PDA

View Full Version : Dogs

youarewhatyoueat
08-05-2009, 10:22 PM
What do ofsted think of dogs? I've got a friend who is a nanny and is considering being a cm, but has a large labrador who lives in the house and travels in the boot of the car. Are there any rules regarding dogs, I didn't know but I bet someone on here has the answer I could pass on.
Thanks all
Caroline

aly
08-05-2009, 10:27 PM
Im under cssiw...and I have now been told I am not allowed to have my dog {lurcher} anywhere near mindees. so now he has to stay in kitchen/hall while they are the other side of the gate.!!:mad:

ORKSIE
08-05-2009, 11:58 PM
I dont have a dog, now, i have in the past ... but if i did... i would keep it out of the way of mindees.
The way I see it, a dogs a dog, no matter how friendly, how cute, how trained.
It only takes a child to do something that the dog dosn't like the sound of and it may strike, out of sheer instinct.
Dont get me wrong, I love dogs, but i would never trust one, what ever breed around a mindee, because you just never know!

CCJD
09-05-2009, 05:58 AM
Ofsted have no problem with dogs however will expect to see suitable risk assesment taken - just like with anything else. Your friend needs to consider areas like : leaving a dog with children unsupervised, dog feeding,dog mess, general hygene. For example I have a stairgate over my playroom door so that dogs do not have access - they are fed outside of minding hours so no food bowls around- children can't get to water bowls- dogs go in an area of the garden where the children are not allowed- garden is checked regularly for dog mess, hand washing is encouraged after touching dog, dogs are regularly wormed - house is hoovered twice a day to keep it clean of dog hair (I have 2 dogs and dod hair blows like tumbleweed arcross my floors if I don't keep on top of it). That's it to start with - sure there us more. As with most things so longas properly considered and risk assessed she will be fine.

Daftbat
09-05-2009, 06:43 AM
Ofsted have no problem with dogs however will expect to see suitable risk assesment taken - just like with anything else. Your friend needs to consider areas like : leaving a dog with children unsupervised, dog feeding,dog mess, general hygene. For example I have a stairgate over my playroom door so that dogs do not have access - they are fed outside of minding hours so no food bowls around- children can't get to water bowls- dogs go in an area of the garden where the children are not allowed- garden is checked regularly for dog mess, hand washing is encouraged after touching dog, dogs are regularly wormed - house is hoovered twice a day to keep it clean of dog hair (I have 2 dogs and dod hair blows like tumbleweed arcross my floors if I don't keep on top of it). That's it to start with - sure there us more. As with most things so longas properly considered and risk assessed she will be fine.

I have a German Shepherd and i do as above. I can't segretate the garden but i can keep the dog in the house whilst the kids are in the garden using stairgates. You just have to be sensible about things and i have found that its a constant "work in progress" in terms of finding ways to ensure that everyone is happy. I use stairgates which allows me to ensure a baby area is kept free of the dog. If i have no babies around the older children decide for themselves if they want Jake (the dog) around and they can shut the gates if they like.

Jake is very good natured but i agree that i can't take him for granted and i ensure that children are not left alone with him ever. He goes outside if or is segregated in the kitchen if i go to the bathroom etc. Ofsted were happy with what i had done. Its a shame that the CC are not letting one poster keep their dog. Learning to care for animals and having them around is good for children as they grow up.

Roseolivia
09-05-2009, 08:26 AM
I have a dog and she's always around the mindees especially in the winter. She has her own paddock so doesn't do her business where the mindees play. We have a settee in the hallway which is hers which is where she normally lays through the day. My mindee knows not to fuss the dog and the dog is never left alone with them(although daughter gets left alone). I was brought up around dogs and cats and taught not to bother the animals and if they bit it was my own fault(sounds harsh but i have never been bit). I teach my daughter not to fuss the dog although the dog loves being fussed anyway.

mushpea
09-05-2009, 08:30 AM
I have a labrador which totaly slobberd the ofsted inspector when she came:eek: she was fine with it. as others said its risk assesments and being sensible really, you know your own dog and its temprement as to wether it would be ok with kids. i would never leave them alone together as you never know how the most soppiest of dogs would turn if pulled about enough, having said that he has been run over with buggys had sand porued on him, balls chucked at him, he looks, grunts and lays back down.:laughing:

youarewhatyoueat
09-05-2009, 01:12 PM
Thanks, i'll pass on the info, Caroline

beckyteddy
09-05-2009, 02:45 PM
My inspector who came last week, didn't ask/mention anything about dogs at all, she stroked mine as she came through the door and that was all.

I presume she read through my pets policy which includes most of the things listed above when she looked at my porfolio, but she just seemed to accept that our dog is part of my home and that is perfectly natural to have a dog and be able to child-mind at the same time.

nic76
20-09-2009, 07:59 PM
i have 2 cavaliers and ofsted inspector didnt seem to mind

LOOPYLISA
20-09-2009, 08:02 PM
I dont have a dog, now, i have in the past ... but if i did... i would keep it out of the way of mindees.
The way I see it, a dogs a dog, no matter how friendly, how cute, how trained.
It only takes a child to do something that the dog dosn't like the sound of and it may strike, out of sheer instinct.
Dont get me wrong, I love dogs, but i would never trust one, what ever breed around a mindee, because you just never know!

Totally agree with this :thumbsup:

Daisy1956
20-09-2009, 08:32 PM
I have both cats and a dog but they are not toys .The children are allowed to pet them when I am present and know that they wash their hands afterwards.The children enjoy taking the dog for an walk and even the most reluctant walker enjoys going out with the dog Care needs to be taken and obviously we need to do risk assessments but I have never had any problems with them

russell
20-09-2009, 08:33 PM
I have always had dogs and have childminded for nearly 25 yrs. Haven't had ofsted with the dogs I have at the moment and I have 2 staffies ,parents and children fine with them,but not left on their own with children and I ahve a stairgste in front of playroom.

russell
20-09-2009, 08:34 PM
Please excuse spelling in previous post

sweets
20-09-2009, 09:32 PM
ofsted are fine with dogs as long as they have a separate area for them from the children. what your friend needs to realise tho is that it may put some potential parents off. personally i would not place my child with a childminder that had any sort of dog! no matter what safety procedures or risk assesements they had. its a personal choice that parents have to make. some would be fine with it and some not.

Roseolivia
21-09-2009, 06:29 AM
ofsted are fine with dogs as long as they have a separate area for them from the children. what your friend needs to realise tho is that it may put some potential parents off. personally i would not place my child with a childminder that had any sort of dog! no matter what safety procedures or risk assesements they had. its a personal choice that parents have to make. some would be fine with it and some not.

Not being rude but why???
I think it's good kids are around dogs as it makes them less afraid of them. I have a dog and she's the softest dog but we still have rules where the kids can't fuss her, she goes outside when the kids eat(she's greedy and will sit and watch them eat and wait for food to fall from the table or be handed to her) and she's not left alone with them.

grindal
21-09-2009, 07:49 AM
There are lots of reasons why people may not want to choose a minder with dogs or cats. I would not use a chldminders with dogs as I have a severe allergy to both dog and cat hair. I do not know if my children have the same allergy but would not want to find out under such circumstances. Also I would not want to have to use anti histamines every day when dropping off and collecting. When i was looking for a childminder for DS1 anyone with pets was immediately crossed off my list!

Polly2
21-09-2009, 08:03 AM
I have 2 dogs my certificate says children are not to be left unattended with dogs.

They stay in a separate part of the house and have a doggy pen when outside.

The children do have contact with them and they love it but they are always closely monitored by me.

I have parents that chose me because I have dogs and animals, it means their children can learn about animals without them having to have any!:rolleyes:

little daisies
21-09-2009, 08:14 AM
i have 5 at the moment as i breed and show bulldogs. mine are in kennels and a fenced off run but i do have puppies in the house. ofsted are ok with this, i have to have risk assassments in place and the mindees are not allowed to be left alone with them all the parents are fine as weel. my dogs are much loved by the children as all they do is sleep and nore anyway