PDA

View Full Version : Term time only retainers

Sarsar3NCH
10-02-2008, 06:49 PM
If you charge a retainer for school hols for term-time only children, how do you word it? Do you word it that you are still available if the parents need you in hols, or that retainer is to keep place open for next term? I have parents that I do this for (dad is a teacher) but they ring up at very short notice (sometimes night before) to have the 2 children in hols, sometimes for whole summer. I have new mindee and don't know if I should word it differently this time.

Can I ask for, say, two weeks notice if they need me or should I be available at a moments notice as they are paying me a 50% retainer??

Sarah

crazybones
10-02-2008, 07:04 PM
I have just done this in advance of 3 of mine starting senior school in September. I am presuming they wont come before or after school any more but they may want me for the holidays. I have put 4 weeks notice as I may not hear from them inbetween hols for 6 weeks or more. They know when school hols are well in advance. If you tell them you need 4 weeks notice now and they ring at short notice then its up to you if you accept them or not. The retainer would have to be pretty decent to keep places open for such periods of time.

Annie x

Sarsar3NCH
10-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Sorry, my post may have been confusing, these are under 5s that I have during term time but teacher parents pay me 50% retainer in hols but expect to be able to use me at the drop of a hat

Sarah

Twinkles
10-02-2008, 07:38 PM
sarah, I work for a lot of teachers and they know that they have to give me at least two weeks notice if they want me in school hols. Sometimes something unexpected comes up though and I will mind at short notice, but only if it fits in with my plans.

deeb66
10-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Hi Sarah

I used to look after 2 children that was term time only and charged a retainer during school holidays.

I used to state that I would be happy to have their children during the school holiday and that they would then pay me full fee for that period that they were with me.

I wrote it in my contracts that they had to give me at least 1 whole weeks notice if they wanted me to have the children. If I was unable to have the children and they did not give me sufficient notice then the retainer fee was still payable.

This will stop the parents from messing you around.......if you would prefer 2 weeks notice then put that in your contract.

Hope this helps

crazybones
10-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Sorry, my post may have been confusing, these are under 5s that I have during term time but teacher parents pay me 50% retainer in hols but expect to be able to use me at the drop of a hat

Sarah

It wasnt you being confusing, it was me not reading properly. I am sorry :blush:

Annie x

LittleMissSparkles
10-02-2008, 08:12 PM
Hi Sarah

I used to look after 2 children that was term time only and charged a retainer during school holidays.

I used to state that I would be happy to have their children during the school holiday and that they would then pay me full fee for that period that they were with me.

I wrote it in my contracts that they had to give me at least 1 whole weeks notice if they wanted me to have the children. If I was unable to have the children and they did not give me sufficient notice then the retainer fee was still payable.

This will stop the parents from messing you around.......if you would prefer 2 weeks notice then put that in your contract.

Hope this helps

thats great advice dee and something I hadnt done was ask for notice that they would need me in the school holidays, I think I will do letter to parents explaing what you said do you think that will be ok or does it need to be in their contracts ???

xxxx

manjay
10-02-2008, 08:15 PM
I have a term time only family and I have written in their contracts that during school holidays they will have one full days minding per week (giving 2 weeks notice) as I am blowed if i am going to keep a space for them for 2 hours a day!!. One full days minding works out the same price as they pay for after school care so it just means she is paying me the same each week.

amanda xx

deeb66
10-02-2008, 08:20 PM
thats great advice dee and something I hadnt done was ask for notice that they would need me in the school holidays, I think I will do letter to parents explaing what you said do you think that will be ok or does it need to be in their contracts ???

xxxx

You could do a letter to let the parents know but if you ever had an enforcement issue then you may encounter problems as it is not in their contract.

I would therefore say it is better to put it in their contract when it is due to be renewed.....but obviously it is up to you Susan.

LittleMissSparkles
10-02-2008, 08:39 PM
You could do a letter to let the parents know but if you ever had an enforcement issue then you may encounter problems as it is not in their contract.

I would therefore say it is better to put it in their contract when it is due to be renewed.....but obviously it is up to you Susan.

thanks for the advice Dee xxxx

miss muffit
11-02-2008, 07:27 AM
Hi I thought it was a retainer keeping the place as you cant take anyone else on for school teachers children. I have never had a parent ask me to have the children in the hoildays and if i did i would expect to be paid again for this. what contracts do you use? K

Sarsar3NCH
11-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Thanks for all advice, lots of great help. I will definately think about adding this to contracts when they are renewed.

Thanks again

Sarah xx