PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me??

sophiestars
08-05-2009, 08:30 PM
I started minding in March and had a phone call last week from Ofsted saying that I will be getting my inspection in the next 2 months (eeek!!) so i thought i would make a start on my SEF but my goodness does anyone else think it's a tad over the top for childminders?

I am finding it really hard to fill in. I mean I am all for the eyfs and self evaluation in principle but I am getting so bogged down in (unpaid!) paperwork that I am getting really fed up. It may be because I have only recently started minding and may relax in time but I can't play with the children without thinking ooh must take a picture of that for evidence and constantly looking for things to observe.

I just think there is too much being expected of us. All of my 4 parents without exception have been shocked when they have seen all the paperwork side of things especially as I only have each child for 1 day and one of them for 2 days.

I think we can show our understanding of EYFS without having to do quite so much (and all in our own time - there is no way I could get any of it done during my working hours).

What also REALLY annoys me is the wishy washy attitude of ofsted that none of the written policies or SEF are compulsory but people have been marked down for not doing them. It just doesn't make sense!! They should take a firmer stand and say we have to do them and then we know where we stand - there is so much inconsistency. So I am probably overdoing the paperwork I actually need to make sure they can't mark me down for not having it. GRRRRRR!!

Ok breathe out now ........................rant over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

clorogue
08-05-2009, 08:47 PM
No it is not just you believe me - I have seen so many stressed out childminders - and this does NOT benefit the children. I have been doing the job for neary 13 years and have had 25 children through my care. I have 3 children of my own and have always been proud of how I provide a 'home from home' environment I have provided for other children, for I wish the children that come into my home to remember the happy times. I am also very proud of the skills my children have with the little ones, it comes so natural to them to relate to the litte ones. I work 5 days a week and no I can't do the paperwork in the childminding time as I am Playing with the children and keeping up all the other things that are required. I also have 3 children of my own and they have their own individual needs to cater for to.I feel at times I have neglected them because I have had to spend hours working out the paperwork all in my family's time! I really don't feel the children I look after have benefited whatsover through all the paperwork that has come in (I had diairies, policies in place and was aways up to date with everything) as I was doing it all already. Really parents should be able to choose who they want as their childminder with all the safety checks and necessary paperwork in place and not all childminders shoud be under the EYFS as we all work differently and offer different home environments. What I find really sad is that the best childminders I know have left because of this. I am still spending hours pulling things together and I must say I am proud of what I have done so far considering what i am up against. What about us? What about a section making sure the carer is looking after themselves as then we can give to others! It really has put a lot of stress on us, but I am passionate about my job and the wonderful children I care for and that is what keeps me grounded. We are supposed to be superwomen!

nemo97
08-05-2009, 09:20 PM
And so say all of us!!! :angry:

kelzunique
19-06-2009, 04:18 PM
And so say all of us!!! :angry:

hear hear!! :angry: :clapping: :angry:

Chatterbox Childcare
19-06-2009, 04:42 PM
I think when you first start you have to look at it from a business point of view and any business starting up requires some time and energy. Once the paperwork is done (policies RA etc) they are done and need looking at once a year for a review

The same goes for the SEF. Did you use the notes? I couldn't have done mine without it and now I won't have to do it again - just update a couple of 1 liners

Lastly, my council are running SEF training courses, check with yours or I am told Sarah's ebooks are fantastic for helping you through this.

Long deep breath, do yourself a list and take your time.

Daftbat
19-06-2009, 05:19 PM
I agree with Debbie that yes it is time consuming initially but once its up and running its not too bad.

I wish we didn't have to do some of it but on the whole i am happy with the systems i have in place and i think i provide a better service as a result. Now that i plan things further in advance i think the children get a lot of extra experiences than they did before with me. It keeps the job fresh for me.

With regard to the SEF yes i agree its really timeconsuming and i think parts of it are not really relevant to us however the thing that really bugs me is that its so repetitive.

sweets
19-06-2009, 05:46 PM
My friend recently had her inspection, she had refused to do the SEF as found it very difficult, what she did do though is a reflectice practice thing from the NCMA, her inspector said it was fine to do that insted of SEF. as long as you are showing that you are reflecting your practice it doesn't matter how its done!
She got an outstanding!

Sarah Jane Gale
20-06-2009, 08:02 PM
ive got my inspection too soon!! eeek,

any chance any of you could email me your sef so i can get some "IDEAS" im too finding it very difficult. i work from 6am b4 schoolers and my little boy does not go home till 8.30 PM im just soo tired, i know what i need to write and put but just dont seem to be able to get the wording right.

any help would be soooooooo gratefuly received.

regards

stresses out childminder x :mad: