PDA

View Full Version : Hmm, what do you think?

Tatjana
11-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Had an email enquiry which i replied to and have now received another email which reads:

Thankyou for the info.cud u pls let me know the address so that i can think of visiting you once to have a look around.
How many 0-2 year olds do u cater for?does the fee include nappies too?
my daughter is a vegetarian,so wud you be able to provide veg. food for her?

And cud i please know ur registration number if you dont mind.Hope u dont take it wrong.

Do you think it's a genuine enquiry or someone just after my reg no.?!?! Why would she put 'hope you don't take it wrong'?

Advice much appreciated

xx

FizzysFriends
11-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Why don't you reply offering her an appointment and put on the bottom that you will be happy to give her your reg number if she is happy with you and contracts are signed. That way if she isn't genuine (which I dont think she is) she will not contact you again.

nicole_kirsty
11-05-2009, 03:16 PM
Hi

I definatly agree with Fizzyfriends! Dont give it out till you met and she has signed!!

Nic x

Andrea08
11-05-2009, 03:18 PM
NEVER GIVE OUT YOUR NUMBER until parents have signed the contract

e-mail them back with 3 appointment times and let them pick one

good luck

Mouse
11-05-2009, 03:50 PM
I would email back saying that you don't give out that sort of info this early on (address & Reg. number). Ask for their address & home phone number, so that you can contact them to answer their questions and to arrange an appointment.

The questions could be genuine - they sound like the sort of thing you find in the 'How to chose a childminder' leaflet. And maybe they want to look at your Ofsted report, so are asking for your registration number?

If they are genuine they won't mind giving you their contact details, if they're not genuine, you won't hear from them again.

The Juggler
11-05-2009, 03:58 PM
I wouldnt' worry about giving your reg no. out. As a parent I probably would not think about reading ofsted reports before visiting but I can see why some parents might.

The rest of her questions sound genuine. makes sense she'd want to know where you live before she visits you might be miles out of her way. Def. push for an appointment though you don't want time wasters!

Toothfairy
11-05-2009, 04:01 PM
I agree, never give out your registration number until the contracts are signed.

If she is genuine, she will be more than happy to meet you first.
Good luck :thumbsup:

Tatjana
11-05-2009, 04:48 PM
Thanks ladies, lots of good advice, as always!

Is there any harm in arranging a visit through email...or better for me to ask for her telephone no. to call her to arrange?

Can you tell i'm new at this? lol!

xx

Erika
11-05-2009, 06:21 PM
I've never asked for a registration number until I am happy with the childminder and they are happy with me, but I have asked for full name and address. This is so I can look up the childminder on the Care Commision's website to be sure that they are actually registered and to read their inspection reports. It gives me an idea as a parent what to expect. The care commision website also contains the childminder reference numbers, so they are easily obtained even if you don't give them out. Ofted is the same.

You may be surprised by the amount of people who claim to be registered but aren't, as a parent I have been. If someone won't give me the details I need to make the appropriate checks, as a parent I begin to question if they are a genuine childminder or someone trying to pull a fast one who is working illegally. I would never sign a contract without chekcing a registration number. One did refuse, and I couldn't find her on the Care Commision website, so I contacted the Care Commision and gave her name and address, asking for confirmation that she was registered. She wasn't.

Tatjana
11-05-2009, 07:52 PM
Yes it's tricky as she may well want to read my Ofsted report...only i don't have one as i'm newly registered and yet to have a grading inspection!

Also, i have read on this forum that some people take registration numbers to fraudulently claim tax credits.

Thanks for all your replies.

xx

funtoplay
11-05-2009, 08:48 PM
Hi,

I must admit, I would want to read a report before a visit if I was a parent. It helps build up a picture of a setting before you visit.

I have given out my number before a visit, not just on an enquiry but whon arranging an appointment to visit.

In fact if someone wants to go to those lengths to commit fraud then I hope they are caught out sometime. This does not however effect me in anyway!

Julia

LittleMissSparkles
11-05-2009, 08:51 PM
I would email back saying that you don't give out that sort of info this early on (address & Reg. number). Ask for their address & home phone number, so that you can contact them to answer their questions and to arrange an appointment.

The questions could be genuine - they sound like the sort of thing you find in the 'How to chose a childminder' leaflet. And maybe they want to look at your Ofsted report, so are asking for your registration number?

If they are genuine they won't mind giving you their contact details, if they're not genuine, you won't hear from them again.

I agree with Mouse xxx

Nix
11-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Had an email enquiry which i replied to and have now received another email which reads:

Thankyou for the info.cud u pls let me know the address so that i can think of visiting you once to have a look around.
How many 0-2 year olds do u cater for?does the fee include nappies too?
my daughter is a vegetarian,so wud you be able to provide veg. food for her?

And cud i please know ur registration number if you dont mind.Hope u dont take it wrong.

Do you think it's a genuine enquiry or someone just after my reg no.?!?! Why would she put 'hope you don't take it wrong'?

Advice much appreciated

xx

Lots of good advice given but I think what they sent via email sounds suspect! I wouldn't give my address so they could think of visiting me!! Get their number, speak on the telephone and go from there...:thumbsup:

Tatjana
11-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Arrgghhh, i just want to be a CHILDMINDER not a DETECTIVE!!!:huh:

xx

jibberjitz
11-05-2009, 09:23 PM
It does sound a bit suspect!

singlewiththree
12-05-2009, 06:20 AM
Perhaps offer to give her a copy of your report when she visits. Just say you hope she doesn't mind but its policy not to give out your number on ofsted recommendations as they are trying to combat benefit theft.

katickles
12-05-2009, 07:50 AM
I would let her know what area you live in & say is she's interested in a meeting then to call you to arrange an appointment & leave it there

grindal
12-05-2009, 07:58 AM
Have you decided what to do about this Tatjana? My first enquiry asked me for my registration number - I think parents like to get the numbers to reassure themselves that we are registered. I try to explain that as a new childminder I do not have an Ofsted report on the website, but if they make an appointment they are more than welcome to look at my registration certificate.
Let us know what happened.
Grindal

ajs
12-05-2009, 08:04 AM
I've never asked for a registration number until I am happy with the childminder and they are happy with me, but I have asked for full name and address. This is so I can look up the childminder on the Care Commision's website to be sure that they are actually registered and to read their inspection reports. It gives me an idea as a parent what to expect. The care commision website also contains the childminder reference numbers, so they are easily obtained even if you don't give them out. Ofted is the same.

You may be surprised by the amount of people who claim to be registered but aren't, as a parent I have been. If someone won't give me the details I need to make the appropriate checks, as a parent I begin to question if they are a genuine childminder or someone trying to pull a fast one who is working illegally. I would never sign a contract without chekcing a registration number. One did refuse, and I couldn't find her on the Care Commision website, so I contacted the Care Commision and gave her name and address, asking for confirmation that she was registered. She wasn't.

as a parent who would be looking for a childminder wholeheartedly agree that you should see the report before agreeing to sing contracts but as a childminder who has had her registration used to claim tax credits fraudulently i would never give out my registration number until i had signed contracts, saying that i will give my report to anyone who asks but delete my number.
i am not entirely sure that the ofsted site gives the report with just the address to go on but then i have never actually tried to access any

yummymummy
12-05-2009, 09:31 AM
as a parent who would be looking for a childminder wholeheartedly agree that you should see the report before agreeing to sing contracts but as a childminder who has had her registration used to claim tax credits fraudulently i would never give out my registration number until i had signed contracts, saying that i will give my report to anyone who asks but delete my number.
i am not entirely sure that the ofsted site gives the report with just the address to go on but then i have never actually tried to access any

I agree re not giving out Ofsted reg no. but anyone can put in your postcode on the Ofsted site and the latest Ofsted report to the childminder nearest to this postcode comes up. Not very secure is it?

Tatjana
12-05-2009, 02:23 PM
I had no idea things would be so complicated even before having my first mindee, lol!

Well, I emailed back last night saying I had been advised not to give out my registration number at this stage and I would show her my certificate should she decide to visit. Also, if she has any further queries and would like to make an appointment to visit to email me her home telephone number.

I've not had a reply!:eek:

xx

Erika
12-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Yep, I was surprised to discover a reg number could be obtained so easily! That's how most commit tax credit fraud, by searching the internet for reg numbers. The thing is most fraudsters havn't got the intelligence to use the reg of someone living close and that's how it's so often picked up on, although some do use the local ones. Similar fraud occurs with Sure Start Maternity Grants. With the grant, there is a declaration that the health professional has to sign. They also have to provide a contact telephone number, the full address of their place of work and provide their UKCC pin number. There is a webpage which stores all UKCC pin numbers of Health Professionals. The giveaway with Fradulently claimed Maternity Grants are similar. The customer lives nowhere near the midwife's alledged place of work and the contact telephone number provided for the health professional is always a mobile number, never a landline or business number.