PDA

View Full Version : Apparently its not like real work!

cuffleygirl
11-05-2009, 04:56 PM
I have one parent who drives me to distraction! She is often very late to collect, regularly clock an additional 5 hours per week good going has I'm only meant to have her son before and after school until 4.30! but I often end up having him when she doesn't send him to his Dad's 'Mummy says I'll miss her!'

Anyway this evening half an hour late - she starts to chat about after school activities she feels guilty as he doesn't do any she works full time (she could take him to allsorts of clubs if she picked him up on time!)

"I work full-time, its alright for you 'cos your job is not like real work!":angry:

No, its not I start at 7.30am and finish at 6.30pm look after 4 little ones, 3 before and after schoolers and have 4 children of my own - but hey it's not like real work? welcome to my world!

venus89
11-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Course it isn't. We just play all day and drink coffee. :rolleyes:

Mouse
11-05-2009, 05:05 PM
You have to laugh, don't you! Some people just don't get it!

One of my parents is absolutely lovely - reliable, really appreciates what I do, tells me she couldn't do what I do etc

BUT, she's forever mentioning jobs that come up where she works (breast feeding councillor (sp?), caring for teenage mums, drug addict mums etc) and asking if I'd be interested & telling me she could see me doing it.

It's as if she doesn't think what I do now is a real job! I wonder what she thinks would happen with her children if I took her up on it :rolleyes:

Hebs
11-05-2009, 05:06 PM

and have our nails done

tinkerbelle
11-05-2009, 05:15 PM

well thats what i do :laughing: :laughing:

chance would be a fine thing somedays i dont even have time for a glass of water never mind boiling the kettle some parents do annoy me

Toothfairy
11-05-2009, 05:21 PM
:angry: :angry: :censored: :angry: :angry:

Daddy Day Care
11-05-2009, 05:25 PM
and have our nails done

oooohhh thats where im gonig wrong, I dont stop to get my nails done.

Alltho I've not started minding yet I'm always hearing negative comments like this about childminders. If only people knew all the courses and paperowrk that we had to do.

People really do believe that we just sit in front of tv all day letting the kids play on there own, it really annoys me already.

gareth
xx

emler
11-05-2009, 05:37 PM
:angry: :angry: :angry:

Tatjana
11-05-2009, 05:37 PM
*sigh* how dishheartening to hera such comments.:(

They clearly have no idea how much is involved 'behind the scenes'.:angry:

xx

sparkibobs
11-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Ooooh!!!!!!! Makes my blood boil!!!!!:angry: :angry:

I've 1 parent who is behind 3 weeks with payment (partly my fault for having such a nice nature and wanting to help him out whilst he was struggling), but once I made it clear if he wasn't upto date by end of May I would be charging my late payment fee, after stating he had a friend that would do it cheaper (not registered) Explained Tax Credits wouldn't pay somebody not registered and he soon upped his payments !! Not sure many childminders round here would do 5.30am starts for what I'm charging!!

Not a proper job indeed!!!
Take your pick:
Artists
Cooks
Cleaners
Admin
Book Keeper
First Aider
Outdoor Ranger (lol)
Anymore you can think of, brain fuzzy (early shift) lol:laughing:
x

Tatjana
11-05-2009, 05:40 PM
....nurse, mind reader, saint (patience), inventor....

sparkibobs
11-05-2009, 05:42 PM
This could start a whole new thread !!:laughing:
x

sue m
11-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Not real money either! Would she do it for what we get. Ask her to spend a whole day with you and watch what you do. :angry:

georgie456
11-05-2009, 05:47 PM
One of my mums always says I have an easy life in a jokey kind of way (but knws it really winds me up!). She did it a couple of weeks ago yet again, so when she collected, I had her child's learning journey, daily diary, all his obs, assessments and planning and my blank SEF form and risk assessments out on my table and casually pointed it out during a conversation.

A bit naughty of me to bombard her with a mountain of paperwork but...... needless to say she hasn't made the "joke" since!!!!

venus89
11-05-2009, 05:47 PM
:blush: I had no idea how much was involved until I started looking into it. :blush:

estrelas
11-05-2009, 05:51 PM
I used to run a coffee shop take 6 grand a week, work 6 days 8 +6, and i can honestly say i work harder now, i am totally knackered and haven't seen eastenders for weeks:eek: :eek:

I couldn't careless what other people say to be honest, i know how hard i work

Bananabrain
11-05-2009, 06:14 PM
Methinks you're going to get alot of replies to this one:laughing:

When you're doing 'real jobs' you actually get to eat something during the day.

I've got a mindee at the mo who spends all day biting,thumping and kicking the other children {and me} I'm lucky if I get a whole cup of tea 'cos I literally have to shadow him.

FizzysFriends
11-05-2009, 06:14 PM
My own family have this opinion of CMing too :mad:

cabby
11-05-2009, 06:18 PM
its soooo annoying!! i have one mum who keeps telling me how lucky i am to be able to stay at home all day!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry: :angry: :angry:

Pipsqueak
11-05-2009, 06:20 PM
Real job - whats a real job????:rolleyes:

Oh I know - where you go out to work.

lol

Alibali
11-05-2009, 06:23 PM
and have our nails done

Not to forget getting our hair done and our waxing!

ORKSIE
11-05-2009, 06:25 PM
Agony aunt to parents and kids:thumbsup:

FussyElmo
11-05-2009, 06:28 PM

So do mine as I got told by my sister-in-law I dont do a real job:angry:

sue
11-05-2009, 08:45 PM
:angry: would ask her to take a day off and shadow you for a day and evening when doing to p/work she might then eat her words really p*** me off when parents say this:angry: :angry: :angry: Calmed down now

Trouble
11-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Dont get me started:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: on this subject

LittleMissSparkles
11-05-2009, 09:11 PM
No, its not I start at 7.30am and finish at 6.30pm look after 4 little ones, 3 before and after schoolers and have 4 children of my own - but hey it's not like real work? welcome to my world!

I hope you said this to her :angry: politely of course :D

jibberjitz
11-05-2009, 09:15 PM
OMG some people have no idea what CM have to go through before even starting to mind never mind that actual childminding!!!!:eek:

Blackhorse
11-05-2009, 09:27 PM
ok here it goes.

IF it is not real work in the eyes of some parents, do please tell them to go and see the inland revenue to tell them to not ask cms to pay tax as surely only working people should be taxed...:ROFL1: :ROFL1:

seriously though, it really annoys me if people think that it is not a proper job!!!!!!!!:( :(

mummyof3
11-05-2009, 09:35 PM
My sis in law runs local playgroup (3hrs a day) so when I started childminding and finally became registered my mum in law announces I could go and work at the playgroup now and do a 'real' job :angry: :angry:

I think my job is a real job and her job is a babysitting job!! :p

Pedagog
11-05-2009, 09:49 PM
No I have to agree its not real work.

In no other job could you legally work these hours, for such a low wage.

I have worked non-stop since 7.30 am Thursday and its now 22.45 on Monday, except for the three hours this afternoon while little one was at Nursery, oh hang on I was sorting out his washing, his bottles, and sorting out toys, tidying up etc.

Heaven Scent
11-05-2009, 09:54 PM
I've not read all the replies cause I couldn't hold my tongue -

No its not like real work - Its a darn site harder and we put in tonnes more hours for very little pay - and on top of that we have tonnes of paperwork to do Not to mention dealing with awkward parents like her!!!!!!!!!

Roseolivia
12-05-2009, 06:54 AM
I have one parent who drives me to distraction! She is often very late to collect, regularly clock an additional 5 hours per week good going has I'm only meant to have her son before and after school until 4.30! but I often end up having him when she doesn't send him to his Dad's 'Mummy says I'll miss her!'

Anyway this evening half an hour late - she starts to chat about after school activities she feels guilty as he doesn't do any she works full time (she could take him to allsorts of clubs if she picked him up on time!)

"I work full-time, its alright for you 'cos your job is not like real work!":angry:

:censored: :censored: How annoying, hope you said something to her.

tammerisk
12-05-2009, 12:32 PM
and i think some one forgot to mention all the extra paper work and hours if you decide to do extra training just to make you look that bit better than a nursery or the grand parents when really all they want is someone to babysit for nothing not really caring who you are and how hard you work just to make ends meet and pay your bills or how hard you worked to achive the high standards expected of a nursery with loads of staff and you doing it all on your own and deal with ofsted coming in to inspect you and make you think everything you have done for the past ........years is all wrong and then when you do think you have it sorted the go and change it all again

The Juggler
12-05-2009, 12:48 PM

No, its not I start at 7.30am and finish at 6.30pm look after 4 little ones, 3 before and after schoolers and have 4 children of my own - but hey it's not like real work? welcome to my world![/QUOTE]

Then when they all go home you start your paperwork!

funtoplay
12-05-2009, 01:24 PM

I must admit i do go through alot of coffee!!! playing and drinking coffee...can you believe we get paid for it!!! best job in the world!!:jump for joy:

Julia

Blue Boy
13-05-2009, 03:39 PM
I sacked my employeer of 35years 2 years ago to work full time with Sally. I had a steady 9 to 5 job with 6 weeks paid anual leave, if I worked extra I could either claim overtime or time in lieu:clapping: Then for some reason I became a fulltime childminder. Now i still get up at the same time, start work at 7:30 or earlier and finish at 6 or later. Get 4 weeks leave, have to make sure that it is ok with the parents and try to arrange cover if needed. Think I should go back to a real job:panic:

Seriously, some parents do not live in the real world. They should wake up and smell the coffee. Without us they could not return to their REAL JOBS, earn the money they want and live how they want. To be honest childminding used to to be done by people who wanted to earn some pin money while they look after their on children. These days it is a lot different. We are highly qualified people who hold down a very real job.

I have ended my threads before by saying Male Childminders Rule, but on this occassion I have to say that all Childminders Rule. We deserve respect for the work we do and we get that from the majority of parents, its just a few who need training. If their children can learn with us so can they.

End of rant.

Mick

Bushpig
13-05-2009, 04:04 PM
I sacked my employeer of 35years 2 years ago to work full time with Sally. I had a steady 9 to 5 job with 6 weeks paid anual leave, if I worked extra I could either claim overtime or time in lieu:clapping: Then for some reason I became a fulltime childminder. Now i still get up at the same time, start work at 7:30 or earlier and finish at 6 or later. Get 4 weeks leave, have to make sure that it is ok with the parents and try to arrange cover if needed. Think I should go back to a real job:panic:

Seriously, some parents do not live in the real world. They should wake up and smell the coffee. Without us they could not return to their REAL JOBS, earn the money they want and live how they want. To be honest childminding used to to be done by people who wanted to earn some pin money while they look after their on children. These days it is a lot different. We are highly qualified people who hold down a very real job.

I have ended my threads before by saying Male Childminders Rule, but on this occassion I have to say that all Childminders Rule. We deserve respect for the work we do and we get that from the majority of parents, its just a few who need training. If their children can learn with us so can they.

End of rant.

Mick

Hear hear!!!

I know some of my friends in corporate positions think I took a HUGE step backward when I went from a highly paid demanding Senior Designer London role to a childminder... but I couldn't care less. I work very hard now - just as hard as I did at my old job - but am home more (I never used to see home much :( ) and working with kids is just the best and most rewarding job ever. If you take your childminding seriously and keep your paperwork and training and studying going.. the hours are massive. MASSIVE. And is SO a real job!!! My aching back and feet feel very real to me! :laughing:

But I wouldn't change it for the world :thumbsup:

gegele
13-05-2009, 04:13 PM
:laughing: :laughing: i don'tcare because i'm training fairies in my garden !!! 2 are on playing course, 1on cooking duties, still waiting on a few goblinsfor the cleaning, cinderella is sharing her fairie god mother for the school runs........... ah ah ah ah ah ah ah

AND I'M SURE NOBODY EVER SAID SUCH A THING TO MARY POPPINS AH AH AH AH AH AH

ooops too much caffeine!!!!

cuffleygirl
18-05-2009, 12:03 PM
The scary thing is she's right - because you get paid for 'real' work and she's forgotten to pay me! well forgotten her cheque book!

Yes I said I accepted cash as well! hopefully she will pay tonight!

One last moan she arrives this morning annoncing MIL will collect tomorrow at 5.15 (I am due to finish minding her son at 4.30) she told her MIL this was fine because she is always late too!
:eek:

Blackhorse
18-05-2009, 12:07 PM
The scary thing is she's right - because you get paid for 'real' work and she's forgotten to pay me! well forgotten her cheque book!

Yes I said I accepted cash as well! hopefully she will pay tonight!

One last moan she arrives this morning annoncing MIL will collect tomorrow at 5.15 (I am due to finish minding her son at 4.30) she told her MIL this was fine because she is always late too!
:eek:

I hope you are charging her REAL money for picking up late!!!!!!

mandy moo
18-05-2009, 12:08 PM
You have to laugh, don't you! Some people just don't get it!

One of my parents is absolutely lovely - reliable, really appreciates what I do, tells me she couldn't do what I do etc

BUT, she's forever mentioning jobs that come up where she works (breast feeding councillor (sp?), caring for teenage mums, drug addict mums etc) and asking if I'd be interested & telling me she could see me doing it.

It's as if she doesn't think what I do now is a real job! I wonder what she thinks would happen with her children if I took her up on it :rolleyes:

Prehaps you ought to mention that one day an see what she says!! :laughing:

louloudi
18-05-2009, 03:16 PM
this is just typical isn't it. Its just ignorance at the end of the day. I think societies attitudes towards any kind of care work especially childminding is seen as low value.

I think we should start a campaign to let joe puplic know exactly what we do and that we are on par with nurseries and schools!!!

I think the term 'Childminder' has a lot to do with it, it's so out of date now and perhaps seems unprofessional? .... I suggest we are all called 'Home Based Early Years Practitioners' and get the NCMA to do something about it :D

What do you think?

cuffleygirl
18-05-2009, 04:39 PM
I'm with you on that one!

I do actually love my job but I object to the lack of respect that some people have for it!

The mum has turned up tonight without cheque book (I'm not that surprised but very hacked off) she 'might' need me tomorrow as she doesn't think her little one will stay the night at his Dad's (he was excited about going when he came out of school today and somehow she always manages to get him to go when its convenient for her).

She said she'd text me if she needed me - I said I had used the opportunity to make a dentist appointment for my children - she huffs and says its not her fault if her lo won't go to his dad's!

Now I feel guilty and cross with myself for feeling guilty and thoroughly hacked off - large glass of something cold I think!

I know really I should get rid of her but I have a fantastic relationship with her son and have had since he was one, now 7 but I can't stick her anymore!

angeldelight
18-05-2009, 05:00 PM
It is annoying I know

I started a thread a bit similar last year - I bumped into an old friend she asked what I was doing then asked my daughter - my daughter works in a nursery this so called friend had the cheek to say to my daughter that I should get a proper job like her

Cheek

It makes my blood boil but I ignore people like this now they are not worth it

Angel xx

Daddy Day Care
18-05-2009, 05:10 PM
It is annoying I know

I started a thread a bit similar last year - I bumped into an old friend she asked what I was doing then asked my daughter - my daughter works in a nursery this so called friend had the cheek to say to my daughter that I should get a proper job like her

Cheek

It makes my blood boil but I ignore people like this now they are not worth it

Angel xx

your daughter works in a nursery? wow was only 30 mins ago you told me you were 21 :laughing:

Ally
18-05-2009, 10:47 PM

Don't you??? :laughing: Sorry I thought I didn't work! Well at least according to my children I don't! :)

My DH seems to think I have all the time in the world to make phone calls and deal with shopping etc! Oh well I'm not reeeaaalllyyy working!:angry: :D

Ally

michellethegooner
18-05-2009, 11:17 PM
Don't you??? :laughing: Sorry I thought I didn't work! Well at least according to my children I don't! :)

My DH seems to think I have all the time in the world to make phone calls and deal with shopping etc! Oh well I'm not reeeaaalllyyy working!:angry: :D

Ally

thats the one that gets me oh used to say things like 'are you going shopping today'? ermmm no I'm working, or can u put my cheque in the bank? ermm not really can barely get my own in..

or when my df rings up and thinks I can just drop everything to make go through a letter with him or something, which also involves me driving to pick him up :angry:

after a while and whenthey SEE just what I do they now say it is a very hard job, df has even said maybe I should get a different job as it would be easier lol

wouldnt change it for the world... well aprt from the paperwork side of course

helenlc
19-05-2009, 08:44 AM
I am on the PTA for my children's school. I have volunteered, with 3 others, to write to people, pop into shops etc to ask for donations for the grand prize draw.

At the last meeting, something was mentioned about people helping out for a cake sale during the school day. The lady in charge looked at me and said You cant do it, you're BABYSITTING!!!:angry: :angry:

Coming back to the asking for prizes, I have contacted and visited 30 companies in my OWN TIME to ask for prizes whereas the 3 others have done diddley squat!!!

I may be BABYSITTING but I have done a damn sight more than the others as well as worked a 45 hour week, done EYFS, accounts, plans, decorated my conservatory as well as the housework, packed my son off on his 5 day trip, sorted out my emails that were not coming through etc etc.

And yes, OH still sits there and says can you write this letter, can you call this person (which I cannot do as 3 yr old mindee becomes devil child as soon as I pick up the phone so no calls are made during the day at all!!!), run this to so and so etc.

Sorry just realised I got a bit carried away!!!:blush: :blush:

Bushpig
19-05-2009, 09:06 AM
My husband has seen how hard it is when he's been at home whilst the kids are here. I have 4 kids, the oldest being 3, so they're still dependent on me in so many ways, and I never get to sit down for a breather.

He called me the other day and could hear how distraught the child was who had an ear infection. I'd had the continual crying/screaming for 2 hours - as mum works far away so it took quite a while to get to me - dad was overseas.

Sometimes he gets home, the place is tidy but I haven't been able to do the dishes yet. He never says anything. I am grateful for this, as there are many days I don't even have time to have a sit down and eat lunch!

This morning a parent said to me 'oh, lucky for you I am fetching the kids half an hour earlier tonight'... I didn't say anything, but wish I had said 'well, that'll go toward the many early drop off days and late pick ups you've had over the last 2 years... with no charge...' :(

Andrea08
19-05-2009, 09:24 AM
:angry: my brother said this to me ,,,until one day he had to hang a door for me during my minding day...

1 risk ass as he had tools etc
2. keep children safe
3 cana hold or pass you anything as im working
4 no sorry no cup of coffee while lo is playing in kitchen
5 got to go school run
6 we are off to post a letter
7 lo's asking who are you what are you doing whats that?????
8 cooking, wiping,,nappies,, toilets,, faces hands,,
9 tidy toys
10 school run no2
11 more cooking
12 "CAN HE have a coffee yet" NOOOO
13 NEXT MEAL
as you know ladie and gents we could make a list a mile long

at the end of the day he watched me get the children ready to go home , talk to parent, tidy and clean up
AND THEN I PUT THE KETTLE ON

I couldnt do a job like yours for all the tea in china my brother said!!!

about time you understood i told him ,, he's not been back since during my working hrs lol :laughing:

Lady Haha
19-05-2009, 09:47 AM
I mentioned this in a similar thread a while back but I still find it funny so will say it again!

I was talking to one of my mindees who was upset that her mum had to work so much, trying 'to explain that mummy had to work or she wouldn't be able to go on holiday etc (telling them about bills etc goes over their head, it has to be something that they're getting out of it lol) and she calmed down and then said 'Why haven't you got a job, Janis?'

:rolleyes:

estrelas
19-05-2009, 09:54 AM
I mentioned this in a similar thread a while back but I still find it funny so will say it again!

I was talking to one of my mindees who was upset that her mum had to work so much, trying 'to explain that mummy had to work or she wouldn't be able to go on holiday etc (telling them about bills etc goes over their head, it has to be something that they're getting out of it lol) and she calmed down and then said 'Why haven't you got a job, Janis?'

:rolleyes:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: bless them hey x

mabel
19-05-2009, 10:00 AM
How annoying...............

and it is not just the childcare involved but the impact on your home

just the xtra cleaning, tidying and finding storage for everything......

Gizmo
19-05-2009, 07:44 PM
My mum keeps saying to me "are you sure you are doing the right thing Joy giving up a proper job to stay at home all day" if only, I took her through all the paperwork I have done so far all the course booklets all the details on self employment. I think she is starting to realise that this is a career change and not a sit on my butt and watch daytime tv and drink coffee (and get my nails done)
DH also keeps saying he cant wait until I am a cm so he can come home at night to his dinner ready :ROFL1: :ROFL1: and the house tidy oh what a dream world he lives in :laughing:

Andrea08
19-05-2009, 08:46 PM
OK A REAL JOB IS,,,

A) working 9am till 5pm
B) getting paid into your bank on time every friday
C) all bank holidays off with full pay
D) x2 weeks paid holiday
E) x2 weeks at xmas and new yr PAID
F) evening off with family
G) no extra paperwork in own time unpaid
H) sick pay
I) maturnity pay
J) and a free party at christmas :D

we do over an above that what most services deliver so to us all a pat on the back x x x x x:D

Ally
19-05-2009, 09:55 PM

Same here! My mother thinks what I do is demeaning for somebody with an engineering degree! But I wouldn't change it for anything - I run my own business and I love it. Children can be hard work but so rewarding! :cool:

Ally

mandy moo
21-05-2009, 05:20 PM
I dont know about anyone else, But even if you explain to them all, what we do have to do, Ofsted, paperwork and all the rest etc they still dont dont really belive its a 'proper job'