PDA

View Full Version : school playground help,please :)

mammumof4
12-05-2009, 02:59 PM
hi all, i have a question.
Im not registered yet but im trying to get a picture of how my days will be when i am:blush: :blush: , i have 2 sons aged almost 7 and 3 who love to run around in the school playground and grass area when i collect them from school and nursery, normally they are well behaved but sometimes i have to shout them over when its time to go,run after younger one! :panic:
how will i cope with this if i have other children of the same ages, do you allow minded children to run around in crouded playgrounds? im thinking nooo but how do i tell my own kids they cant do this anymore,i cant allow my own kids to run around and not minded kids,can i? and also my almost 7 year old runs home with his friend,waiting every now and then for me and his friends mum,at the corner,near a lamppost and obviously the road,does he have to walk near me with the other minded kids when im registered?

Zoomie
12-05-2009, 03:06 PM
I'll be interested to know the answer to this too

huggableshelly
12-05-2009, 03:07 PM
risk assess........

if you think it is safe to let the children let off steam then great if not then time to change some rules ....

i keep all children close to me during school pickups as i pick up from several classes but once i have them all in my care they run across the playground and know they must not go out of the gate.

when walking home everyone must walk together in a group ..... well this is my rule due to so many roads ....

again risk assess make your decissions in the best interest of the children if it is safe to let them go on ahead a short way then that to me is fine. my after schoolers range from 5 - 11 years, the 11 year old walks ahead with his friend keeping me insight but all of the others stay close and are not allowed to run ahead.

the aim is to not spoil your own childrens fun and routines for the minded children let the minded children fit into your routine and lifestyle not the other way round (yes easier said than done)

Mouse
12-05-2009, 03:18 PM
You get to know which mindees you can let run off & which you can't. Also, your own children get to know when they can run off & when they have to stay with you because of younger mindees.

With your own children it's a balancing act. They have to accept that as this is now your job, they can't always do what they did before. They need to know that you are working & that certain things may be different. But you make up for it when you're not working & they can have their freedom back!

berkschick
12-05-2009, 03:28 PM
All my mindees stay with me in the playground. There is a climbing frame which they are allowed to use to adult supervision, I do not allow them to use it as 2 children recently fell and broke their arms, one of them was a fellow minders mindee. The same rules apply to my kids.

Walking to and from school they all have to walk with me until we get to the cycle path and then they can run on ahead slightly. There are 2 ways to my house from the path and sometimes Lewis will run off down one while we use the other one but he is 8 and my own child, the others have to stay with me.

I find making them all carry their own bags slows them down a lot ;)

haribo
12-05-2009, 03:44 PM
my kids are grown up now so dont have that problem but wen they were younger i used to try and get them to help by making them feel "in charge" so if i said stay close to me in the playground they felt all grown up by sheperding the mindees to me and saying "now stay by liz " lol i didnt let them boss them of course just made them feel important by stressing the need to keep the mindees safe and that i needed their help. didnt work all the time of course and it may have helped that theyre both girls and not as inclined maybe to dash around the playground as boys but i think they soon accept youre doing a job and they have to " help" a bit . as someone said too though you soon know which kids are safe to let have a run around and which ones disappear and give you heart attacks until you feel like tying them to your buggy the minute they come out of school :panic: :panic: !!