PDA

View Full Version : OFSTED/CSSIW

casey's mum
11-02-2008, 09:00 PM
Can anyone tell me if there are differences in OFSTED and CSSIW where inspections/registration are concerned as unless I am very confused I have on a number of occasions thought there is???

Angela

deeb66
11-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Yes there is quite a big difference.

maybe one of the people to give you the best advice is Amanda (Manjay)

Hopefully she will see this thread.

casey's mum
11-02-2008, 09:22 PM
thanks deeb66, thought it was just me!

This being so is it fair??

Angelaxx

deeb66
11-02-2008, 09:29 PM
If I am honest....I don't really know the ins and outs of how everything is done in Wales.

Amanda will have more idea about comparissons and how things differ as she has been on this forum the same length of time I have and has a really good idea of how Ofsted do things.

She is from Wales and has been registered for just over 3 months so obviously knows that side of things too

Hope you don't mind me putting you forward to answer this one Amanda? :D :D

casey's mum
11-02-2008, 09:49 PM
If I am honest....I don't really know the ins and outs of how everything is done in Wales.

Amanda will have more idea about comparissons and how things differ as she has been on this forum the same length of time I have and has a really good idea of how Ofsted do things.

She is from Wales and has been registered for just over 3 months so obviously knows that side of things too

Hope you don't mind me putting you forward to answer this one Amanda? :D :D

No worries, thanks

Angela xx

manjay
11-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Oh dear, not sure I am really qualified to answer this!! maybe Tulip who has been registered in England and who is now registering in Wales will be able to give a better comparison.

From my point of view it seemed to take an awful long time to get registered as I had to attend and pass my ICP and include all my policies with my application form. We have 21 standards whereas OFSted have 14 and personally I think in Wales as we are registered with care and Social Services there is less of an emphasis on educational stuff like BTTM (EYFS in the future). Not sure if it is the same all over Wales but I will keep the same inspector and she has been a massive help to me. She did an unannounced visit last week and it was no hassle at all.

Sorry I can't think of anything else! Have to go to bed now and get ready for my first full day minding tomorrow!!!:eek:

amanda xx

sarah707
11-02-2008, 10:43 PM
Good luck tomorrow Amanda! :D

tulip0803
12-02-2008, 12:33 AM
Hi

As Amanda said we come under Care and Social Standards In Wales which means we are still the under the equivilant of Social Services, along with nurseries, care and nursing homes. ESTYN is the Welsh equivilant of OFSTED and as far as I am aware there are no plans to move childminders & nurseries out of the care and into the Education depts, as in England. We have more standards and less compulsory policies. We do not have a grading system and are inspected every 2 years.

We have to complete the ICP and have all our paperwork in place before we submit our applications. Then when they have had replies to references and the CRB check they then arrange to inspect.

Wales do not use BTTM (I was told it's an English document) and the EYFS will not apply. The Welsh Assembly Gov like to do their own thing and are introducing the Foundation Phase for 3-7 years. There are no plans at the moment to have a curriculum for any younger. The FP is different from the EYFS as there is no emphasis on "testing" and passing goals they have decided to follow the European systems where the children start formal learning at 7 years. The compulsory school age will still be 5 but infant classes are run along learning through play lines.

Hope that helps

JuliaXX

deeb66
12-02-2008, 08:36 AM
Thanks very much for that Julia

I knew it was different in Wales but just didn't know exactly what the differences were..

I think you have now become our technical expert on this subject ........thanks :laughing:

casey's mum
12-02-2008, 09:45 AM
Thanks Julia that has cleared that up.

Amanda, I think you are so lucky with your inspector. Either that or the minders in my area are unfortunate! lol I am soooo jealous!!

Angela xx

tulip0803
12-02-2008, 09:49 AM
Thanks very much for that Julia

I knew it was different in Wales but just didn't know exactly what the differences were..

I think you have now become our technical expert on this subject ........thanks :laughing:

:blush: :blush: I think it helps having seen both sides. I reg in Essex in Spring 2001 so was undersocial services until OFSTED took over in the Sept. Wales is more like Social Services than OFSTED. The only problem with Wales is if I had moved somewhere else in England I would not have needed to reapply. Moving to Wales has meant having to go through everything again. They even spoke about making me do the ICP again which was a bit pointless as I have the CCP.

Julia xx:blush:

tulip0803
12-02-2008, 11:07 AM
Oh and I forgot to say there is a slight difference in registrations:-
6 under 8's, of which no more than 3 under 5, of which no more than 2 under 18 months.

So it easier to care for 2 babies as it is already on the registration documents.

Juliaxx

casey's mum
12-02-2008, 02:08 PM
Soz I am sorry to keep on but I have learned more from you lot in the last 24 hours than from anyone else in the last 2 years lol.

I have a 6 year old who I only have a couple of times a week after school for 1 hour and 45 mins. Her Dad would love me to have her everyday rather than having to ask family for the 2 days that I don't. On the 2 days that I dont I have 2 x 2 year olds and a 4 year old. Could I have her on those 2 days also then as she is in full time school? I know it prob a silly question but thought I would check.

Angela xx

deeb66
12-02-2008, 02:11 PM
As long as you don't exceed the amount of children on your registration certificate then yes.

casey's mum
12-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Thanks Dee will have to double check it!

Angela xx

notjusttamum
13-03-2008, 06:39 PM
Ermmmmmmmmm does anyone know if i have to re- train when i move out of ales to Shropshire ?

Wondering how much time to allow before I can hope to get up and running again. (Once house is sold of course)

ALSO what is the legal age a child can be left 'home alone' during holidays ( I have a parent wanting to save money even tho WFTC covers it)

tulip0803
13-03-2008, 06:52 PM
I moved from England to Wales and have had to re-apply. I haven't had to do the ICP as I have done it and the DCP & ECP. I have had to fill all the forms and have a new CRB check despite working with children and having a very recent one. I had to attend a briefing session and on training session on standards, I started in Oct and am still waiting to be inspected but it looks like OFSTED will inspect you whilst process is going through not wait until everything is back like CSSIW.

Best thing is to ring CIS or OFSTED where you are moving to and ask what they would do. They get the ball rolling with application/ CRB whilst you are moving.

There is no legal age that you can leave a child alone at home :eek: as long as you ensure that they have access to food and water - BUT if anything happens the parent can be charged with neglect, abandonment and child endangerment. Came from Dyfed Powys Police on Child Protection Course.

notjusttamum
13-03-2008, 07:12 PM
Diolch yn fawr

cheers for that, sort of got the ball rolling and spoke to the person who would prob be my mentor there. Seems to be far more resources and support across the border.

Where did you move from ?

notjusttamum
13-03-2008, 07:18 PM
i returned to childminding after working in College, and I am sure I re-applied and didnt get cleared unitl April of following yr..... afraid it sounds like the same case with you..

It maybe worth you giving the a ring to see if they have lost yr file or are waiting for some silly bit of paperwork and not told you :panic:
Why not start advertising (word of mounth) ready for lift off.

everyone is finding it hard to fill all vacanices in Pembs. dont know what its like with you?

tulip0803
14-03-2008, 05:38 PM
Dim problem. Glad that you have made contact. Where are you thinking of moving to in Shropshire. I like it there.

I moved from Essex. I haven't had my CRB back so I am assuming they are waiting for that. I am going to give them a ring after Easter if I haven't heard anything. I am having a massive clear-up operation on the house and garden and a skip will be here.

I have a waiting list. I live about 14 miles north of Carmarthen and there are no nurseries, after-school clubs up here and only 2 childminders locally and they are full and passing numbers on to me - I am saying I will ring you back when I am registered and see if you need me still.

One of the childminders was inspected the other week and kept asking when I would get registered but she just said that there were 50 registering in SW Wales at the moment.