PDA

View Full Version : To drop or not to drop?

jessie1
08-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Thats the question?

I moved house recently and apparently not a great need for childminders. Advertising at local newsagents. But our childrens centre doesnt take adds:(
The schools and nurseries doesnt either. I went to a school 2 weeks ago but then got too scared to do anything to the parents as I felt such an outsider and didnt know how to approach. There are 3 local schools to me and loads in the town but these are my nearest & two nurseries. I am sure some mom or dad had to go out of their way to change their hours to accomodate childcare. As there are such a lot of parents picking up their own kids. Are they all at home not working or are they forced to change their hours to pick kids up?

I now want to create flyers and do a local house drop. My DH says that people wouldnt like the fact that stuff are put in their letterboxes. So have any of you do flyer drops at the houses.
Please I am desperate as I just want to work

Daftbat
08-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Why not drop the flyers at the schools you talk about. Its easier to goive parents in the playground a flyer than actually talk to them about what you are doing.

Have you tried old fashioned postcards/flyers in local shop windows - post office, corner shop etc?

wendywu
08-05-2009, 11:34 AM
You could start it by saying somthing like

Sorry to interrupt on your lives/time.......then start the flyer.

That way you are stating you acknowledge that they may not like flyers through the letterbox. :)

jessie1
08-05-2009, 11:40 AM
thanks for replies. I have some very nice postcards made through VistaPrint. I got a 100 of them and I advertised that at local shops but unlike my previous area lots of people here dont want you advertising in their shop. My childrens centre said no as well yet there are loads of things advertised just walking in and that like tumbletots, sing and sign and similar things. All these people work for themselves as well. I understood my library as they said they advertise for non-profit companies.

Therefore just want to know how many people tried the local flyer drop and were they successful.

youarewhatyoueat
08-05-2009, 11:44 AM
I've just recommended to someone else looking for work to volunteer help at the toddler groups,childrens centre and even in school to listen to children read, I helped do arts and crafts at toddlers and make the coffee, I took my youngest, and ended up running it even after my son was at playgroup. Most of my mums knew someone who knew me.People will soon realise your friendly and will then remember you if someone is asking for a cm. Personally I hate flyers, it looks desperate, but thats my opinion. I did make cards with my name and contact details on,which I gave to people, who expressed an interest or knew someone that was after care.
Good luck
Caroline

Helen79
08-05-2009, 01:21 PM
I've never done a leaflet drop, I'm too lazy to walk around :blush:

I advertise in shop windows, the leisure centre, the baby clinic with the health visitor & have a poster in the doctor's waiting room.

Do the schools & nurseries do a news letter? If you ask nice enough they may add your details on the next one. I haven't actually done this so don't know if schools are happy to.

My local paper have a ladies page that I was thinking about advertising on but haven't got round to it yet.

Also my cm coordinator said that children's centres have to advertise you as they have to be seen to promote other local services, my children's centre won't advertise me as they are open 8am-6pm & holidays & I'm too scared to talk to them about it :blush:

hectors house
08-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Put a big advert both sides of your car, so when you park in the children's spaces in the supermarket - people with kids who park either side will see your advert - even if they don't want childcare now they may remember your name for another time.

Or how about putting leaflets under their car wipers or on cars outside schools - at least that way you know they have kids - putting leaflets through letter boxes is very hit and miss as to who has kids and a waste of your leaflets and effort. Good luck - hope the phone rings soon.

brillminder
09-05-2009, 09:57 PM
do you have a badge with" i am a child minder on ask about vacancies etc" Home made or purchased, ( our local timpsons make them) , the car idea is good, i always thinks its not necessary the person who see's / talks to you if maybe their friend who needs care, always carry some business cards etc with you, and be friendly etc, talk to teachers as often theyre asked for childminders, when new people move to area.
pm me for more ideas

singlewiththree
10-05-2009, 06:45 AM
Is there not a childminding group that you can join and get to know others and maybe they will pass on their number?

The Juggler
10-05-2009, 07:42 AM
Also my cm coordinator said that children's centres have to advertise you as they have to be seen to promote other local services, my children's centre won't advertise me as they are open 8am-6pm & holidays & I'm too scared to talk to them about it :blush:[/QUOTE]

This is absolutely right. Part of their 'delivery plan' is to promote local childcare services. I would get in touch with your children's information services or someone in the early years team at your Local authority.

Even if they have fulldaycare facilities they have a duty to offer parental choice in local childcare not nursery or nothing!

ChocolateChip
10-05-2009, 10:11 PM
My childrens centre say they can't advertise individual businesses in case it's seen as their reccomendation, they are only allowed to give general info out, like local CIS- not much point then really!

The toddler group idea is excellent, I got all mine through running a group or knowing people at school, our school will let you advertise in their newsletter.
Try any large employers like supermarkets, factories, etc to see if you can put a few cards in the staff room.

miffy
11-05-2009, 06:17 AM
Have you got your name on the FIS website yet?

You could try and find out from them or the NCMA if there is a childminders group in the area you could join - they may be able to pass on work

Miffy xx