PDA

View Full Version : How contageous?

Buzz Lightyear
12-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Yesterday, I took mindee and DD to the park. I noticed two children playing who were absolutely covered with spots, obviously chicken pox. Mindee went over to play on the roundabout (where the children were) and so I went over and asked the children about their spots. They told me there were indeed chicked pox but the eldest boy said his weren't contageous anymore but his sisters were. So I asked why she was out and should be inside. Boy said, "Mum said we were allowed because she was bored" (little girl - not mum). So I quickly moved mindee and DD away from them. Mindee says already had CP but DD hasn't. I came home last night imagining spots appearing on her but think it was more of a heat rash from her nap. So how contageous are pox. Is DD likely to get them now?

They are definitely doing the round around my village as I know a few kiddies who have CP at the moment. Just dreading my DD getting them but guess the sooner she has them, the better although Hubster doesn't see it that way.

rickysmiths
12-05-2009, 05:32 PM
It is a virus and it is prob fair to say there is a 50/50 chance that your dd may or may not get it.

To be honest when my two were little the first one in the group to get chiken pox held a party and invited us all round!! :jump for joy: My view was the younger the better and get it over and done with before school!! Though my dh did agree.

Kelly
12-05-2009, 05:33 PM
I am sure they are there most contageous 2 days before the rash even appears. They are contageous until the blisters have crusted over. Personally if my child hadn't had them, and I knew of a child who had them I would expose them!!! much better to get it when they're young:laughing:

littlesprogs
12-05-2009, 05:37 PM
I agree with everyone else its better to have them younger before school.

My little cousin had them and i meant to take Jayden round but didnt get round to it and wish i had now i'd rather him have them now than when he starts nursery/school.

LOOPYLISA
12-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Id defanatly say she is better getting them now rather than later, i was 15, not nice at all :panic: , dd had them but not that bad, and you can get them more than once :thumbsup:

haribo
12-05-2009, 06:17 PM
i had a mindee monday told her mum she had spots and thought were cp, sure enough mum just rang and told me they cp. so child not coming till at least monday. im half expecting to be rang by dad of other lo to be told she has them , theyre always hugging lol . had day off today too and meant to catch up with files but was too nice so was out in garden all day . sounds awful i know but would be a good time for me to have a couple of days off :blush: I do think its better to get when young my brother had them in his twenties and he was very ill .:panic:

tinkerbelle
12-05-2009, 06:27 PM
weve had them for the past 4 weeks one little boy got them from school really bad had 2 weeks off he came back and his brother got them the next day as well as 3 other children so they had 1-2 weeks off its our first full week this week for a month
my understanding is 10-20 days incubation before spots and till spots are all scabbed over and dried

Hebs
12-05-2009, 06:35 PM
my understanding is 10-20 days incubation before spots and till spots are all scabbed over and dried

yep thats right, so you won't know for around 2 weeks anyway Ellie

it is better to get them when they are little :thumbsup:

Saranotts
12-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Definitely better to get them whilst she is young. I had them in my 30's whilst 7 months pregnant and it was no fun.

Sara

Blaze
12-05-2009, 07:59 PM
\Definately better to have them young...but it can be dangerous for babies under a year as they are far more likely to develop complications, as are adults (had them in my twenties & it was horrendous)!

jibberjitz
12-05-2009, 08:09 PM
My DD's had direct contact with kids with chicken pox quite a few times and when they did both come down with it (DD1 was 3, DD2 was 7 months) I wasn't aware they had been in contact with it. I have to say I'm glad they both got it over with together and DD2 never batted an eye lid with it :)

sarah707
12-05-2009, 08:28 PM
Both my little mindees have had them in the last 2 weeks. I took them to the park etc because they were healthy. They are at their most contagious before the spots come out! :D

Absolutely the best time to get them when you're little - I was in my teens and it wasn't nice.

miffy
12-05-2009, 09:06 PM
Absolutely the best time to get them when you're little

I'd agree with that - one of my mindees had it at 11 and was really poorly - spots in all the places you wouldn't want them!

Miffy xx

Buzz Lightyear
12-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Maybe I should hunt down the children and go and rub DD against them :laughing:

uf353432
12-05-2009, 09:34 PM
as far as the encounter at the park is concerned - you are unlikely to catch them unless you have had direct contact with the spots - so likely she will be ok this time round!

ORKSIE
12-05-2009, 09:35 PM
Get it out of the way while they young, I caught it off my son I was very ill!

claireLouise
12-05-2009, 09:48 PM
My mum exposed me to every friend and siblings of friends I even slept with my brother when he got chicken pox and to this day I still have not had them!

When I was pregant with No 2, No1 got them and my husband got shingles, until we got the results back that I was immune they had to go live with my husband's mum!

Claire

ORKSIE
12-05-2009, 09:49 PM
Apparently there used to be Chicken Pox parties:eek: :laughing:

Cazz
12-05-2009, 10:09 PM
My twins had chickenpox when they were 3 and apart from the spots you wouldn't have really known they were ill, so as everyone says it is better for them to get it younger. My daughter came out with the spots first and exactly 2 weeks later my son came out with them.

Just got Megan to go now!

Hopefully your daughter won't be too poorly either if she does get it.

Carole x