PDA

View Full Version : Childminding networks

Mouse
06-05-2009, 08:44 PM
Who is a member of their local childminding network? What are the advantages of it?

I'm thinking of looking into it, but wonder whether it's worth it.

fiona
06-05-2009, 08:49 PM
Hello, i'm a member and if i'm honest i dont notice the difference!!!! there was a folder to complete when i started but i havent seen any one or noticed anything different, maybe thats just me, i'm happy to be left to get on with my job!;)

carebear25
06-05-2009, 08:50 PM
im just in the process of joining mine i did it for the support and meetin other childminders in the area, get 2 go on visits an find out about workshops bein done. U get observed 2 which i think wil help 2wards Ofsted visits.

xx:)

ORKSIE
06-05-2009, 08:56 PM
I am in a Network, we get together once a mpnth, have people come in to talk about stuff EG Healthy eating:)
We talk about our concerns, issues.
I find it very helpful and i feel i'm not alone, I can ask them for help if i have concerns with a child( With parents permission)
Not saying that I cant ask all of you's for help, cos i know i can:)

manjay
06-05-2009, 09:00 PM
I have just had my introduction evening tonight. I have been on the waiting list ever since I registered. For me it is mostly about training and CPD as there is very little training in our county. Through the Network I will be able to then become accredited to deliver EYE which will again increase training opportunities. Another biggie for me was the community placements that our network deal with which run alongside the volunteer work I do.

Fiona-not sure how you are a member and not see anyone! Unless it runs very differently from ours (which I understand it may do as I am in Wales) I am expecting regular visits from the co-ordinator and we have to attend meetings once a month.

I understand it is not for everyone but for me it is something I really want to do.

Playmate
06-05-2009, 09:04 PM
We don't have networks in Hertfordshire. We did have one but it collapsed because it was too expensive to run. :crying:

madasahatter
06-05-2009, 09:38 PM
I'm in one. Because my area is very well funded for early years with respect to training/support groups etc, all it really means to me is the acknowledgement that I operate to higher standards than ofsted's minimum (and I am 'inspected' (or supported) by my coordinator on a much more regular basis than by ofsted). I do get a free day trip for my minded kids once a year though, organised by the network, which is nice.
I see it as a kitemark sort of thing.

TheBTeam
06-05-2009, 09:42 PM
In Hemel we have been told that we are part of a network if we go to our Childrens centre meetings when held for childminders! Wow

Heaven Scent
06-05-2009, 09:43 PM
I've joined mine. - am supposed to be gaining a temp mindee as a result and have to complete a quality programme exclusive to my area. - but it isn't a recognised/national quality assurance.

rickysmiths
06-05-2009, 11:05 PM
In Hemel we have been told that we are part of a network if we go to our Childrens centre meetings when held for childminders! Wow

We are the same in Rickmansworth!!

huggableshelly
07-05-2009, 07:17 AM
same here but I've never paid out for anything other than courses ... network childminders get these for free dont they?

Mouse
07-05-2009, 07:58 AM
Thanks all.

I didn't realise there was so much variation in networks around the country. I think I need to look into what ours offers.

louloudi
07-05-2009, 08:36 AM
I've just recently joined mine I feel the main benefit for me is having the chance to meet up people who know what it is you actually do for a living and get to discuss aspects, get advice and support.

Sometimes its the only opportunity i get to meet with adults!!!

avril
07-05-2009, 08:48 AM
I'm a member of my local network too.

We have extra training nights, freebies, toys we can borrow and ofsted seemed impressed when I said I was joining the network at my last inspection so that has to be a :thumbsup: We also find out extra bits of info that come in useful too.

I recommend joining :D

aly
07-05-2009, 09:11 AM
Who is a member of their local childminding network? What are the advantages of it?

I'm thinking of looking into it, but wonder whether it's worth it.
I've just completed the 10 standards {yesterday} so we shall see if they accept me lol

The Juggler
07-05-2009, 05:44 PM

except that you're not quality assured!

Willowdancer
07-05-2009, 06:57 PM
I have no idea if we even have a network that I could join. Great communication around here :eek: :mad:

happytotschildminding
07-05-2009, 07:26 PM
Yep I joined one - its great - activities for mindees to do during meeting, training organised, grown up conversation with people doing same as me, advice if needed, more reassurance for parents as its quality assured, and I'm piloting a forest schools project and go to cluster group meetings to help us with EYFS. I would have been a bit lost without it.
Carol

miss mopple
07-05-2009, 07:55 PM
I'm a member of ours and Ive found it to be a huge selling point to parents :)

From my point of view its a great way to meet other minders, there is a good support network, the training is good and there are regular drop ins which I can go to :clapping:

Cant really think of any down sides at all actually. Its all good :D