled my other place with a full timer but she has been with me for ever (well feels like it). I think at the mo go with what you can get. Yes finacially it would hit if she went but then again parents are teachers so their jobs are not that risky (touching wood) :)

youarewhatyoueat
13-05-2009, 10:58 AM
I do part timers, to be honest I really don't want a full timer, just don't fancy having the same children all the time, I like to keep my options open and keep it interesting, and it gives me time with my own kids,and my kids don't want to come home to the same kids each day, makes it more interesting for them.

HomefromHome
13-05-2009, 11:03 AM
i had part timers for 2 yrs before i got full timers!!!! i have 2 under 5 spaces. you need to take whatever you can really - things have a tendancy to figure themselves out in the long run.:)

Jen4Kids
13-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Ive got 2 under 5 spaces as my dd is 3yrs and so far ive got one mindee 8-3 twice a week and one mindee 8-5.30 twice a week. They each do a different day so ill be working monday-thursday. Id love a full timer to fill the other space but equally i like having different children on different days :thumbsup:

CCJD
13-05-2009, 11:59 AM
I have always had full timers but not necessarily by design - they are just what came up at the right time. As mentioned, the biggest problem with full timers, is that if one goes, that's a huge chunk of your income gone and some restless nights until you fill the space.
It seems that many mothers are opting for part time work and therefore you can normally jigsaw together your spaces. I would imagine that part time spaces also keeps it interesting as it breaks up your week - only downside I guess is extra EYFS paperwork - I would still probably do a similar level of observations etc even though they werent with me as long as a full timer!!!

Daftbat
13-05-2009, 12:31 PM
I have always had a mixture - have taken on what comes along. I think though its good to have that mixture as no two days tend to be the same.

I haven't had anyone reduce their hours particularly. One of my b&a schoolers isn't coming after school this week as dad is working shorter days this week but he is self employed anyway and probably not down to anything particular.

Andrea08
13-05-2009, 12:35 PM
All my mindees are part time, so my eggs aren't all in the same basket.

where as i had x2 sisters so when they moved away i had none :(

goes to show sometimes we have to take what comes along any chid would be good for me at the mo x x

Polka Dots
13-05-2009, 07:51 PM
Thanks for your answers. I've arranged for the family to visit over the weekend. :)

Nix
13-05-2009, 07:57 PM
I have always had a mixture - have taken on what comes along. I think though its good to have that mixture as no two days tend to be the same.

That's like me...I've found that then if the part timers want to increase their hours they can!

Good luck with finding yours!:D

jeanybeany
13-05-2009, 08:19 PM
:laughing: Hard to answer really.

I took on a part timer 3 days a week when I first started, they then dropped to two days and for the year they were with me I never filled the other days and not through lack of trying :( .

Now, I have got two full timers as one of my children started f't school last sept. One is leaving in a couple of weeks and was worried about filling space, been advertising for ages. Had a couple of people visit, but they either wanted space now or didn't know what they were doing!

I was holding out for a full timer, but then got an enquiry for three days and decided to except. Figured it was best to lose two days money than five :laughing:

Well I decided not to advertise the other two days and to see what happens.
Was thinking about a little rest :blush: well next morning had an enquiry for two days and signed contacts today. I upped my rates for p/t so now will earn more from the part time places than a full timer.

Just shows you things can work out in the end just go with your first instinct.