PDA

View Full Version : Fit not fat!

Demonjill
10-05-2009, 09:57 PM
O.K As some of you know I work with race horses at the mo which is obviously a very physical job!! I do need to be a bit fit for this:laughing: Now as some of you also know i am in the pre reg stage for minding.
Now i just wanted to hear everybody's advice etc about this as i dont want to put on lots of weight due to drop in exercise etc.
I do know you dont all sit on your bums all day and i dont intend to either (unless im on here lol) and i already go up and down my house stairs for my own kids an alarming amount of times every day so i know there will be some calorie burning.
Without meaning to be rude or judgemental in any way has anyone else had similar worries or actually put on lots of weight since they started minding? suppose for me there would be more opportunities for snacking if im in the house more etc.
Thanx for reading this .... I know I go on and on sometimes :blush:

Daftbat
11-05-2009, 05:33 AM
I don't think its an issue and to be honest its something that has never crossd my mind. I am overweight but its not linked to any job i have had.

I think if you have been used to more exercise than you think you are going to get from minding then you will have to build it in to your life elsewhere. However, you may find that its not problem. Sometimes i think i should be a size 8 after walking 2 miles a day for the school run, getting up and down from the floor playing and changing nappies all day, not to mention the fact that sometimes i only get my lunch on the run!:rolleyes:

FussyElmo
11-05-2009, 05:57 AM
My dh changed jobs nearly 2 years ago went from walking pushing crate things(couldnt think of the names) full of goods all night to being a support worker in a care home. Now although he hasnt put weight on he's alot unfitter than he was:)

Demonjill
11-05-2009, 06:34 AM
My dh changed jobs nearly 2 years ago went from walking pushing crate things(couldnt think of the names) full of goods all night to being a support worker in a care home. Now although he hasnt put weight on he's alot unfitter than he was:)

My DH went back to driving HGVs several years ago and put on weight. But he is sitting down most of the day lol although he is trying not to eat too much junk food buts its not always easy.:(

huggableshelly
11-05-2009, 06:40 AM
my weight bounces big time anything from 12 - 15 stone pending on what I eat from one month to the next and i am unfit. I do not believe it is down to childminding as i was 15 stone before I started as a cm.

i dont know what my problem is to be honest but its not down to my job, providing you are sensible and keep your snacks to a minimum and remember to still keep active too such as pushing buggies, playing rather than sitting on the sofa, even a trip to the park!

angeldelight
11-05-2009, 06:42 AM
It has never been an issue and it would never have crossed my mind to be honest

I need to lose weight but its nothing to do with my job and infact I think I am really active

I am over weight because I eat to much - you are what you eat !!!!

Dont worry about it

Angel xx

FussyElmo
11-05-2009, 06:49 AM
Oh no so your telling me the reason i cant lose this extra stone is because of the choclate, crisps, biscuits. I dont believe it they talk to me ever so nicely when they are asking me to eat them:panic:

ORKSIE
11-05-2009, 06:50 AM
LOL I should look like a stick Insect with all the Playschool and schooll runs, toddler gruopps and library.
I do a lot of walking as all of us do.
But I just cant seem to shift them pounds:(
Oh well never mind, the evcersise is doing me good:)

Demonjill
11-05-2009, 06:52 AM
The strange thing is, is that although i am fit for the job i do, i dont manage so well doing "different" active things lol eg I struggle to run very far.
So if i was to take up jogging i would fall in a heap.:laughing:
I have put on weight since started the racehorses but doc says its because ive gained more muscle and this weighs more than fat!
It is weird how everything works though cos yes i do have muscly calves and arms but my thighs and bum are just...... fat! lol
My weakness is Cola so will need to ban this from house when start minding or will just guzzle all day lol:laughing:

ORKSIE
11-05-2009, 06:54 AM
I have put on weight since started the racehorses but doc says its because ive gained more muscle and this weighs more than fat!
It is weird how everything works though cos yes i do have muscly calves and arms but my thighs and bum are just...... fat! lol

:laughing: :laughing: are we related:rolleyes:
Sounds like me:laughing:

Alibali
11-05-2009, 07:41 AM
Mmmmm, interesting. I have always struggled with my weight and have put on weight since I startted minding but I don't THINK it's related. But now you mention it the 3 girls around here who have started minding in the last 2 years have all put on weight too, infact I would say that on an average week at childminding group about 90% of us are dieting? Think it may be age related though. You should do some research and get it published:)

RachelE
11-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Hmm, biscuits and toast at toddler groups, my own childrens treats readily available in the cupboard at home! Yes, it is harder to be good. - Once the Lo's have a nap, I'm terrible!! :blush:

yes, the pushing of a double buggy almost compensates for it though!!

julie w
11-05-2009, 11:48 AM
My biggest problem since childminding has been nibbling the children's leftovers, and biscuits at toddler groups. But now, when the little one's have a nap, I get my WII fitness out and have a jump around to it. I'm in the same room as the children, and it really helps me.x.:D

The Juggler
11-05-2009, 12:31 PM
I could never shift the weight after my kids. Then I started childminding and I can't drive when working as don't have large enough car - in the first 18 months of childminding I lost 2 stone. I have now put half back on but that's picking kids food more and more (which I resisted in the beginning) and sitting on bum all weekend studying.

I have to say it's great exercise if you're not driving on the school run. Even get a bicep work out with those double buggies - who needs a gym.

Blackhorse
11-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Hi Demonjill (what a fab name..makes me giggle every time..I have a friend called gill and I need to make sure I don't start calling her demonjill)

I used to work with horses. I was riding teacher and was also training horses (dressage and jumping). I was working Tue-Sunday 2-8pm in the stables and used other hours to train with my own horse, plus ride horses of other people when they were unable to ride them or wanted me to sit on them every so often anyways as they thought it would be good for the horse..I did an awful lot of hours each week either sitting on horses myself or teaching others...so a lot of running around.
My weight was perfect and I was fit like a pro!!

I put an quite a bit of wheight when I moved to scotland as I had an office job and no money to go riding. I did a lot of walking for the first while (2 hours a day as I walked to work and back as I wanted to be more active) but slowly but surely that stopped as well... I got a new job in the city center that was too far to walk to ...had loads of over time...office dinners and lunches with clients...business travel with more dinners and lunches...well you get the picture.....then I was pregnant with my dd and put on some more.
I have done weight watchers befoe xmas and lost quite a lot. need to restart it again to go the final few pounds till I am back to my normal self..more or less.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it is easy to put on weight if you have an extremely active AND sporty job and move to one that is an office job. I guess with childminding you won't have loads of time to sit anywhere, but it is still not a sport where you physically exercise (apart maybe from pushing double buggies up steep hills)
I am actually hoping that having my first mindees will make me more active again (compared to my desk job). My dd certainly keeps me on my toes.. :-)

I am sure you will be fine though!!

youarewhatyoueat
11-05-2009, 01:27 PM
I'm not overweight but i've definately got very wobbly since doing cm and the nvq, I sit in the kitchen for a few hours every night on the lap top doing paperwork and chatting on this forum and nibbling snacks, so i'm going back to the gym, i've just filled out the membership. I'm looking forward to some me time. The one thing I do now though is eat masses of fruit with the children at snack time, I don't offer biscuits so I don't eat them either.

tinkerbelle
11-05-2009, 01:46 PM
my dr warned me to ensure i ate when i registered as most minders are that busy they dont have time to eat
i have actually lost 1 stone since minding well that was 5 years ago pre minding i was 9 1/2 stone now weigh 8 stone so i dont think it matters what job you do x