PDA

View Full Version : OU E123 - anyone just starting?

loopylu
11-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Hi guys,

Is anyone just starting this course? I'm in 2nd week, and wondered if anyone wanted a buddy?

Let me know!

sarah707
11-02-2008, 07:21 PM
I'm about half way through! Just starting e124 :eek:

tma 1 is nice, 2 is like wading through treacle, 3 is ok... not done eca yet...:D

loopylu
11-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Hi Sarah,

I'm just trying to get my head round that big box of paperwork!!!, and knuckling down to actually studying.

My baby is due in September, so its gonna be quite a challenge to say the least, as my last TMA is due end of August, and the ECA early October!!

Hope I can get through it all as well as coping with pregnancy and new baby?!

sarah707
11-02-2008, 10:35 PM
It is a challenge... the best tip I got from a friend was to read the question first. That way you know what you are looking for when you are reading through the study topics and you can spot relevant quotes...

Saves a lot of time ploughing back through looking for stuff if you make relevant notes as you go along... oh and keep a note of where the references come from as you find them... or you'll lose them later! Study topic number / course reader chapter and page number every time!

Second best tip - don't do everything! Nobody is interested or is going to check. Do what is relevant and what you feel you need to do to get a full understanding of the course materials, but don't get bogged down in all the study topic bits or you'll never finish the thing!

Hope this helps :D

Nix
12-02-2008, 02:20 PM
Just had my bursary for funding approved so will be looking to start in October.

Let me know how you find it!

nat1664
12-02-2008, 03:00 PM
Im hoping to start in October too :)

Lincsminder
12-02-2008, 03:30 PM
I've just started too, I have my first tutorial on Sat. It seems ok so far.

Tatia
20-02-2008, 09:58 AM
Brilliant! I just started E123 and 124 in February, too!:clapping: I've finished my TMA01 for 123 and am just getting ready to start the one for 124.

Is anyone using the course forums?

sarah707
20-02-2008, 10:43 AM
Is anyone using the course forums?

I do not find them helpful at all - in fact I waste so much time trying to find information I might as well just get on with the tma and stop looking! :laughing:

Amanda
27-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Hi

Just registered on forum today. I completed both E123 and E124 last year. I really liked E123 and achieved 93% for my ECA!! (still can't believe it!). I did well in E124 as well but I didn't enjoy it as much.

If there's anything I can hlep with - just ask - I will do my best.

Best of luck
Amanda

Kelly
27-02-2008, 01:38 PM
Good for you Amanda, I also completed E123 and E124 last year, I have to say I enjoyed E124 more, have to be honest though was glad to finnish, doing both together was 'testing' are you doing E115? I am thinking about it, but worried about the amount of paperwork you need to do.

Kelly

Amanda
28-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Hi kelly

I'm half way through E115, two more essays to do for April then ECA in May.
There is a lot of paperwork involved. There are 12 EYCLO forms to complete along with the evidnece to go with them. They are marked just like your assignments but when it comes to the ECA each EYCLO form only counts for 1% of your total score.

I am part of an online group of childminders doing the course and the general consensus is we can't wait until the course is over. There isn't any new material in the course, it covers the same topics as E124. Having said that the time does seem to be flying by and I am getting good scores (due to putting lots of quotes!).

Unfortunately both E115 and E215 are a necessary evil if you want to complete the foundation degree or BA in Early Years.

If you liked E124 I would say you could manage it alright.

Amanda

Kelly
29-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Amanda

I am just not sure what I want to do next if you know what I mean, I am currently tutoring ICP courses and about to embark on my PTLLS course, so I can tutor the whole DHC. I am not sure what I would do with the foundation degree so am not sure if it is worth going on. What do you think? my current plan is after the PTLLS course I am planning to do the NVQ assessors course and hopefully I will get enough work from this to be able to take a back seat from childminding directly and be able to support childminders instead! Advice from anyone who is completing/finnished the foundation degree appreciated!!

Kelly

sarah707
29-02-2008, 03:57 PM
I am doing a level 4 now to update my level 7 and get myself back into learning mode... I don't want to stagnate.

I'm hoping it will give me flexibility in the future if I should want to go to work elsewhere, though not planning to do that for a good few years yet! I have recently made the decision not to take it to full degree because I know I do not perform at my best under exam conditions and you have to take compulsory units with OU which are exam based.

Not sure if this helps! :D

Kelly
29-02-2008, 04:09 PM
Thanks Sarah, I am struggling to see the benefits of doing a full degree, I have considered EYPS, but would need to go to college to re do GCSE maths and English, which I would prefer not to do. I think there are so many other teaching/support options out there the current plan should suit me. I really want to continue working in the childcare sector but just want to extend my options if you get my drift.

Kelly

Amanda
01-03-2008, 03:20 PM
Hi Sarah,

Like you, I know I'm not good at exams. So far the only course that requires an exam is the very last one for the degree. This is a new course which has only just been added. I'm hoping maybe they will add another one without the exam, otherwise I will stop at Foundation level for now. Was thinking I would really like to be a primary school teacher but I'm 36 this year so I don't know how realistic that is. Don't intend to push myself beyond my limits. I'm a Unit Leader for the local guides so with that, my own children, childminding and OU courses life can seem a bit too busy at times. No point getting a degree if family life suffers along the way!

Amanda