PDA

View Full Version : not sure I can do my first enquiry - should I cancel?

mozarella
12-05-2009, 08:47 AM
My first phone enquiry called back, she sound like a lovely lady who will need 3 days a week childcare for her 2 year old and 4 year old. She is a single mum and told me it was really hard to find someone who has vacancies for her two.

I originally wanted only 1 child full time to get started and apply EYFS etc without being overwhlemed and aslo we need to buy a 7 seater so I can use the car and go to play groups etc ...

I stupidly said I was happy to meet her as she sounded so desperate but deep down I know I dont want 2 children all day to start with as I want to start slowly and I need to be able to go out and about.

Shoudl I ring her back and cancel and find a silly excuse. I know it sound like a silly question but I found it so hard to just say no on the phone

You probably think I am so silly

Moz

uf353432
12-05-2009, 09:14 AM
is the 4 yr old at preschool for part of the day? or starting school this sept?

mozarella
12-05-2009, 09:16 AM
she is starting school in september so it would be for 3 months and then school pick up for the eldest from september.

It is my first enquiry and I just want to make sure i will start well.

Andrea08
12-05-2009, 09:17 AM
You are a capable cm and we are ere to help you,
have the meeting with mum ask her what sort of routine the children are in,, find out as much information as possible and tell mum that you didnt want to take on 2 children so soon but will do a 2wk settling in period for both sides to see if the arrangement works,,

after 2 wks you will be asking yourself what you were ever worried about and if you get worried as i said we are ere for ya ok

no grab the bull by his,,,horns and go girl ;)

good luck :thumbsup:

Buzz Lightyear
12-05-2009, 10:02 AM
I too would have the meeting with the parent and just "see". You never know, it might be perfect for you. Once you've thought about it, you could tell Mum you had someone to see you the day before who wants you to start asap and therefore you cant take her children.

uf353432
12-05-2009, 10:15 AM
I do think you should have the meeting. At the very least its good practise for the one you do want if you are adement you won't do this one.

I really do understand the not wanting to take on too much. I was reg in April and am currently looking after 1 lad for 5 hours a week, its a nice introduction, gives me a chance to test my systems and make changes where appropriate. However I also have potentially another child starting to fill up the other 4 days of the week in June.

Having 2 siblings will be nice, they will play together as well as apart. The planning you are doing for one - 2 can enjoy just the same. Plus if finding suitable care has been this problematic for mum, she is more likely to stick with you for the long term.

I would go for it, you have to ask if you don't get this opportunity again- will you be kicking yourself?

You will know after the meeting with mum and kids if you want to do it or not - gut instinct is a powerful thing.

mozarella
12-05-2009, 10:46 AM
thank you for your advice, although I know I can look after them it is all the papers and planning etc involved that scares me and the logistics of starting with 2 children straigh away, buying the toys, car seats etc

But I should have the meeting and take it from there

SandCastles
12-05-2009, 10:56 AM
Some good advice here, good luck with what ever you decide. I started in February and am already at full capacity, the money is handy and the paperwork is not too much, this forum has helped me take everything in my stride. My house is the noisiest on the street and I love it.

The Juggler
12-05-2009, 12:54 PM
just that few months before the 4 year old starts school I am sure you will manage.

By sept you'll probably be wanting to replace him with another daytimer when he's off to school - bet you. I know what you mean about starting out though it's daunting. I started with a baby and his 5 year old brother and had two of my own. That was OK. How many of your own do you have at home?

Blue Boy
12-05-2009, 01:02 PM
I am sure whatever decision you make it will be the right one for both you and the children.

Love
Mick xx

huggableshelly
12-05-2009, 01:08 PM
i wouldnt cancel but if you still feel the same at the end of the meeting then go with your gut instinct.

remember your EYFS can be a scarpbook with links too , make it fun involve the mindees, my after schoolies love doing theit own books even the older ones have books too and fill with what they like, I just add to the EYFS books.

Ripeberry
12-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Go for it! Otherwise you might not get another chance like this again :thumbsup:

Tatjana
12-05-2009, 02:07 PM
Two children can be playmates with one you'll have to be the stand in play mate!

No harm in seeing her, it's good practice if nothing else.

xx

Demonjill
12-05-2009, 05:25 PM
Definitely go for it.:thumbsup:

You are underestimating yourself.

You will be fine. Everyone here will help as much as you need them too.(dont know if im much use though lol)

If you dont take this chance it may be a while before anything else comes along. So many people on here have been saying how quiet things are at the mo!:D

FizzysFriends
12-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Go for it, we will help you through.

jibberjitz
12-05-2009, 08:30 PM
I would still do meeting and then see how you feel as you might really be put at ease when you meet them - good luck and let us know how it goes :thumbsup:

Zoomie
13-05-2009, 10:21 AM
I have had the exact same type of scenario as you.

I have had enquiry for 4.5y and 2y.

I also just wanted to start with a pt child and work my way up.

Anyhow, I met my family today. They all came for a play today.

We had a great time, and mum will hopefully bring them again next week, but I am not 100% sure. I have 3 of my own children already, and it is going to need some serious planning in the holiday time.

Let us know what you decide in the end ?