PDA

View Full Version : **Daily Diary help needed**

misst104
06-05-2009, 07:46 AM
Hi everyone

I am just wondering how much information everyone includes in their daily diary that goes to parents? Do you just put basics in eg. what the child ate, sleeptime, toddler group attended etc or do you go into alot of detail?

Getting a bit confused what with learning journeys, obs, scrapbooks and everything else........

xxx jo

sarah707
06-05-2009, 07:55 AM
Things the child has done / said / particularly enjoyed;

Outings;

Things the child has eaten;

Sleeps and rests;

Nappy changes;

Highlights from the day;

Notes to inform parents for the future ...

I use a school notebook and tend to write about a page (one side) a day, sometimes a bit more if I've time and if it's a busy day I'll write less.

Hth :D

huggableshelly
06-05-2009, 07:59 AM
I also note down any obs I've done which jogs parents to request to look at their childrens journals.

singlewiththree
06-05-2009, 09:26 AM
I use an A5 notebook and use one side each day I usually just do it like this (example with 13mth old I have). I usually put a time by the snacks/meals and nappy change so they know when it was last done.

TODAYS DATE

Really enjoyed standing up unassisted at keyboard and loved the noise he was making.

Cars

Bikes

Sand

Favourite was the balloon he kept kicking it like a ball

FOOD -

DRINK -

NAPPY CHANGE -

louised
06-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Mine is really simple, just descriptions of what we did and what time. I don't write down what they have eaten as I send menus home every week so parents don't give them the same as what they've had for lunch. I used to write a few paragraphs but really struggled to find the time, so now I leave the diaries open in the window sill and write in the time and what we did as we do it.

Example:

8.20 -freeplay
8.40 -school run
9.15 -toddler group
11.15 -outdoor play-sand and water
12.30 - lunchtime
1.00 - sleep
2.30 - storytime-hungry caterpillar
3.00 -school run
3.40 -snacktime-toast
4.00 -freeplay

marian
06-05-2009, 01:32 PM
I send a 1/2 a A4 sized pre -printed 'note' called MY DAY home each day

It has their name and the date , then is divided into -eating and drinking, sleeps, nappies/toileting, activities and a space at the bottom for anything else...... such as reminders that fees are due, outings for next day/ week etc

I used to send a book home with them when I first started but it was 'forgotten/ lost/not read etc so I switched to paper

Marian x

clorogue
08-05-2009, 08:10 PM
I do offer daily diaries, but not all parents wants one. Is that OK for Ofsted?

wendywu
08-05-2009, 08:22 PM
I use the ones Angel put on that her friend very kindly let us use. The Dora and Night Garden etc.:)

RachelE
08-05-2009, 08:27 PM
I use a notebook for each child - whether the parent wants it or not!!

After working in a nursery, I decided if 2 parents arrived at the same time,I couldnt always remember how many ozs of milk etc a child had drunk at what time.

I put the headings:- sleep times, food times,nappy times.

I then put activities for the day at the bottom - brief outline of toys and activities and where we have been. - NO essay (made that mistake with my first child 7 years ago and after getting writers cramp whilst juggling a screamer, then no more!!)

I write in the front that the parents can add any comments - and most do.

This has always come back in the bag each day, with only the odd day forgotten.

haribo
10-05-2009, 08:20 PM
i dont send the diaries home anymore they never came back still fill them in and parents see everything evrty couple of months but was getting frustrated so now have a quick chat at hometime and its working ok

miffy
10-05-2009, 08:36 PM
I use an A5 sheet a day - split into morning/afternoon with space for what we had for snacks/lunch/tea. Space at the beginning for anything parent tells me when they arrive and at the end for them to sign and comment.

Parents sign them daily and then they go in children's files

Miffy xx

becks
11-05-2009, 12:29 PM
I use an A5 book and use a page per day. I keep it really simple, i note down food eaten, drinks/bottles, nappy changes all with the time at the side then at the end of the day i write a paragraph about what weve done that day.

Allie
13-05-2009, 09:50 AM
I give parents as much or little information as they want, I also encourage them to add to the diary information about their child eg bad night, family advents etc

Allie

SlummyMummy
13-05-2009, 11:25 AM
I have always used small notebooks but I am changing to loose leaf sheets that I will keep in A5 plastic wallets. I will pre-print the sheets withdetail such as nappy changes, amount eaten, nap time and how long, etc. I will also slip in a planned menu at the start of each month to save time writing down what we have had.

Good idea to add in observations......:clapping:

Andrea08
13-05-2009, 12:50 PM
i dont send the diaries home anymore they never came back still fill them in and parents see everything evrty couple of months but was getting frustrated so now have a quick chat at hometime and its working ok

i dont send home now too because it never came bk but if i get a new family i would offer daily diary sheets for parents to keep i found one on ere once and printed it off,, think it had dora on and bubbles to add quick notes eg time had sleep lunch,, tea,, etc

i keep the diary as a journal now but when lo leaves in a few wks im not sure what system ill do just home i get some new mindees

Daftbat
14-05-2009, 02:51 PM
I do offer daily diaries, but not all parents wants one. Is that OK for Ofsted?

A record of what the children have been doing and info about sleeping, eating etc is good practice. So long as you can show how you are communicating with parents to an inspector then you should be ok.

helenlc
07-06-2009, 07:45 PM
I use the Daily Diaries off the BCMA website. Its A5 sized and pre-printed with

Date
Meals
Sleeps
Nappy Changing
Account of day
Notes to Carers

Its very good and quick to fill in

Chimps Childminding
07-06-2009, 07:49 PM
I use an A5 notebook. Jot down sleep, nappies, what they have eaten, amount of milk etc. also any notes to parents ie need more nappies etc. and the odd note about what they have done

I use the childs "All about me" book to put in photos of activities, arts etc.

I only usually carry on the daily diary until the child is about 12 months old, unless the parent request otherwise!

sushila09
30-06-2009, 06:44 PM
Mine is really simple, just descriptions of what we did and what time. I don't write down what they have eaten as I send menus home every week so parents don't give them the same as what they've had for lunch. I used to write a few paragraphs but really struggled to find the time, so now I leave the diaries open in the window sill and write in the time and what we did as we do it.

Example:

8.20 -freeplay
8.40 -school run
9.15 -toddler group
11.15 -outdoor play-sand and water
12.30 - lunchtime
1.00 - sleep
2.30 - storytime-hungry caterpillar
3.00 -school run
3.40 -snacktime-toast
4.00 -freeplay

Hi is this good enough as it can save me so much time and i have been worried sick of what to write i do have photo but have no ideia of what to write and i have kids comming all the time and a waiting list but am thinking of giving up as cant cope with paperwork
Sushila09

sushila09
30-06-2009, 09:43 PM
I use a notebook for each child - whether the parent wants it or not!!

After working in a nursery, I decided if 2 parents arrived at the same time,I couldnt always remember how many ozs of milk etc a child had drunk at what time.

I put the headings:- sleep times, food times,nappy times.

I then put activities for the day at the bottom - brief outline of toys and activities and where we have been. - NO essay (made that mistake with my first child 7 years ago and after getting writers cramp whilst juggling a screamer, then no more!!)

I write in the front that the parents can add any comments - and most do.

This has always come back in the bag each day, with only the odd day forgotten.

Can you please tell me how you get time with 5 to 6 kids if this is the case'[as i find it hard .

Sushila09

sarah707
01-07-2009, 06:50 AM
Can you please tell me how you get time with 5 to 6 kids if this is the case'[as i find it hard .

Sushila09

Hello! Good to talk to you yesterday :D

You have to be very organised.

You will only have 3 under 5s (in the Eyfs) ... and you will only have 1 baby who needs you to write more, so it's not that much writing if you get a system in place.

The way I do it is to lay all the books out on my desk with a pen close by.

As something happens, I jot it down in the relevant book... it really is a quick note, not writing essays.

Ofsted like you to show communication with parents, so do ask them to make comments in the book. If they won't / don't / can't then write down anything they say and highlight it. That way you are showing evidence of 2 way communication.

Hth :D

sushila09
01-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Thanks i will try may be it is quite simple.
Sushila09:)

mrs c
01-07-2009, 03:17 PM
It can be simple, as long as you don't make it an essay. Even just bullet points of what the child has done/where you have been and get the parent to sign.

Mollymop
01-07-2009, 03:54 PM
here is an extract from one of my daily diarys (23 month old)

25.06.09 _

L went on school run in buggy, made us all laugh by shouting "Stop, come back!!" to the other children if they walked in front of the buggy.
Walked L most of the way home from the schools, stopped in local shop, L helped me chose some bread.
Played outside (suncream adminstered) in sandpit and on slide. Helped me hang the washing out. She really enjoyed this.
We also potted a Bagonia plant today. L wasn't sure about getting her hands dirty though!
10.15 - Snack - yogurt
Tried L on potty , sat there for a while but didn't go today.
Nappy (wet)
Nap at 11 until 12.45
lunch - L ate most of her packed lunch except her banana.
Nappy (wet)
Played outside in sandpit and in wendy house. (suncream adminstered)
L said "this fun!" when on the seesaw swing with A.
Story time and puzzles. L liked to take the pieces out and put them back in again.
2.40 - school run time. Had a trantrum because she wanted to take her shoes off, taking them off and I was putting them back on again!
L was put in timeout afterschool for a few minutes when she smaked me on the face. I explained to her that is was not a very nice thing to do.
She looked upset. We had a cuddle later.
4.00pm - nappy (wet) and snack - biscuit.
Freeplay until hometime.

Hth xxx