PDA

View Full Version : i feel like im loosing the will to live!!!!

emmadines
06-05-2009, 05:23 PM
My mindees have this thing for leaning back on the chairs when at the table. I have asked them, told them and even made them stand up if they cannot sit properly....... Im running out of ideas.
I had one of my mindees fall backwards on the chair as she was using 2 legs instead to the needed 4..... shes ok just gave her a lil scare. Today the same mindee started to do it again, you'd think that after yesterday she'd not do it but hay ho off she goes leaning.... I told her not to again and was alot sterner, I also said to her that it will happen again and that she could get really hurt or even hurt someone else..

what do I do??

then theres the boys and this horrid play fighting,......again I have asked and told them not to do this, I just really dont like it..... anyway the older brother hurt his younger brother by punching him in the face (albeit unintentionally) but this is what Im trying to avoid!!!

again Im constantly repeating myself, I feel like im talking to a brick wall as all 4 of my boys are doing it, this is including my own son.

Im starting to not enjoy this job and am thinking of looking for a job outside the home.... i really dont want to as i am here for my children and also earning at the same time...

ive been officially reg for a year now, please tell me this is a year blip and that its normal.... any suggestions would be great!!!!!

sorry ive rambled on again:(

mandy moo
06-05-2009, 05:37 PM
My mindees have this thing for leaning back on the chairs when at the table. I have asked them, told them and even made them stand up if they cannot sit properly....... Im running out of ideas.
I had one of my mindees fall backwards on the chair as she was using 2 legs instead to the needed 4..... shes ok just gave her a lil scare. Today the same mindee started to do it again, you'd think that after yesterday she'd not do it but hay ho off she goes leaning.... I told her not to again and was alot sterner, I also said to her that it will happen again and that she could get really hurt or even hurt someone else..

what do I do??

then theres the boys and this horrid play fighting,......again I have asked and told them not to do this, I just really dont like it..... anyway the older brother hurt his younger brother by punching him in the face (albeit unintentionally) but this is what Im trying to avoid!!!

again Im constantly repeating myself, I feel like im talking to a brick wall as all 4 of my boys are doing it, this is including my own son.

Im starting to not enjoy this job and am thinking of looking for a job outside the home.... i really dont want to as i am here for my children and also earning at the same time...

ive been officially reg for a year now, please tell me this is a year blip and that its normal.... any suggestions would be great!!!!!

sorry ive rambled on again:(

Yay, (me too) a year goes passed so quickley doesnt it?
As for the play fighting, all I can suggest is that as soon as they start, have something ready to distract them with prehaps, depending on their ages, colouring, junk modelling, playstation if you have them, failing that put them out side and ask them to collect bugs or something

As for the chair and 2 legs, if she old enough, make her stand up for a while at the table or whatever, prehaps she might get the idea then:blush:

Roseolivia
06-05-2009, 05:37 PM
I feel exactly the same. I get more response from my dog than the mindees sometimes. One of my mindees kicked me last night 3 times in front of her mam just because i was going to tell her mam about her spitting at someone.
My pet hate is teatime. One mindee is so fussy, if there's food we're eating that he doesn't like (i make him sandwiches or ravioli) he makes stupid noises or says it's disgusting etc. My daughter has now started to copy and sometimes messes on at the table. I was always taught table manners and we ate at a table which is what i do with my daughter and mindee. Sometimes i feel like giving up, not just because of mindees but because of not having quality time with my daughter (even though that's the reason i childminded) and not havu=ing a home anymore. Think mines the 1 1/2 year itch.

huggableshelly
06-05-2009, 05:38 PM
I used to pull the chair away from the table leaving the child on it so they couldnt push themselves then put them back to the table to try and sit nicely again .. repeat for longer if it doesnt change anything hopefully the child will realise her food is getting cold or the others are now having pudding and she is still on her maincourse!

as for the boys they are only doing what boys do but i do agree with you play fighting isnt to be done in your home .. what they do in their home is up to their parents.

so how about sitting down discussing the issues and making some house rules between you all as a team then come up with a way to reward good behaviour so if they do not fight they gain a sticker for the day or a mark on a chart which will allow them to get a special treat such as an activity they really enjoy .... so 5 marks/stickers for the week will give them a craft activity or a game they like to play or cooking etc something they enjoy and will work hard to get.

youarewhatyoueat
06-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Mine are into star wars and are play fighting with light sabers and if I take them away they just use fingers etc. They have rules that they have to follow which they have made up.Like not hurting,punching,etc.

I'm hoping to go on a training session next week called tuning into tom all about boys and in june i'm going on super hero and weapon play as research now promotes the use of super hero and weapon play in early years settings.

I kind of feel that boys have been doing it for generations so saying no is not going to work they have to be taught the skills to play fight without hurting etc. I am remaining open minded about the course and will let you know!!!!
Is anyone else going on it in gloucester?
Caroline

emmadines
06-05-2009, 05:59 PM
you know i have loads of chinese tubs :blush: (i save them up lol)

i might get them out tomorrow and bug hunt. you watch, it will rain tomorrow) ive ordered a butterfly thingy (sorry cant remember the name) which is supposed to attract them to tthe garden with a lil bit of necter and the bright yellow.

emmadines
06-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Mine are into star wars and are play fighting with light sabers and if I take them away they just use fingers etc. They have rules that they have to follow which they have made up.Like not hurting,punching,etc.

I'm hoping to go on a training session next week called tuning into tom all about boys and in june i'm going on super hero and weapon play as research now promotes the use of super hero and weapon play in early years settings.

I kind of feel that boys have been doing it for generations so saying no is not going to work they have to be taught the skills to play fight without hurting etc. I am remaining open minded about the course and will let you know!!!!
Is anyone else going on it in gloucester?
Caroline

their brothers so it turns into anything goes and one always ends up getting hurt

Daftbat
06-05-2009, 07:00 PM
Have you thought about putting car booster seats on the chairs? depending on the height of the children their feet may no longer touch the floor. It would make them think further about it and then perhaps after you have experienced a meal time without the problem you can talk to them on a more positive note about why its bad idea to rock the chairs.

mummyof3
06-05-2009, 07:35 PM
You just described my day I had to re-read the post and check I hadn't posted it in my sleep!! :laughing: You are not alone!!

9yr mindee fell off chair this morning she looked for sympathy and I laughed and told her thats why I tell you to use the four legs - she looked at me horrified ;) (just want to point out she wasn't hurt before I am reported!! as harsh as it sounds I hope she now learns from that).

My little boy wears tshirt slogan 'boys will be boys' it is such a true statement and its usually my boys that are play fighting and ignoring me when I tell them to stop :rolleyes:

Maybe have a little chat with parents about the play fighting and explain you are worried they are going to really hurt themselves they get a little over enthusiastic.