PDA

View Full Version : First aid box; where it should be?

mindermummy
11-05-2009, 10:05 AM
I used to have mine on top of the fridge...but to be honest its now turned into a bigger box and loooked untidy on top of fridge, so i have put in cupboard.

I have inspection this week and just wondered if its OK int he cupboard..unseen though...but i know its there obviosuly!!

Doe it need to be SEEN? or if i put on outside of cup the sign is that good enough>??

Anyone know the rules??

Daftbat
11-05-2009, 10:17 AM
If its not on show then you should really have a sticker on the door to highlight it. Mine is on top of the fridge but i also have cake tins on the top too so its not really unsightly.

rickysmiths
11-05-2009, 10:20 AM
I have mine in a cupboard in the downstair cloakroom. My dh made me a little sign green with a white cross that says 'The First Aid Box is in the Cupboard in the cloakroom' is on the outside of the door and there is one on the outside of the cupboard door. Mrs Ofsted liked this last year.

katickles
11-05-2009, 11:28 AM
I keep mine in a cupboard in my kitchen (under the sink) & on the door there is a sign letting people know, Ofsted were fine with that when i had my inspection :)

FussyElmo
11-05-2009, 12:16 PM
I keep mine in the cupboard under the sink without a sign ofsted were fine with it:)

Pipsqueak
11-05-2009, 12:41 PM
Mine is on top of the fridge with a little ambulance sign and an arrow lol

fionamal
11-05-2009, 01:15 PM
I have one in the kitchen on the wall next to the fire extinguisher and one in the dinning room on the top of my welsh dresser and a smaller bumbag type one in the buggy. Dont have signs to state where they are but they are very visable when entering the rooms

Mouse
11-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Mine is on a hook on the kitchen wall - very obvious, but out of reach of children.

Hooligan59
11-05-2009, 01:40 PM
Mine is on top of the fridge too, but Mrs Ofsted on Thursday didn't seem at all bothered where it was, as long as she was aware I had one!:)

Ripeberry
11-05-2009, 01:48 PM
I keep mine hanging up on a hook on the wall of the dowstairs toilet. So that i can have it handy when i need to wash out wounds with water in the little sink.

tammerisk
11-05-2009, 02:46 PM
well i really should be in reach of children as the lady running my first aid course told me.
there should be nothing in there that will harm children and if it is in reach of the children if you need them to get you something then they can.
and i think that children should be tought in a roundabout way how to do all the things that need doing if you hurt your self so then you are prpared if anything happens and you are on your own with the children and are unable to dit your self.

Daddy Day Care
11-05-2009, 04:56 PM
Mins in a draw in the kitchen, theres no sign in the draw.

I was told that it had to be at a height the children could reach??

When I had my inspection she asked if I ahd a first aid kit but didnt wnat to see it and didnt ask where abouts it was.

Gareth
xx

mindermummy
12-05-2009, 09:30 AM
Thanks all, i have kept it in cup and have made a sign outside just incase!!:)

jess
14-05-2009, 12:07 PM
:o check contents are not out of date, one or two bits of mine were when she checked!

bex8282
15-05-2009, 10:20 AM
I have mine to a wall, you can be wall mountable one`s off Ebay!!! Its in the Kitchen seems central to the House !!

jibberjitz
17-05-2009, 07:57 PM
Mine is is the kitchen on a shelf

Chanelle
17-05-2009, 08:38 PM
It just shows how much things differ in different districts and other parts of the country.

My Ofsted inspector said that as I had mine in view and at the children's reach it was in the perfect place.
I have no sign but do have it marked on my fire evacuation/plan chart

I don't think there is a wrong place for it so long as it is obvious where it is and what it is.

She also said it is essential the children can reach it in case of an emergency ... what if I hurt myself etc ... would they know where to find it.

In many areas of the EYFS there are grey areas of differences depending to the area you live, inspector you get etc ...

Do what is right for you and your setting, just make sure you have the cross visible wether this is a sign or the actual box.

beerheaven
17-05-2009, 09:35 PM
It just shows how much things differ in different districts and other parts of the country.

My Ofsted inspector said that as I had mine in view and at the children's reach it was in the perfect place.
I have no sign but do have it marked on my fire evacuation/plan chart

I don't think there is a wrong place for it so long as it is obvious where it is and what it is.

She also said it is essential the children can reach it in case of an emergency ... what if I hurt myself etc ... would they know where to find it.

In many areas of the EYFS there are grey areas of differences depending to the area you live, inspector you get etc ...

Do what is right for you and your setting, just make sure you have the cross visible wether this is a sign or the actual box.

I too was advised to have my first aid box at child height so could be brought to me in emergency. Make sense to me.

Mine is on low window sill in kitchen.

michellethegooner
17-05-2009, 10:30 PM
mine is on a wall in the kitchen low enough for children to reach, no signs as it is quite visable

Blaze
17-05-2009, 11:43 PM
I was specifically told to have it out of reach of children!:rolleyes:

singlewiththree
18-05-2009, 06:43 AM
I was specifically told to have it out of reach of children!:rolleyes:

I've compromised its out of little children's reach but older ones about 9/10yrs can reach it :) I have

1 by the back door
1 in the kitchen
travel one which we take with us
several small travel ones which are in my handbag/car etc

Ally
18-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Mine is on top of the fridge too, but Mrs Ofsted on Thursday didn't seem at all bothered where it was, as long as she was aware I had one!:)

Ditto for me - mine is on top of the medicine cabinet in the cloakroom - no signage. I know where it is and most people who come in here know where it is! Can't miss it!

Ally