PDA

View Full Version : first steps

jaytravis
06-05-2009, 06:24 AM
the little boy i look after took his first steps with me yesterday i know it was his first as mum and sis break their necks to tell me everything he does lol
do i write it in his learning book nithis daily diary if i do and write the date when mum has it she will she the date or do i leave it then write it when she sees it as well

pumpkinsmum
06-05-2009, 08:19 AM
I personally would not put it down anywhere and wait until Mum has seen him walking first. The one thing I dreaded when my lo was looked after by a childminder was that I would miss his first steps. I'm still not sure if they were with her first but I like to think they were with me:)

nannysue
06-05-2009, 08:25 AM
I don't tell them any significant firsts, its such a shame that parents miss these moments. I tend to say " i don't think it will be long now" and hope the child does it at home . Its such a difficult one isin't it. :)

Curly Quavers
06-05-2009, 09:56 AM
I don't tell them any significant firsts, its such a shame that parents miss these moments. I tend to say " i don't think it will be long now" and hope the child does it at home . Its such a difficult one isin't it. :)

I totally agree I would have been devastated if it were me. It is hard enough leaving your kids even with fantastic childminders without missing all the good bits. (speaking from experience)

FussyElmo
06-05-2009, 03:53 PM
Agree with the others dont tell let her think he did it for her. I was gutted that my ds took his for his dad:blush:.

Toothfairy
06-05-2009, 04:52 PM
I agree, I don't mention first steps etc. I know as a Mum I would be devestated if I did'nt get to see it first.

Alibali
06-05-2009, 07:29 PM
I've never seen a first anything:littleangel: :littleangel:

donnadoo2004200
06-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Definately dont tell. Let mum see it for herself

Mouse
06-05-2009, 07:48 PM
Yep, I agree with the others.

My little mindee crawled for the first time today & all I said to mum was that she was really close to doing it. Hopefully she'll have done it again at home tonight, but if not I'll just wait till mum tells me she's done it.

And my 4 year old mindee walked here a good 2 weeks before she walked at home. I didn't ever let on to her parents.

Tily Bud
06-05-2009, 07:55 PM
I always ask parents when i take on their child whether they want me to tell them or leave it for them to tell me x suprisingly most of them want to be told :eek:
But i think if i had not had the chat with the parents in the first place i would leave it for them to tell me xx

Mouse
06-05-2009, 08:00 PM
I ask as well and the parents have usually said they don't want telling!

sue
06-05-2009, 08:04 PM

this is what l do, its something l think the parents should enjoy seeing for themselves one of mine took first steps here 4 years ago but l kept quiet and the joy on their mums face told me l did the right thing.

huggableshelly
06-05-2009, 08:07 PM
I wouldnt tell parents but would make a note in my personal diary then note the first steps when the parents has told me in their learning journal

Cazz
06-05-2009, 08:31 PM
I agree with everyone - from a personal view I wouldn't want my childminder to tell me as it's such an significant milestone. My own dd has only recently started to walk and hubby told me she took 4 steps towards him when I was at the shops but I refused to believe him and he let it drop as I think he could tell I was a little upset to think she had not done it for the first time when I was there!

I think it's a good idea to ask parents which they would prefer as some people probably wouldn't mind being told and if the child spends the majority of their waking hours with a childminder instead of them the chances are that the milestones are going to happen then.

We got Megan her first shoes on Friday and they're "Cruisers" so they're quite light but she still looked like she was moonwalking when she first put them on - very cute!

Carole x