PDA

View Full Version : Early Years Funded Education

sdean
06-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Are any of you accredited to offer Funded Early Years Education?

How do you find this? How does it affect your daily practice? Does it involve more paperwork?

Has it been worth while? Do you get many enquiries for it?

Sorry lots of questions I know - I just want to get other childminder's perspective on it that are actually doing it! thanks !!!:)

rickysmiths
06-05-2009, 11:02 PM
I think you will find that all registered childminders now have to deliver EYFS the same as nurseries, reception class in school and pre-schools so there should be no difference in the paperwork.

The govenment have made a major bo bo with this because all of us should be able to offer our parents the funding.

However, at the moment local authorities are setting boundries and these vary according to where in the country you live.

Heaven Scent
07-05-2009, 01:17 AM
Well actually as usual childminders who do get it do have to jump through more hoops then any other providers to get it - but I've been told that there is again talk of them funding 2 year old places and that this time it is going to go to childminders as the government are now back tracking on their idea that all children should be in nurseries and now feel childminders are best for the younger ones and so we will be able to provide funded places for them but again we will have to jump through those dreaded hoops and some of these may mean having some sort of quality assurance and a level 3 qualification and be members of the local Network etc etc - the list will no doubt get longer (be over 5'2" but under 5'3", have red hair with blonde tinges and have one blue eye and one green with brown fleks etc etc)

Don't get me started GGGGGGGRRRRRRRRR:angry:

nell57
07-05-2009, 07:00 AM
Well actually as usual childminders who do get it do have to jump through more hoops then any other providers to get it - but I've been told that there is again talk of them funding 2 year old places and that this time it is going to go to childminders as the government are now back tracking on their idea that all children should be in nurseries and now feel childminders are best for the younger ones and so we will be able to provide funded places for them but again we will have to jump through those dreaded hoops and some of these may mean having some sort of quality assurance and a level 3 qualification and be members of the local Network etc etc - the list will no doubt get longer (be over 5'2" but under 5'3", have red hair with blonde tinges and have one blue eye and one green with brown fleks etc etc)

Don't get me started GGGGGGGRRRRRRRRR:angry:

Hi HS I've been told the same thing here in Stoke.

Should have no problems with the second lot of criteria you suggested in this area;) :laughing:

louloudi
07-05-2009, 08:32 AM
this idea of free entitlement for under 3 is worrying me!! if children are offered free hours in nurseries its obvious where parents are going to put their children. At the end of the day it all comes down to money and childminders lose out again!!!!:angry:

If we are all implementing EYFS why shouldn't childminders be allowed to offer this service!!! I thinking of starting a campaign as NCMA tend to do nowt to promote us !!

sdean
07-05-2009, 11:21 AM
The 2 yr olds issue is the reason I am looking into it to be honest!

The Juggler
07-05-2009, 05:25 PM
this idea of free entitlement for under 3 is worrying me!! if children are offered free hours in nurseries its obvious where parents are going to put their children. At the end of the day it all comes down to money and childminders lose out again!!!!:angry:

If we are all implementing EYFS why shouldn't childminders be allowed to offer this service!!! I thinking of starting a campaign as NCMA tend to do nowt to promote us !!

If the 2 year olds are at nursery they'll still need a minder to take them and fetch them though.

My understanding is a relevant level 3 and good to outstanding ofsted rating. However, our LA are not setting up a quality assured network so the choice is removed despite all my hard work

nannymcflea
07-05-2009, 05:54 PM
I'm a Network minder who is also accredited to take funding for 3-4 year olds.

I did a lot of work to get onto the network, attend meetings monthly for the network and am assessed every 6 weeks or so within the network.I am expected to attend every training course possible, keep up to date with legislations and amend my policies accordingly.

To be accredited I have to attend more monthly meetings, fill in paperwork for funding,get parents to fill in paperwork, do a headcount termly and wait for my money to come in from the council!

I have to liase with playgroups, plan according to the EYFS taking the child towards their early learning goals.

I did feel slightly more under pressure with a funded child, though I don't suppose I should have.

I have no funded kids at present but still attend meeting and fill in paperwork! Worth it? The money was more than I charge so I suppose so for that reason.

rickysmiths
07-05-2009, 06:18 PM

I think that comment is a little unfair. Have you been to your local areas NCMA Forum Meetings? Are you on the committee of the forum? Have you found out what they are doing for you?

I have just joined a County Forum in Hertfodshire, run by NCMA staff who are trying to improve things for childminders, get more grants and one of the things we dicussed at the first meeting last week was the very subject being dicussed in this Thread.

You will find your local NCMA Regional Forum is trying through consultation with us to change things. The sad thing is that as ever very few childminders bother to attend these meetings. They are open to all members. So all of you members, get attending!!! That way we can effect change, we are a body to be reckoned with are we not so, get your feeelings out there!

I am on the committee of my area forum, I am a busy childminder, I work 50 hours+ a week but I feel it is the only way to go.

Deb
07-05-2009, 06:56 PM
In a nutshell I dont think it is going to be worth my while, my local authority offers less than my hourly rate and to be frank I cant see how I can offer 15 hours flexible free entitlement without the parents having to take other services. ie the parent has to be able to have completely free, 15 hours over no less than 3 days - so that is just 5 hours a day, at less than my hourly rate which prevents me from taking a 10 hour a day child on for much more money. Not financially worth it, nor the extra meetings and paperwork I will have to do.

Our LA is considering offering the entitlement for 2 year olds in certain circumstances to childminders as well as children's centres.