PDA

View Full Version : Before and after school charges

louise
11-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Hi, I just had my old neighbour ask if i still cm. She is after before and after school only till just gone 4pm not sure of start time. 3 days a week i have said i can but we didnt discuss price shes going to pop in with her one day. Now i can only have 2 under 8's so she would take my last place on two of the days but i need another kid as my son starts school in sept and i need to leave my friday job but need to cover the money.
During h/t it will be only prob be two days as family member will have her.
What would you charge? Im wary of her filling a place for a few hours but i havent had a call for ages. Also she will be at school p/t to start with.

sarah707
11-02-2008, 08:05 PM
I don't know but I will bump up your post in the hopes someone else has some good ideas! :D

louise
11-02-2008, 08:10 PM
Thank you. I have been having a look at local childminders website and only a few have a min charge of 2 hours. I was suprised our local big cm who has an assistant charges more an hour plus has a min of 4 hours a day!
I was thinking about a tenner a day or does this sound too much? Also shall i charge for the 3rd day during half term?
lou

casey's mum
11-02-2008, 08:25 PM
I was talking to a friend of mine who is a childminder and has been for years. I will be encountering a similar prob come September when one of my full timers will start full time school but I will be need before and after school.
She advised me to charge half of my fee for a full day as technically they will still be expecting me to hold a full time space open for them.

Seemed a little harsh to me but apparently the done thing in the area.

Don't know if this helps.

Angela xx

berkschick
11-02-2008, 08:33 PM
You wont really be holding a full-time place open though if the child is at fulltime school as they move up to the 5 - 8 bracket so you can still have your full-timers. Obviously being in the 5 - 8 bracket the only time they would ever be full time is during the holidays.

casey's mum
11-02-2008, 08:57 PM
berkschick.....

soz if I sound dull but I have never really had this made clear...when she starts full time school does she or does she not count in my numbers?

louise
11-02-2008, 09:06 PM
berkschick
Im only reg for 2 under 8's and only 1 can be under 1. So i dont have any 5-8 cat. Do you think Ofsted would give me a variation if i happen to need it in the future as it is only a few hours i would have her?

Angela
I would feel mean charging that. I havent come across it round here. I dont want to charge too much and she finds someone else. It is ideal i know them but not to well for it to cause any problems. Both her and my son will be starting school together.

berkschick
11-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Hi Angela,

There was a debate about this not so long ago but from what I understand and from what OFSTED have told me, a child who full-time school is classed as over 5. Give them a call to double check :)

Hi Louise,

Sorry, I didnt realise that. I havent come accross that before, normally it is broken down into under 1, 1 - 5 and 5 - 8 catagories. Do you have children of your own that count? In your case, I would take this child on and see what happens in the future. You can not apply for a variation until you have names and DOB of all children concerned so it is a case of crossing that bridge when you come to it!

deeb66
11-02-2008, 09:17 PM
Hi Angela,

There was a debate about this not so long ago but from what I understand and from what OFSTED have told me, a child who full-time school is classed as over 5. Give them a call to double check :)

Yes this is correct

casey's mum
11-02-2008, 10:03 PM
Yes this is correct

...With OFSTED. Cause I am CSSIW registered and this is where I think diffs are. Cause when I asked my inspector about it she said I would have to apply for planning permission!!

This is where things get confusing ay!!! lol

deeb66
11-02-2008, 10:05 PM
...With OFSTED. Cause I am CSSIW registered and this is where I think diffs are. Cause when I asked my inspector about it she said I would have to apply for planning permission!!

This is where things get confusing ay!!! lol

Yes I agree....this is where things really do get confusing but Amanda is usually around to help us all to understand the differences .

Where are you Amanda? :D :D

manjay
11-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Sorry I am confused with this one! Is it because you have your own children that you are only able to have 2 mindees? I am allowed 5 as I have a one year old son, no more than 2 under 5 and no more than 2 under 18 months. I am then allowed 3 5-8 year olds. One of mine (4) will go to school in Sept so he will move to 5-8 catergory and i will charge before and after school rates.

Which part was your inspector saying you needed planning for? more than 2 children.

Sorry if I have misunderstood

amanda xx

tulip0803
12-02-2008, 12:17 AM
Sorry I am confused with this one! Is it because you have your own children that you are only able to have 2 mindees? I am allowed 5 as I have a one year old son, no more than 2 under 5 and no more than 2 under 18 months. I am then allowed 3 5-8 year olds. One of mine (4) will go to school in Sept so he will move to 5-8 catergory and i will charge before and after school rates.

Which part was your inspector saying you needed planning for? more than 2 children.

amanda xx

Until August last year in Carmarthenshire the local planning department would only allow you to have 6 people coming in and out of your house, as a family of 5 I would only have been able to care for one child ( not sustainable) :( unless I applied for change of use to business on the premises. This is why I am a playworker at the minute and am only registering now despite being a cm before.

The CSSIW and the NCMA have campaigned for about 4 years to get them to change the planning rules. I now have their agreement for the full 6 :clapping: although my DD comes into those numbers. I belivev there are some other councils who are really helpful like this. My friend's husband works in London all week but she was told he still counted as someone going in and out of the house!

casey's mum
12-02-2008, 09:33 AM

amanda xx

On my reg it only says I am registered for 3 under 5. So I have stuck to only ever having 3 at anyone time with all the age restrictions you mentioned i.e no more than 2 under 18 months etc.
I asked my inspector if I could increase my numbers to 4 as I had a LO wanting a place but there was a cross over at lunch time of 1 hour where one came from morning nursery and another going to afternoon nursery. My inspector said I would have to check with planning before she would give me permission. Planning were most unhelpful and it was like the person I was dealing with just couldn't grasp what I meant and just kept insisting I would have to change the usage of my property which would involve planning permission.
This side of things totally confuses me. As Tulip0803 said about Carmarthenshire it was rumoured that Caerphilly were trying to adopt the 6 people coming in and out of house policy so being 5 of us here anyway I left it as I was worried I would end up having to drop in numbers.

Angela xx

Mollymop
12-02-2008, 10:30 AM
This all seems really confusing to me, so i hope you manage to get it sorted out ok. XX

louise
12-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Hi everyone. Sorry its semmed to of got confusing.
I have a 3 year old and my cert says may only care for 2 under 8's only 1 can be under1. I assumed that as i can only have 2 children that is why they never used the under 5 age range.
I know that i cant aske for a variation untill i have another mindee. Im just hoping i could do in the future.
My mindee was back today after a 2 week break and mum is now looking for a full time job. She asked before if i could as like ive mentioned i work another job on fri and sat. I told her i would need to increase my fees to cover me leaving my other job. Worked out id need an extra 40p an hour. So fingers crossed she gets a full time job and i get the new mindee and i will finally get to leave my other job and get the whole weekend with my hubbie and son which we havent had since our son was 9 months old.
lou

louise
12-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Sorry i never said basicly what would you charge the mum.
Its 3 days a week before and after school.
she will only want 2 days during holidays.
Would you charge a min a day?
also would you charge for the 3 days in the holidays even though she wants 2?