PDA

View Full Version : Deposit for temporary contract?

helenlc
10-05-2009, 08:53 PM
I have a lady coming to see me tomorrow who wants a one off 3 day care for her 3 children in the May half term. Nothing else after that.

Should I still ask for a deposit?

I am a little cautious as I had children booked in for holiday care before and I went out and bought craft stuff, extra games etc and then they cancelled and I had nothing from them financially.

The lady seems very aware of how the child care works - I am not sure why she just needs 3 days but wonder if her regular childminder may be away that week. Therefore, a deposit will not sound unusual for her, but just wondered if it was considered the norm even for temporary care.

Thanks

TheBTeam
10-05-2009, 09:00 PM
I would definitely go for at least a 50% deposit.

miffy
10-05-2009, 09:01 PM
I would take a deposit - it will be a lot of money to lose if she changes her mind.

I'd ask for half when she books the places which would be non-refundable if she didn't take up the places and the other half on the first day the children attend.

That way you won't be out of pocket if things change and she will know that you are a professional :)

Good luck - hope it works out

Miffy xx

helenlc
10-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Thanks ladies, I was thinking the same thing myself but just wanted to check with others.

singlewiththree
11-05-2009, 06:22 AM
Most holiday clubs now expect fees up front so you are fully justified especially with three children for 3 days.

I have children booked just for the hols but they just come for one day so I don't charge a deposit but I know them personally and they haven't let me down before.

Hope it goes well today, let us know how you get on.

huggableshelly
11-05-2009, 06:34 AM
I would expect atleast half too hope all goes well for you today xxx

youarewhatyoueat
11-05-2009, 07:16 AM
I would ask for £30 deposit and the balance either a week before or on the morning. Most holiday schemes expect full payment when booked

helenlc
11-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Well, Mum came this evening with the children - they are all lovely.

She seems very keen but I have to apply to Ofsted for a variation for those days as I already have a 3 yr old (children are 2 yr old twins and 4 yr old). Mum wants to use me due to my experience with twins.

I said I will get in touch with Ofsted and let her know ASAP. And then she can come back and sign contracts, sort out deposit etc.

All seems good, touch wood.