PDA

View Full Version : Just had a horrible incident and i'm still shaking

youarewhatyoueat
12-05-2009, 12:41 PM
We were just walking on a peice of grass near my house happily minding our own business when two ladys walking a dog were approaching, one of my mindees pointed at the dog and the dog raced over on one of those stretchy leads and barked at us, the children screamed , I hurridly picked them up to which this lady shouted at me that the dog is fine, I replied that we weren't to know that and the children are in my care but not my own to which she screamed at me you should be looking after them, and she stomped off.

The kids are fine they are only 14 months I hope it hasn't scared them for life, got to explain that at pick up. But I am close to tears, it really shook me up and my heart is pounding and i'm still shaking.
Sorry had to tell you all to try and make myself feel better.
It's ruined a perfect day.
Caroline

RainbowMum
12-05-2009, 12:44 PM
What a horrible woman -you were looking after the children - it was her dog that ran up to you! Record it & put it behind you. If you know any one with a nice calm dog might be an idea to introduce the children to it so they can see not all dogs are loud. Big hug for you xx

Andrea08
12-05-2009, 12:51 PM
What a horrible woman -you were looking after the children - it was her dog that ran up to you! Record it & put it behind you. If you know any one with a nice calm dog might be an idea to introduce the children to it so they can see not all dogs are loud. Big hug for you xx

well put just what i was going to say,, although i have a confession my little dogs bark sometimes esp at boys in huddies :panic: but i always say sorry and and let people stroke them to see they are only barking and not angry dogs

sorry this has happened to you try and enjoy the rest of your day

andrea xx

Blackhorse
12-05-2009, 12:56 PM
don't let her ruin your day!!!!!!!!
nothing happened to the kids apart from the freight. (which is bad enough but at least they did not get bitten!!)

Record it with a description of the dog and woman. If it happens again you could report her! People need to take care of their pets properly.
I love dogs and cats and all animals, but people need to take care of them properly and not let them intimidate other people in this way! That is wrong and not what a responsible dog owners should do.
At least if the dog barked at you she should have stopped and appologised and re-assured you and the kids nicely that the dog is ok and was just excitedly saying hello (or something like that to make the kids feel better)

I agree with others to introduce them to nice dogs as well!!

TheBTeam
12-05-2009, 12:58 PM
A similar thing happened to me with my own dd, a big chocolate labrador came up to her, the lady said oh don't worry the dog is fine, but i was shaking and yelled 'yes but my daughter isn't, if she ran up and scared the life out of your dog, what would you say!' She was then very apologetic, and said she saw my point. The next day we worked together to get the two gently introduced but it took a bit of time but it was important as we see her most days!!

I was left shaken tho, and it wasn't even to a mindee where i would have had to explain away any injury - some people think their dogs have more right than people!

jellytot
12-05-2009, 01:18 PM
hope you are feeling a bit calmer now, it is awful when something like this happens :group hug:

HomefromHome
12-05-2009, 01:23 PM
those extending leads are a nightmare - they should not be used if your walking on paths.
i agree wi the others - find a nice friendly dog so the children learn that not all dogs are bad.
i know its horrible to say this, but at least the kids will learn not to go up to any dog, something i teach my dd and mindees. we have dogs but i always tell them not to touch or go near ones we dont know.
put it down to experience.:)

Ripeberry
12-05-2009, 01:27 PM
I'm not a dog person and i think that lots of people see their dogs as their "children" so if you even look at their dog wrong they see it as an attack on their "darling".
I just can't get over the news either of the parents jumping into the water to rescue their dog(s) and leaving their baby behind.
Just a total waste :(

FussyElmo
12-05-2009, 01:31 PM
It winds me some dog owners. Their dog comes bounding at the children and you hear "its alright hes friendly":angry: Why dont some dog owners realise that some children and adults are scared of dogs!!!

Actually Im constantly having this argument with dh who is one of the above cretins:eek:

Mollymop
12-05-2009, 01:42 PM
Oh no, I hope the children and you are ok. The woman sounds very rude and horrid, I hope she realises how nasty and unreasonable she was to you.

I am a dog owner but I always keep my dog on a lead at the park. At the park we go to most owners let their dogs off to run around, all types of dogs. I have only had one occasion where a dog ran up to us , but was called straight back by it's owner, but I am worried one day that someone might get hurt by one of the dogs.

A man walks past us on the way to the school run most days, he used to walk his big german Shepard without a lead. Once it came bounding up to my dd (she was 3 at the time) and I pulled her out of it's way to shield her. The man said it was ok, he wouldn't hurt her. To which I said - Well I don't know that, you can't be too sure with kids around. He just smiled and nodded.
Ever since then he has his dog on a lead.

LisaH
12-05-2009, 01:44 PM
My 5yr old DS was bitten on his shoulder by a dog last week. He visibly shakes now everytime he sees one:angry: Prior to this he loved dogs!!

Shame on that dog owner, try not to let it spoil your day:)

Toothfairy
12-05-2009, 01:57 PM
Hope you are feeling a bit calmer now.
Don't let it spoil the reat of your day.
You did everything right.

katickles
12-05-2009, 02:21 PM
I must have read the opening line of your thread about 10 times - I thought you'd written glass not grass - I was thinking glass/incident:eek:

Sorry that this has happened, I would probably be shaken to. You acted right though to get them out of potential harms way, good on you x

Daftbat
12-05-2009, 02:49 PM
I know what you mean about people not being responsible about the effect their dogs can have on others. I have a black german Shepherd as you can see from the pitcure and i am always conscious about where and when to let him off lead or use the extending one especially as he can appear rather intimidating even though I know he is soppy!

We always walk with a fixed lead near roads, footpaths etc and are careful to assess when and where to let him off lead. We put him back on the lead if people approach with children and if there are horses around etc.

Its fair what people say - I know my dog but YOU don't and responsible owners should always bear other people in mind.

Pauline
12-05-2009, 03:19 PM
It winds me some dog owners. Their dog comes bounding at the children and you hear "its alright hes friendly":angry: Why dont some dog owners realise that some children and adults are scared of dogs!!!

Exactly what I was going to say. I hate it when people do that, I feel like screaming "I'm not bothered whether it's friendly or not, I DON'T WANT IT NEAR ME!!!"

It is the same when we are walking and people let their dogs off the lead and they end up walking with US, and people look at us as if we are letting 'our' dog do as it likes!

Sorry, don't get me started!! :rolleyes:

Make a note Caroline and try to put it behind you, perhaps do some activities with the children about dogs to reassure them :)

youarewhatyoueat
12-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Thanks everyone I've just about calmed down, just can't get over how nasty some people are, we were in the middle of a small field for goodness sake why did she think we wanted to see her dog. I love dogs but would never let them near anyone without first checking it was ok. I'm more angry that she shouted at me and said I should be looking after the children, where did that come from!!! I hate confrontation I shall just end up over analizing it for days and thinking of things I should have said.
Thanks again
Caroline

LittleMissSparkles
12-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Exactly what I was going to say. I hate it when people do that, I feel like screaming "I'm not bothered whether it's friendly or not, I DON'T WANT IT NEAR ME!!!"

It is the same when we are walking and people let their dogs off the lead and they end up walking with US, and people look at us as if we are letting 'our' dog do as it likes!

Sorry, don't get me started!! :rolleyes:

Make a note Caroline and try to put it behind you, perhaps do some activities with the children about dogs to reassure them :)

AMy is petrified of dogs and cats, rabbits .... is she sees a dog she goes scatty and cant be picked up quick enough xxx

Nix
12-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Sending hugs for you and your mindees...:D

ORKSIE
12-05-2009, 04:53 PM
Hope your are all ok now:group hug:

miffy
12-05-2009, 04:55 PM
Pleased you're feeling a bit better. Try and put it out of your mind now.

Hugs to you all

Miffy xx

georgie456
12-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Grrrr your post really struck a cord with me!!! :angry:

I always say loudly to the children when dogs approach us to come and stay close to me and am still staggered by the amount of people who look at me like I'm over-reacting!!!

I agree with what lots of people have said - the dog might be friendly but we don't know that, and even if they have the friendliest, soppiest dog in the world, a child might still be really scared of it!

Hope you are feeling a bit better now - what a horrible experience!

littletreasures
12-05-2009, 06:08 PM
I have 2 dogs who are very friendly, luckily they don't go up to anybody whilst in the park - too busy sniffing around.

I tell all my mindees that whilst mine are friendly, not all dogs are and if a dog comes up to them in the park, they must cross their arms and turn their backs on the dog. They are really good at doing that, including the 3 year old. Then if they want to say hello to the dog and stroke them they must always ask the owner.

I hate those long leads with a vengeance and think they are very dangerous, not only for other people, but for the dog as well. I can't believe this woman had a go at you about the behaviour of the children, when they weren't doing anything wrong.

Write it up in your incident book, with a description of this woman and try and put it behind you.

Hugs to you and the kids

angeldelight
12-05-2009, 06:36 PM
I am scared of dogs ( although we have one , a soft lab ) but still I am scared and never trust them

I hate it when I am in situations where the owner lets their dog come up to me and we would never let our dog do that to anyone least of all children

Hope you are all ok now

Angel xx

jibberjitz
12-05-2009, 08:28 PM
awww hun! The woman sounds awful too and I hope the children settled down afterwards