PDA

View Full Version : do you use gloves to change bums!!

poppysue
07-05-2009, 12:16 PM
hi,
just wanted to see how many of you use gloves to change bums?
is it a MUST to use them or can we choose?
cant rem what they siad on the course. i know we did in the nursery but is it really a must on one child!
any feed back please x x:)

Pipsqueak
07-05-2009, 12:56 PM
no I don't as a rule - find them too awkward. I have some and if its a particuarly bad one then yes I would.

I use gloves if there is copious amount of bodily fluid

Pedagog
07-05-2009, 01:06 PM
If Ofsted are asking then yes I wear gloves.

If you are asking, then generally no, only if its dirty.

PixiePetal
07-05-2009, 01:09 PM
If Ofsted are asking then yes I wear gloves.

If you are asking, then generally no, only if its dirty.

Me too. The nappies I changed today were gloves on, no question yuk :rolleyes:

I use gloves more now than I used to as I just could not get on with them. Now I only use one as the other hand just holds clothes/legs out of the way. The 'working hand' I put a glove on :thumbsup:

rickysmiths
07-05-2009, 01:13 PM
Yes, I always use gloves, always have, they live in the changing basket with the nappies. I suppose it is just habit now.:clapping:

Daftbat
07-05-2009, 01:13 PM
I have never used agloves to change bums and have even done it when inspectors are here, social services etc. Its way too fiddly. So long as you clean your hands thoroughly after changes its fine. I always wipe my hands with a wet wipe which goes in the nappy sack and then wash my hands with soap and water too. Ofsted are looking at ways you manage health and safety not laying down exact requirements.

I know unfortunately some inspectors have been shown to be picky but its not written that gloves HAVE to be used. If i had a skin condition such as exzema (sp?) then i would use gloves.

Rubybubbles
07-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Yes, I always use gloves, always have, they live in the changing basket with the nappies. I suppose it is just habit now.:clapping:

same here:clapping:

I have had a child with worms a long time ago and thank goodness I was wearing gloves is all can say!!!!

deeb66
07-05-2009, 02:23 PM
I never used to but have to say that I do now.

I used to consider it way too fiddly but then I took on a child who's poo was always runny and I got sick to death of cleaning it out of my finger nails YUK :panic: :panic:

So I started to wear them but only on one hand (ie the one that does the mopping up!) and find it so much better and to be honest it has now become part of the routine!

Dee
xx

venus89
07-05-2009, 02:53 PM

I used to consider it way too fiddly but then I took on a child who's poo was always runny and I got sick to death of cleaning it out of my finger nails YUK :panic: :panic:

So I started to wear them but only on one hand (ie the one that does the mopping up!) and find it so much better and to be honest it has now become part of the routine!

Dee
xx

Think you may need to work on your nappy changing technique :panic:

Demonjill
07-05-2009, 03:21 PM

Dee
xx

TRIPLE YUCK!!!! lol:panic:

huggableshelly
07-05-2009, 03:25 PM
I wear one glove on the hand dealing with the mess or two gloves if its a big mess like mega poop puke or blood.

mum2two
07-05-2009, 03:37 PM
Same as a few of the others, only on one hand that's actually doing the cleaning up!

Habit now, that I just run out & hated doing it without today!

xx

Andrea08
07-05-2009, 03:54 PM
sorry just cana get use to wearing gloves and i know they are small and tight fiting but i till can't find any small enoug for my little hands lol

dont like then so i just wash up after and if a nappy is that bad i use the shower :D

Alibali
07-05-2009, 04:03 PM
I always wear gloves, years of working in a hospital, if I can change a nappy of a baby weighing under 2 lbs wearing gloves a toddler is a doddle!! Hate to think of getting poo on my hands:panic:

MissTinkerbell
07-05-2009, 06:14 PM
I don't because the first time I changed my mindees nappy with them on she freaked.

She had a dirty bum whilst Ofsted were here and I explained that I didn't use gloves because of the above reason and she said that as long as I washed my hands before and afterwards and was sensible about hygiene then I didn't need to use gloves.

Blackhorse
07-05-2009, 06:53 PM
I asked my CCO this tuesday and she said to definately wear them.
she even said to have disposable aprons in the house in case of a really bad nappy (or in case another CCO does my inspection...there seem to be some discussions going on about demanding disposable aprons for each nappy change) some CCO mark you down if you don't others seem more reasonable if you can show good hygiene anyways.

(at the induction training we were told where the apron thing came from:
here it goes: a cm changed a babies bottom while the inspection took place and she did that with the baby on her lap - how you do this is unknown to me - anyhow, she got poo on her trousers, but never got changed and went on to make the kids lunch. Inspector saw it and seemingly since then we are supposed to not only wear gloves but also aprons.)

I'd much rather wash my hands, but I think I will definately wear the gloves to make it a habit...:rolleyes:

ORKSIE
07-05-2009, 06:58 PM
I think if OFSTED are with you I would wear them just in case you get a fussy inspector:D
I dont normally wear gloves unless its a very yukky poo.
And if you dont wear gloves keep your nails short:eek:

charleyfarley
07-05-2009, 07:04 PM
I do wear gloves, have done for a long time so it's normal to put them on

Carol xx

Kelly
07-05-2009, 07:08 PM
Personally I always wear gloves for a dirty nappy, but do not always wear one for a wet nappy.

I have to be honest and say I find it hard to understand why people do things when Ofsted are there and not at other times, surely it's a health and hygiene issue. If you think that you do not need to wear gloves then stand up to Ofsted and say so, if you think you should but can't be bothered, maybe you should!

Sorry don't want to offend, but I can honestly hold my hands up and say I did not change anything when Ofsted recently visited, I wanted them to have a true reflection of what it is like in my house.

jeanybeany
07-05-2009, 07:19 PM
I always wear gloves and wouldn't dream of changing a nappy with out them!

I think it is best practice or maybe it's because I worked as a nursery nurse for many years before childminding!:) :)

poppysue
07-05-2009, 07:30 PM
well thank you soon much for all your views,

there are alot of diffrent views! but i do follow in good hygiene and will carry on who ever is around. like the lady kelly said why would we want to change the way we work if we think that we are doing the right way and what is good for everyone. as long as hygiene is at the top of the list at all times!

sometimes it does all get a bit much on what you can and cant do and ends up taking all the feel of home from home setting. :o

i do enjoy being with my cm kids and sometimes you/i just wish it was less filled with paper work and oh good i must do this... so on and so on!!
or im i alone in this one? !! :jump for joy:

but thanks ladys,
lisa x x :thumbsup:

Buzz Lightyear
07-05-2009, 08:27 PM
My initial thought to this was no, I wouldn't as I dont wear them when I change my own daughters however, further thinking about this, from November, I will have a 9-month old and to be honest, I think I will be wearing them. For some reason, it's an acceptable thought to have my daughters poo on me (not that I ever get any on me anyway!) but absolutely not to have someone elses childs on me :ROFL1: yuk!

Winnie
07-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Always. Ever wondered why ambulance men arrive with gloves on? or the A&E doctor & nurse pop them on or the HCA wears them on the ward? Why would i think that i'm immune just because i'm a childminder??
Years ago i went yellow & the doctors thought i had hepatitis, scary few days. What i had was glandular fever & it affect my liver- it recovered :) I do not take chances with my health, its Precious.

Megan
07-05-2009, 10:00 PM
As per environmental health you shuld wash your hands, put gloves on, rewash hands after you remove gloves and you should be wearing a disposable apron.

Megan

wendywu
07-05-2009, 10:38 PM
Yes i do use gloves.

But it dont arf make a mess of me mittens makes all the wool yucky ( only joking):laughing:

Chatterbox Childcare
08-05-2009, 07:29 AM
No but I do clean my hands with anti bac gel before and after EACH child

Hooligan59
08-05-2009, 11:04 AM
Yes, for dirty ones, but not usually for wet ones. Used to find them a real bind to get on as I have inherited large hands, but have found some that go on better now!

Not sure about the apron issue though. It is just another expense, and I would never change a child on my lap - usually sit on the floor to do it!

My Ofsted inspector yesterday didn't suggest I used an apron, so I won't.

Bananabrain
08-05-2009, 12:41 PM
I have gloves and aprons..................................in the cupboard.

Having said that,I am currently poorly and I'm pretty sure that i've caught something from 2 yr old mindee.

I've had him for about a month and I'm not sure mum's hygiene is too hot at home{he often smells really unwashed and of wee,bless him}

Think I will be digging out the gloves this weekend.

Bananabrain
08-05-2009, 12:45 PM
well thank you soon much for all your views,

there are alot of diffrent views! but i do follow in good hygiene and will carry on who ever is around. like the lady kelly said why would we want to change the way we work if we think that we are doing the right way and what is good for everyone. as long as hygiene is at the top of the list at all times!

sometimes it does all get a bit much on what you can and cant do and ends up taking all the feel of home from home setting. :o

i do enjoy being with my cm kids and sometimes you/i just wish it was less filled with paper work and oh good i must do this... so on and so on!!
or im i alone in this one? !! :jump for joy:

but thanks ladys,
lisa x x :thumbsup:

No you are not alone,I am constantly paranoid that one of them is going to have an accident or that I am going to get into trouble for not having done something. Spoils the time with the children sometimes.

Cazz
08-05-2009, 12:56 PM
I think if OFSTED are with you I would wear them just in case you get a fussy inspector:D
I dont normally wear gloves unless its a very yukky poo.
And if you dont wear gloves keep your nails short:eek:

Trouble is, you're bound to have a child turn around and say "why are you putting those on?" and drop you in it!

We were told on our ICP course that you should wear them and don't do anything different during Ofsted inspections as you can always rely on children to be too honest!

Carole x

Ally
08-05-2009, 03:13 PM
As a rule I don't wear gloves unless it is a really yukky one!! I have been in Dees position (under the nail :eek: ) Not pleasant. When Ofsted came I did have one on the working hand although having said that it was a bad nappy!! :)

Ally

mammumof4
14-05-2009, 05:58 PM
sorry for being thick but we are talking disposable gloves arnt we??:blush:
i think i will use them, as for apron, i might keep a few in my nappy basket incase i get a child who comes down with a tummy bug :eek:

Buzz Lightyear
14-05-2009, 06:04 PM

Hee hee, yes mammumof4 :thumbsup: I somehow dont think winter or gardening gloves would suffice as the poop would leak in - yuk :laughing:

Pipsqueak
14-05-2009, 06:19 PM
:doh:
Hee hee, yes mammumof4 :thumbsup: I somehow dont think winter or gardening gloves would suffice as the poop would leak in - yuk :laughing:

lol:laughing: thats why I couldn't get on with gloves then !!!- disposables not my thick wooly winter ones:doh: :D

Pipsqueak
14-05-2009, 06:20 PM
i think i will use them, as for apron, i might keep a few in my nappy basket incase i get a child who comes down with a tummy bug :eek:

hun - you ain't being 'thick' if you genuinely need to know the answer:)

Buzz Lightyear
14-05-2009, 06:21 PM
Oh I wasn't being patronising, mearly trying to make a joke. Oops, hope I've not offended there :o Apologies if I have!

Pipsqueak
14-05-2009, 06:22 PM
Oh I wasn't being patronising, mearly trying to make a joke. Oops, hope I've not offended there :o Apologies if I have!

noooooo - no need to apologise BBB, don't think anyone took it as patronising (I hope) - I am just in daft mood with silly answers to sensible questions!!! (as usual):D

ORKSIE
14-05-2009, 09:34 PM
I wear gloves when it really poopy!!
Just a wee i dont worry:thumbsup:

nannymcflea
16-05-2009, 10:10 AM
I wear them, though sometimes I find I have ran out or haven't got any in my bag when out.:eek: You can guarantee that when I'm out the nappy will be a yucky one and I have no gloves! I always have alcohol gel with me incase the toilets are dirtier than my hands!