PDA

View Full Version : Where do i start????

mum2kacynkira
06-05-2009, 09:17 PM
I'm looking to being a childminder, i live in warrington, I've been speaking to other childminders but they dont live in cheshire, how do i get on the pre reg course??? how long does it take or does it depend on how quick you do the course?? what do you have to pay for and how much??? what insurance do you have to get??? i've seen something about a grant does this depend on how much you earn or does everyone get it???

thanks for the replys sorry their is loads of questions its all very confusing but something i really want to do.

Pedagog
06-05-2009, 10:07 PM
Best place to start is your Local Authority Early Years team, will be part of family services or something similar. Look here (http://www.warrington.gov.uk/childrenandyoungpeople/childcare/careersinchildcare/recruitment.aspx)

Courses times etc vary depending on whee you are, they will tell you everything you need to know about insurance etc.

The start up grant here pays for your ICP, First Aid, NCMA membership and Insurance, Food Safety course and Health Declaration.

Zoomie
07-05-2009, 12:38 PM
I remember being ping-ponged between NCMA and FIS at the beginning. Eventually I found the right person and booked for my induction course.

Hope you have managed to speak to someone

pinklady756
07-05-2009, 02:56 PM
You'll need to attend a pre-registration briefing which will tell you all you need to know about childminding and the application process.

I'm not sure if it's the same accross the country but in this area the session lasts about 2 hours. Here we also have to attend an Ofsted Session (another 2 hours), which is when you get all the information about applying to Ofsted, all the forms you need and details about about the training available/required.

You'll need First Aid Training and Childminder Training at least. I was told to expect the whole process to take at least 6 months. You can however (in some areas) apply to Ofsted before all the Childminder Training is done and have a set timescale from the date of registration in which to complete the training.

I think most areas fund a lot of the training, so it shouldn't cost a lot.

Hope this helps.

Daddy Day Care
07-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Thats exactly how its worked for me pink (with the pre registration session and Ofsted session).

All the courses are paid for here, we had a card sent out with a training number on that the local colleges take.

You use to be able to apply for a grant here as well to help with the start up fee's for new toys, home improvments etc but unfortunately they have stopped that.

Gareth
xx

pinklady756
07-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Gareth - I'm in Northants too, so that explains the identical process.

Did you complete the new Common Induction Standards? I'm trying to find out a bit more about them, so am glad to have found someone in the same area.

Shame about the grant eh! I'm quite lucky that I'll be working alongside an already established childminder so won't have all the start up costs. It's a good job as I don't have children in Early Years age and would have to start from scratch.