PDA

View Full Version : Question re SEf for joint childmidners

buildingblocks
09-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Can anyone who works together with there other half or with another childminder help me please. Have you had to do separate SEF's or a joint one. I rang Ofsted (didn't speak to an inspector though) before Christmas and we were told we had to do spearate ones.

I recently spoke to someone locally who works with her hubby and was told they were told to do a joint one. Also a senior development worker said she thought I was wrong and we needed to do a joint one as nurseries do (which to be honest makes far more sense as they don't have to do separate ones)

Please can someone tell me which is right as I need to get ours done desparately and don't see the point in spearate ones if I don't have to. Keep meaning to ring angain but never rememebr until late in the evening

sarah707
09-05-2009, 07:21 PM
As far as I am aware if you are registered in your own right ten you need your own Sef because you will have different roles and responsibilities within the business and you will be inspected separately.

:D

TheBTeam
09-05-2009, 07:26 PM
Myself and my husband have done separate ones, but a lot of the content is the same, ofsted wanted my dh's when they came but didn't mention doing a joint one.

buildingblocks
15-05-2009, 06:17 AM
Thanks everyone. I just get more and more confused with everything as one person is told one thing and someone else gets told something different

Brenda
20-05-2009, 06:50 PM
Hubby and I were inspected in Jan/Feb and I had done my SEF and said his would be virtually identical as we work together. She said she wanted to see his on Monday when she returned so we obliged and she was happy.

Playmate
21-05-2009, 09:01 AM
As far as I am aware if you are registered in your own right ten you need your own Sef because you will have different roles and responsibilities within the business and you will be inspected separately.

:DWe spoke to ofsted at Christmas time when when embarked on this mamoth task. Although we were told we would both have to submit one, we could write it together and copy and paste most of it. Obviously there are areas where you have different experiences and roles and responsibilities. However you have to careful the way you write it, At our last inspection I got an 'Outstanding' and Hubby got a 'good'. This was because the inspector believed that as hubby was part time (He is now full time) and I had more experience that I must have done most of the work :angry: We tried to appeal but were to late). Obviously now he is full time we both have our own responsibilities ie I don't do attendence Registers and he very rarely does craft activities. If we wrote this on individual SEFs we would probably both be deemed inadequate! but together we consider ourselves Outstanding :clapping: I think you have to use a bit of poetic license!

We bashed out ours on paper first and now are trying to tweek the various sections to suit us as individuals before submitting online. very long winded but if it gets us both an Outstanding next time it will be worth it :jump for joy: