PDA

View Full Version : No concept of time

Daddy Day Care
12-05-2009, 04:34 PM
Hi My daughter is 4 years old, shes 5 in december and will be starting school in september.

Everything with her is going to happen tomorrow, or happend yesterday, things that happend last summer she still tlaks to people about as yesterday, and whenever she gets a party invite or we have anytihng planned its always tomorrow its happening.

Tried talking about this on so many different occasions, shes good with numbers and can read them.

Just looking for any advice/ideas on how we can deal with this.

Gareth
xx

amirose
12-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Hi Gareth,

As far as I amaware this is perfectly normal! I have a 6 year old mindee who is exactly the same. I have talked about the different months of the year with her and how they run in a pattern (well that how I explained it to her) and that the pattern starts again at January. I haven't made much progress with her so will be interested to see others suggestions.

LittleMissSparkles
12-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Hey my little girl is exactly the same Gareth, she was 4 on the 1st April and also starts school in september, she always thins something is tommorow or recollects thing as if they were yesterday, we go to turkey in july and she thinks its tommorow we are going every day iyswim ! she can tell you about when we were there last year like it was yesterday on the spur of the moment she just comes out with random things she tells you about, try not worry everything changes when they get to school :D xxx

ORKSIE
12-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Sounds perfectly normal to me.
I have a 4 1/2 yo mindee who does exactly the same.
Children at this age have no concept of time.
So dont worry:thumbsup:

sarah707
12-05-2009, 04:52 PM
Normal here as well!

They don't start to fully grasp it until possibly reception class, middle term and for many even later.

It's not about intelligence, it doesn't matter how much she can read, it's just a concept that clicks :D

Daddy Day Care
12-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Ok tyvm ladies

GAreth
xx

Hebs
12-05-2009, 05:03 PM
:laughing: :laughing:

my son only lernt to tell the time last year (thanks to his teacher :rolleyes: ) now i can't send him to bed early and lie about the time :p

they do "get it" eventually but i'm sure it's not actually taught until year 1

xx

estrelas
12-05-2009, 05:08 PM
My daughters the same and shes in reception

Shes getting there slowly tho:laughing:

huggableshelly
12-05-2009, 05:11 PM
yup yup pretty normal here too my son still hasnt quite got the idea, he knows weeks by saying last week we went on holiday but cant get past weeks to use months or years yet

Toothfairy
12-05-2009, 06:15 PM
My DD(6) goes by how many sleeps there are before an event, ie: 3 more sleeps untill my Birthday etc.

Hebs
12-05-2009, 06:17 PM
My DD(6) goes by how many sleeps there are before an event, ie: 3 more sleeps untill my Birthday etc.

i still do that :laughing:

LOOPYLISA
12-05-2009, 06:38 PM
My hubby has this hes in his 40's :laughing: :laughing:

tulip0803
12-05-2009, 06:45 PM
My DD2 is 5 1/2 and she has only just got over the yesterday/today/tomorrow phase - we now do how many sleeps for the future(difficult when you are talking about a holiday at the end of August:rolleyes: :D ) and she can grasp last week as well as yesterday - any more than that is now "before":thumbsup:

breezy
12-05-2009, 06:51 PM
mindee is 6 and shes only just grasping this, we use the "so many sleeps" idea too, it seems to help them!

Daddy Day Care
12-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Thank you all feeling much better about it now, I have tried the so many sleeps thing and for a few minutes it seems to work, then 15 minutes later its back to tomorrow, but ill keep up with it she'll get there in the end :)

Gareth
xx

Lady Haha
12-05-2009, 09:19 PM
One of my mindees says things are happening 'later' all the time. He's going on holiday in July and told me he was going on holiday 'later' when he got dropped off in the morning. Sounds so funny.

I laughed at the post above about lying to your kids about the time so you can send them to bed early! I do that, aren't we evil!!!:laughing: I tell him it's nearly midnight so he thinks he's got to stay up REALLY late when really it's only 8pm:D

Pipsqueak
12-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Children really don't have concept of time - events are measured in enjoyment, excitement and memorable experiences. Its a shame we loose it.
We use the how many sleeps method. James keeps going on about his birthday (apparently its 'next week' bit like tomorrow never comes - actually its December but hey!) and what he is getting.
Middle child has no concept of time either - everything happens in the world according to H when he decides its time and he is 8:eek: