PDA

View Full Version : cheap days out in Stoke-on-Trent

julie w
12-05-2009, 11:56 AM
Hi, I know it's a long shot, as there are child minders all over the country, but does anyone know of any cheap activities or attractions in Stoke-on-Trent? I do all the usual in the holidays, eg; park, playgrounds, playschemes. But places like swimming, rumble tumble or the cinema can be so expensive. So if anyone has any ideas, or knows of any discount entry schemes, I'd be so grateful. I so wish I lived near the sea side!!!Thankyou, Julie.x.:idea:

nell57
12-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Hi Julie. I'm from Stoke too, there are quite a few others on the forum too.

Have you been to any of the Childrens Centres yet, they have some great activities and stay & play sessions, some are just for childminders and they carry on through holidays too.

Also my mindees love going to Hanley museum, which is great for me cus its free:D

Where abouts in Stoke are you, I'm in just outside Hanley

FussyElmo
12-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Hi Im from Stoke too whereabouts are you - Im fron Tunstall.

Agree that it can expensive in the holidays so I tend to limit the activities. However the cinema in newcastle last holidays had cheaper sessions in the morning if Im right £1.50 per person but its the older films you get to see!

Well there is Hanley park, Central forest park, Burslem park, Tunstall park, westport lake, Bathpool park, Kynpersley reservoir. Further out you have Rugyard, Tittensworth and Cannock Chase - all of these are free apart from the picnic and ice cream.

As well as Hanley museam, you have Ford Green Hall and Gladstone Museam.

If I go to soft play I tend to use Funsters.

Helen which Childrens Centre are you using I have heard so many horror stories that I havent been to one yet!!!

Another thought if you drive Congleton has a great park plus there is an outside paddling pool :)

nell57
12-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Hi Im from Stoke too whereabouts are you - Im fron Tunstall.

Agree that it can expensive in the holidays so I tend to limit the activities. However the cinema in newcastle last holidays had cheaper sessions in the morning if Im right £1.50 per person but its the older films you get to see!

Well there is Hanley park, Central forest park, Burslem park, Tunstall park, westport lake, Bathpool park, Kynpersley reservoir. Further out you have Rugyard, Tittensworth and Cannock Chase - all of these are free apart from the picnic and ice cream.

As well as Hanley museam, you have Ford Green Hall and Gladstone Museam.

If I go to soft play I tend to use Funsters.

Helen which Childrens Centre are you using I have heard so many horror stories that I havent been to one yet!!!

Another thought if you drive Congleton has a great park plus there is an outside paddling pool :)

I use a few different ones, will pm you:thumbsup:

julie w
12-05-2009, 08:54 PM
Thanks to you all. My biggest problem (which I should have mentioned) is that I dont drive! But if the sun is shining, it makes life a whole lot easier. I'm in Smallthorne by the way.x.

charleyfarley
12-05-2009, 09:07 PM
Hi Julie

I'm in Stoke too, Kingsley Holt (Cheadle), I'm glad you posted this cos I don't know many places here either. I tend to stick to the same places.

Could you let me know the children centres too please Helen that you go too as I don't mind driving to them. Thanks :thumbsup:

We should all arrange a meet up as there are a few of us, what do you think?? :clapping:

Carol xx

julie w
12-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Yes, great idea to meet up. Keep in touch.x.:)

FussyElmo
13-05-2009, 07:22 AM
Hi Julie

I'm in Stoke too, Kingsley Holt (Cheadle), I'm glad you posted this cos I don't know many places here either. I tend to stick to the same places.

Could you let me know the children centres too please Helen that you go too as I don't mind driving to them. Thanks :thumbsup:

We should all arrange a meet up as there are a few of us, what do you think?? :clapping:

Carol xx

That would be fab let me know in advance so I can get the chauffeur sorry dh to take us:)

nell57
13-05-2009, 10:33 AM
Thanks to you all. My biggest problem (which I should have mentioned) is that I dont drive! But if the sun is shining, it makes life a whole lot easier. I'm in Smallthorne by the way.x.

We share the same problem Julie as I dont drive neither, but use the Treehouse childrens centre at Bentilee mostly and use public transport. They have a brill soft play area for the LOs.

Could you make it there, you have to catch 2 buses to get there. It costs about £4 for the bus fare for an all day ticket, that is the cheapest way to do it, but they are very regular and easy enough to do. We could go together, cus we on same bus route.

I will sus out the days/times they are open and let you all know.

nell57
13-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Hi Julie

Carol xx

Yes we should definatly sort something now, Treehouse should be easy enough for you to find, its not too far from the City Zoo:D

Have you visited Forest park yet Carol?