PDA

View Full Version : Green Fingers? ...

Doll123
12-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Hey all really want to do some planting with the children but have no area in the garden and don't know the first thing about gardening. So was thinking of getting a Planter and/or maybe a mini 4 tier greenhouse. But was wondering what i could plant in them? Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks
Katie xxx

melanieabigail2004
12-05-2009, 02:27 PM
Nastursiums are good fun as they grow quick. Flowers can be used in salads but beware they are quite hot.

We grow quite a few herbs and also have cucumbers, beans, tomatos and pumpkins for halloween going at the moment.

Mel

Pedagog
12-05-2009, 02:37 PM
i have a raised bed with various vegetables that mindees and my children have helped to plant, also a mini green house, and then planters with strawberries, and herbs in.

You can buy some veg that are breed to be "patio" veg that are perfect for planter growing.

Tatjana
12-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Salad leaves seem to be the easiest and quickest to grow that i've ever planted!:thumbsup:

Daftbat
12-05-2009, 02:42 PM
I have just planted some things with my mindees and decided to do it in small terracotta pots on the windowsill as anything i put in the garden will probably be dug up by the dog!

We have planted beans and tomatoes so far and tomorrow i plan to do cress in old eggshells. This grows really fast so the kids can see something really quickly.

We also have some beetroot seeds, lettuce and raddish.

We painted the posts first too with their names and other designs - plan to send them home with the children when plants are established.

Mouse
12-05-2009, 03:12 PM
I stick to cress as even I can manage that without killing it off :laughing:

Actually, we've just done rocket in tubs (really quick & easy) and always do strawberrys, beans & tomatoes (all in tubs).

Sleeping Baby
12-05-2009, 03:21 PM
How about peas, they grow quickly you get flowers and then pods and the children love opening up the pods and counting and then eating the peas. You can put this into a plastic put with some canes for them to climb up.

Toothfairy
12-05-2009, 04:02 PM
My garden is completely paved, but for the last 2 years I have grown veg in pots and hanging baskets.

I,ve grown;

Strawberrys
Runner beans
Green beans
Cucumbers
Tomatoes
Peppers
Purple sprouting brocholi
Lettuce
Spring onions
Potatoes
Herbs

I bought a great book called 'Crops in Pots', it had some great ideas in it. :thumbsup:

manjay
12-05-2009, 04:15 PM
My garden is completely paved, but for the last 2 years I have grown veg in pots and hanging baskets.

I,ve grown;

Strawberrys
Runner beans
Green beans
Cucumbers
Tomatoes
Peppers
Purple sprouting brocholi
Lettuce
Spring onions
Potatoes
Herbs

I bought a great book called 'Crops in Pots', it had some great ideas in it. :thumbsup:

I have all of these on the go at the moment plus courgettes, aubergines, baby sweet corn, beetroot, radish, pak choi!! I am sure there is more. I have always done things in pots and a plastic greenhouse but it's a bit windy where we live so it often blew away. I have treated myself to a full size greenouse this year and the children love it. Sunflowers are also good as they spout really quickly and the children love measuring to see how tall they have grown. Another one I tried for the first time last year was micro tomatoes. They grow lovely on a windowsill and produce the dinkiest tomatoes you have ever seen

Good luck

amanda xx

LOOPYLISA
12-05-2009, 05:25 PM
I have all of these on the go at the moment plus courgettes, aubergines, baby sweet corn, beetroot, radish, pak choi!! I am sure there is more. I have always done things in pots and a plastic greenhouse but it's a bit windy where we live so it often blew away. I have treated myself to a full size greenouse this year and the children love it. Sunflowers are also good as they spout really quickly and the children love measuring to see how tall they have grown. Another one I tried for the first time last year was micro tomatoes. They grow lovely on a windowsill and produce the dinkiest tomatoes you have ever seen

Good luck

amanda xx

All ive done all day is chase my greenhouse round the garden :D

Angela234
12-05-2009, 05:32 PM
How do your plants servive slugs i had to put a second lot of green beand slugs had the first lot i won't put pellets down because of the children
Our sweet peas are ok

estrelas
12-05-2009, 05:36 PM
sunflowers, welleasy,

i done them so anyone can, i have no proper garden as front is concrete, so we made them there in pots,watched them grow inthe kitchen,then they went home after a few weeks, to be planted at home ( working in partnership lol)
the kids need to bring pictures back of themgrowing in their gardens.

jibberjitz
12-05-2009, 08:26 PM
I've got some big pots and are growing cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, peas, beans ans sunflowers :)

Toothfairy
13-05-2009, 04:24 PM
To stop the slugs getting to my plants, I smear the rim of the pots with Vasaline.
I've also got a slug pot which I fill with beer. The slugs fall in, get drunk and then drown. I put it out every night and bring it back in during the day so the Kids don't touch it.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

Daddy Day Care
13-05-2009, 05:05 PM
To stop the slugs getting to my plants, I smear the rim of the pots with Vasaline.
I've also got a slug pot which I fill with beer. The slugs fall in, get drunk and then drown. I put it out every night and bring it back in during the day so the Kids don't touch it.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

:panic: :panic: Such a waste of beer :panic: :panic:

Toothfairy
13-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Thats what my hubby says :ROFL1:

Mummits
13-05-2009, 06:09 PM
Sharp gravel or stone chips round the bottom of pots puts off slugs and saves beer.:)

grindal
13-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Hi
What about some sprouting beans in jam jars inside? My 2 boys love watching these grow - I use mung benas from the supermarket.
Grindal