PDA

View Full Version : laptops

watgem
08-05-2009, 07:22 PM
I need advice about laptops please! I need to get one, it needs to be not too expensive have loads of memory for me to put downloads on, keep all my homework on it and photos but be simple to use cos I really don't understand computers! Also How do I work out the tax for it because it will probably cost more than £200? Any recommendations and advice would be very much appreciated hanks gem:)

Tatjana
08-05-2009, 07:51 PM
I recently got one from PC World, it's a Compaq and was £349 I'm a techno phobe but apparently it's rather good...my hubby went with me to buy it as i'm so rubbish at these things.

xx

youarewhatyoueat
08-05-2009, 08:11 PM
I got an hp from ebuyer was recommended paid £349

watgem
09-05-2009, 06:42 AM
thank you I will look out for these two:)

huggableshelly
09-05-2009, 06:48 AM
PINK - SONY make a VAIO VGN-NS20E

it was close to £500 and has plenty of storage but I do have an external hard drive too for photos, and my creative online hobby

I really like it and dont miss my pc as much as I thought I would.
I then sold my pc back to myself as its for the childrens use now so kinda claimed some of the cost of my laptop back through my books.

You canclaim your laptop through your books if its for work purposes only, mine is for recreational fun too hence selling my pc back into cm.

Adiamond
09-05-2009, 08:09 AM
I have had my hp laptop for 18 months loads of storage and easy to use,it cost £349 back then so should be able to get one with the same spec alot cheaper now.
HTH x x x :)

PixiePetal
09-05-2009, 08:42 AM
DS has a Compaq and it's great to use.

DD has an Advent which is fine too, both from PC world as we are no good with tech and they had lots to look at:thumbsup:

rickysmiths
09-05-2009, 08:51 AM
Just bought a Compaq from Amazon for my dd, it arrived yesterday! £359 same as it cost to buy mine last Nov from Pc World but without the hassle of going to the shop!!!!

I put the whole purchase price through my books cause it is used only by me for childminding and my scrapbooking business.

Its got plenty of room for my hundreds and hundreds of photos!! I do have an External drive to back up on and it is kept in a safe place far away from the laptop-just incase. I back up every week. The Drive cost £50-60? and has also gone through my books.

watgem
10-05-2009, 03:08 PM
Oh thanks you guys it will be for business use poor hubby is fed up of having to put all my stuff onto the desktop so I can find it lol! Off to have a look now:)

SmartKids
10-05-2009, 03:12 PM
I got mine from Dell as I have a friend who works with pcs and he said you get a lot for your money. You can also make your own specification and get a price online straight away. Mine too has a lot of memory and my own children aren't allowed on it so I could put it all through my books. Good luck and happy buying.

LOOPYLISA
10-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Me and hubby have sony vaios

Dd has a advent, all three are great, paid £300 for the advent, and the vaios were around £5oo, not cheap, but great

The Juggler
10-05-2009, 05:38 PM
I need advice about laptops please! I need to get one, it needs to be not too expensive have loads of memory for me to put downloads on, keep all my homework on it and photos but be simple to use cos I really don't understand computers! Also How do I work out the tax for it because it will probably cost more than £200? Any recommendations and advice would be very much appreciated hanks gem:)

For the books, check your NCMA guide. I think you have to put it down as a capital expense or something where you can claim so much back each year. If not, call local tax office, they will advise.

Forum Widower
10-05-2009, 10:04 PM
I got a Samsung R510 a short while ago, just over £300 and easily the best laptop i've ever had. Laptops are evolving rapidly and your use really does determine what sort of laptop you should buy. I bought the Samsung because it is my main PC and i need it to do everything. A cheaper alternative now though the the introduction of the netbook, generally much smaller than your standard laptop they have the same RAM and Processor capabilities as more conventional laptops but smaller hard drives and no optical (CD / DVD) drive. The bonus is the price. I've seen them starting at around £180. If you get a decent size external HDD and an external optical drive you could find yourself spending well under £300.

Anyhow, i'd better stop there, i could prattle on for ever on this subject. The best thing to do is dertermine exactly what you need it to do, how much you intend to use it and make a decision from there.

One thing, i wouldn't particularly go for a Sony VAIO. Having experienced both upper and lower priced models they are no better than any of the Compaq's, HP's, Acer's and now Samsung's that ive used. Definately a case of paying for the brand name.

FW

huggableshelly
11-05-2009, 06:56 AM
I do like my vaio just not decided to put it through my books or not yet as its not just for childminding.

my other option which is more likely is to sell my pc back to myself as its now for the children just not decided how much to sell it back to me for lol... it was custom built so not cheap but the kiddies do not use alot of the extras on it and my hubby is going to take some out and put it in his ........ whatever that means!

FizzysFriends
11-05-2009, 07:00 AM
I have just picked this one for DD

The brand new Acer eMachine E510 is a brilliant offering at a fantastic price and has just landed with us at Laptops Direct.

It`s the ideal buy for surfing the internet and using simple applications such as word and excel. The massive 160GB hard drive offers loads of space to store your favourite movies and media content, whilst 2GB Ram will ensure everything runs smoothly.

Built in wireless means you can access an increasing number of hotspots and have access to all of the info you need via the internet.

Processor (CPU): Celeron dual core T1400 (1.73Ghz)
Memory (RAM): 2GB
Hard Drive: 160GB
Optical Drive: DVD SuperMulti
Display: 15.4" Widescreen WXGA
Graphics: Intel GMA X3100
Communication: 802.11b/g Wireless LAN
Battery: 6 Cell
Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium
Warranty: 1 Year

Its just over £200.