PDA

View Full Version : How do you choose which job to take?

Lady Haha
06-05-2009, 08:46 PM
Hi, I find myself in the same situation as I had this time last year and I messed that up big time!! last year two sets of parents visited me about caring for their child after school and at the time, I was determined to keep my numbers down to four so we could all get in the car, so I only had one vacancy. I offered it to the first parent who visited and said she would need to give me a deposit and sign contracts etc which she said she would do the following week. She knew I had another parent interested.

Well, I tell second parent that I have filled vacancy but she gets all upset, saying she will do anything to have the place and will come round straight away with deposit!! Putting my business head on, I decide to go with the parent who is paying first and told the other mum that I had decided to go with other child as he is a boy and hers is a girl and this would balance out the children better! ONly excuse I coud think of at the time!

I knew deep down I had done the wrong thing, but seriously, the other mum was almost in tears!!! Well, to cut a long story short, I ended up taking the tearful mums son on last Sept and then feeling guilty as sin every time I saw the other mum at school cos she couldn't find childcare. I ended up taking on her daughter in January and getting a bigger car!

Anyway! Today a mum at school approached me asking if I was a childminder and did I have any after school vacancies for Sept. I now have one space left in the big ole car of mine!!! I said yes, I have one vacancy and told her I would bring my pack in for her tomorrow that way she can read it and get back to me if interested.

At 6.30pm this evening I get a phone call enquiring about an after school vacancy in Sept!!! I told her I do have one and she is coming round on Friday to visit me. I mentioned to her that some one had already asked me today, but should I tell the other parent that some one is visiting on Friday now? I don't want them 'fighting' over me!! Or any tearful mums again!

I don't want to get in the same mess I did last year, so what do you say to the parents when they visit if you have others coming too? I obviously know now not to offer anything til I have met everyone, but how do you choose? If the hours are the same, the kids are as nice as each other etc!

And I can't go by first impressions of mums, as I got that completely wrong with the last two, but won't go into details!

Daftbat
06-05-2009, 08:54 PM
I think you have to give the first mum a chance for the place. You can take the second mums number and advise that if the first one does not go as planned then you can contact her.

Lady Haha
06-05-2009, 08:56 PM
I think you have to give the first mum a chance for the place. You can take the second mums number and advise that if the first one does not go as planned then you can contact her.

So I've already messed up:panic:

First mum is getting pack tomorrow when I see her in playground, but second mum is already scheduled to visit Friday!!!

Mouse
06-05-2009, 09:07 PM
I would tell both mums that you've already got someone interested, but they can have the place if the other one decides not to take it.

Then you can make your mind up which one you'd rather take on & tell the other that the the first person has decided to take the place. It gives you a bit of breathing space to decide what you want to do.

And if you really can't decide...toss a coin :laughing:

Demonjill
06-05-2009, 09:07 PM
So I've already messed up:panic:

First mum is getting pack tomorrow when I see her in playground, but second mum is already scheduled to visit Friday!!!

No you not messed up. You are entitled to talk to whoever needs your services. This gives you a better idea of what everyone wants and lets you know what kind of people they are and whether you could forsee any problems further down the line.
I understand your worry after what happened before but you cannot dwell on these things and you have to treat each case individually.
Put simply get as much info from both options before YOU decide dont let THEM decide for you.:thumbsup: Good luck

haribo
06-05-2009, 09:13 PM
just tell first mum to make her mind up quick if she wants you!! seriously though,you havent messed up its difficult when you have to decide who to give a place to.. i know i probably shouldnt but i tend to decide who i think i get on better with lol im not usually wrong ( well have been once or twice ) take your time and tell them both you will get back to them then you wont make a rushed decision. or am i completely wrong and we have to go on a first come first served basis, i just do what seems better for me really

Blackhorse
06-05-2009, 09:18 PM
No you not messed up. You are entitled to talk to whoever needs your services. This gives you a better idea of what everyone wants and lets you know what kind of people they are and whether you could forsee any problems further down the line.
I understand your worry after what happened before but you cannot dwell on these things and you have to treat each case individually.
Put simply get as much info from both options before YOU decide dont let THEM decide for you.:thumbsup: Good luck

I agree.
Meet both parents and see firstly if both will actually want to place their lo's with you once you discussed a few things...then it is up to you who you want to choose.
I don't think it needs to be a first come first serve basis. It is your business and if two people are wanting a place you can decide which one you want to offer the place....that is at least what I would do!

Lady Haha
06-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Thanks for all your advice (so far! I will keep reading!)

I can't decide between the two yet as only spoken to one on phone, but she came across as quite brash! The one at school seemed nice enough, but she was really young and didn't seem very sure of what she was after really. Got the feeling she might be going to college or something.

I feel awful, cos I know that I am the only cm left who picks up at that school with a vacancy(there are only three of us as it is!) And the after school club went bust, so it means that once my vacancy is filled, anyone else looking for childcare is gonna really really really struggle, to the point they may have to give up their jobs or something.

I don't even 'need' another one, I just can't help thinking that any of my parents could be made redundant at any time etc, so better to be full up if I can be!

Might have to get a mini bus!:idea:

uf353432
07-05-2009, 10:53 AM
I would just be open and honest with both parents, advise them that minding places are in short supply and you are getting enquiries from other parents as well.

I think when you have sat down and chatted with both parents you will know the right one to take on, one will sit right. But also bear in mind that you have some time between now and Sept and any current mindee's might fall out of the picture including any prospective ones, so even if you don't take on one, you can keep their details and start a waiting list phoning them first if a vacancy comes up. If you get on with the other minders picking up at the same school you could also share her details with them if they have a vacancy - perhaps charge a finders fee lol!

Lady Haha
07-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Well, I couldn't find the young lady in the playground today, morning or pickup times, to give her the pack and she obviously didn't come a searching for me! Whats the betting that the other one doesn't turn up tomorrow now!

It has given me a boost though, feel pretty confident that I can fill that vacancy by Sept!

mushpea
07-05-2009, 08:28 PM
good for you being so busy and staying confident. if it were me i would invite them both round (seperatly) and see what the parent and the child seemed like then go from there on decisons.
I am glad you said you wouldnt take on more than your car space, at the moment me and my parnter car share so when hes in work he uses it and then i have it on other days and its only a 5 seater but we are thinking of buying a second car although then i would only take on the right amount of kids for the car.
think the idea of you keeping numbers and making a waiting list is good too.
hope it works out for you

Lady Haha
08-05-2009, 01:09 PM
Well, a little update! I found the first mum at school today and gave her the pack, I told her I had some one visiting today about the place and for her to read through the pack and ring me asap if she was interested. She said 'what does that mean then?' so I told her I would basically have to choose between them as I only had one vacancy. She said ok and off she went.

The other mum arrived bang on time today and half twelve. I immediately liked her! She didn't bring her son as he was at nursery and she wanted to get a feel for the place herself first. She was very friendly and bubbly and she works full time so is after full time after school and hols! She has a really good job and her son has been in full time nursery since he was a baby, so it's a pretty reliable job for me. She was panicking because I only have three days available in hols and she already knew I was the only one left (done her homework!) She said she was definately interested, had the deposit and everything, but needed to sort those two days out and get back to me.

After she left I had a brainwave, my son is eight in Jan and so won't count in my under eights any more! I rang her straight away and told her and she now thinks I'm the bees knees as I have taken that stress away (after having given her it in the first place:rolleyes: ). She said she can cover the once week in Oct and is off work herself Christmas. She is ringing back over the weekend to talk some more. I am going to ask her to bring her son over to see us before and if we sign contracts though, just in case there is a 'reason' he wasn't here today!!!!!

And as for the other lady, she hasn't even rung me yet! To be honest, I didn't get a good 'feel' for her. I know that sounds mean, and how can you judge some one in a couple of minutes. Just see if she rings and if she wants to visit.

Should I just go with the one I already have a good feeling for or give this other lady a chance?

Thanks for listening again!

hectors house
08-05-2009, 01:16 PM
A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush - get the contract signed and the deposit in the bank. xxx

Ally
08-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Go with your instinct! In general that is what gets us through life!!!:rolleyes:

Ally