PDA

View Full Version : Retainers - work in August

Miriam
06-05-2009, 08:58 AM
I have had my first enquiry from a mum who has a 10 month old little boy. She was going to use her mum to look after the lo but her mum is moving from Wales and her house sale has fallen through. She is talking about me having him from August. I am a bit worried that I would hold the place for him then Granny would appear in July say and then they won't need me! Should I at least charge a retainer - if so how much? It would fit well with me to have a 3/4 day a week lo from August as I still need the golden CRB's back and they havent even made it to the CRB tracking service yet - so still got ages to go!!!

Sorry, I am so new to this, only passed pre-reg last week and not really sure what I am doing with fees etc yet!

Daftbat
06-05-2009, 09:04 AM
Hi,

I would charge a non refundable deposit which would equate to the first months fees. You can decide if you want to make it refundable but make sure you insist on plenty of notice if you go down that route (per haps 6 weeks before you would be due to start).

You can't guard completely against this sort of thing going pear shaped but a deposit would be the norm.

singlewiththree
06-05-2009, 09:07 AM
I would charge a deposit too and then its refundable off the first fees. Some parents can't afford a month when its 3/4 days a week so I tend to look around the £200 mark.

Curly Quavers
06-05-2009, 09:51 AM
I would charge a deposit too and then its refundable off the first fees. Some parents can't afford a month when its 3/4 days a week so I tend to look around the £200 mark.

I agree with you on this, that way the parent will feel better about it because she knows she will get back when the child starts.

Miriam
06-05-2009, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the advice thats great to know that I should charge a deposit. I think I would make it refundable off the first months fees. Just got to try and get the business now!! It really is only a vague enquiry at the mo, but you never know! :)

rickysmiths
06-05-2009, 11:43 AM
I thought you were not supposed to take a deposit or retainer if there is no contract. If you are still pre reg then you can not sign a contract? I would have thought you might need to be careful. I know it must be frustrating but it soiunds as if you may have a way to go if you CRBs haven't been processed yet.

Miriam
06-05-2009, 09:04 PM
Can't i just do a contract even though I am not registered then give her a proper registered NCMA contract when I get registered. How else do people get mindees on their books while they are waiting to be registered?

Maybe I seem very impatient but I guess I feel like everyone in that it is so hard to just wait and wait and not know when I am going to be able to mind - especially as I am not working right now and I really need to get a regular income again. :(

Daftbat
06-05-2009, 09:07 PM
I think Ricky is right. I misread that earlier. You can't really formally offer a place until you are registered. If parent is happy to wait then you can agree to take child on but no deposit. Sorry!

manjay
06-05-2009, 09:25 PM
I know how frustrating it can be. My registration took 12 months and I lost lots of potential mindees in that time but unfortunately there is not much you can do. I just gave everyone a vague time when I thought I would be ready and hoped they could wait. Some did, some didn't:(